When do you choose to end a Month or Month?

When do you choose to end a Month or Month?

Member since 2021 · 2 posts · 0 votes



I'm curious what you would do in this situation. I have a tenant with a lease that converts to a month to month on July 1st. For the last 12 months, the tenant has paid on time 9 times. They have paid late fees and were very upfront on knowing they would be late the other 3 months. They have never been late in back to back months. Rents have exploded in the area. If I went for a tenant turn, I could add $300 to the rent and still be below the live listings for comps in the area. They just reported that they will be late this month. My concern is the planned payment date is one pay period from the next payment due date. I'm worried it will be more problematic now. The tenant has an essential job in healthcare and Covid has not been a problem. I was planning on doing  a binder method to the tenant and getting a raise in rent locked in. Now, I'm not confident they can pay the current rate consistently, much less a market rate. So at what point is the cost of a tenant turn < occasional late rent? Options - 1. Stay at current rent and tenant. 2. Binder method with current tenant. 3. 30 Day notice to end lease and find tenant that can afford market rates.

0Reply
30 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · Rochester Hills, MI · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
5y

I would do an inspection of the property so you have all the facts on hand.  You can determine what the cost of a tenant turn would be and then crunch some numbers.  Without this info you are really just guessing.  

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Rochester Hills, MI · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    I would do an inspection of the property so you have all the facts on hand.  You can determine what the cost of a tenant turn would be and then crunch some numbers.  Without this info you are really just guessing.  

  • Member since 2019 · 118 posts · 74 votes
    5y

    @John Williams

    Rents are going up and if you do not raise your rent, then you are leaving money on the table. If your current tenants cannot pay your rent on time and in full every month now, then they will not be able to afford a rent increase.

    I agree with @Scott M. to get all the facts first. I do put value on keeping good tenants, and I consider turnover and what that will cost me. However, as rents climb and the gap gets wider between what you are charging now and what you can raise rents to come up to market or just under, then I would be more likely to choose #3.

  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    5y

    Given what you have posted, I would give them notice and start over. You are coming into the good season and I don't see any good reason to keep on with what will eventually be an eviction situation. 

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • Specialist · Easton, PA · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    @John Williams

    I just gave 30 days notice to an 18 month tenant. Pays on time every month, but other issues as of late. I’ll re rent for probably $200 more

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.