Best places to sublet in Oahu for subletters

Best places to sublet in Oahu for subletters

Member since 2021 · 4 posts · 0 votes

Hello all! New to bigger pockets found this from a Brandon turner book. I’m looking to sublet on Oahu. I currently have a place in pearl city I sublet but it was a lot of convincing for landlord to allow me to do so. My question is does anyone have experience doing this on Oahu and where is the best place to do short term rentals (30 days or more because of laws) also is it better to try to convince larger apartment complex buildings or smaller duplex’s which are managed by owners instead of property managers? Any advice I’d appreciated!

0Reply
30 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · Kaneohe, HI · Member since 2020 · 193 posts · 163 votes
5y

Hi Adam - I recommend trying with smaller "owner managed" properties rather than with property managers.  You'll likely have better success dealing directly with an owner as most property managers will likely be risk averse to subletting - especially in this market.  

And for best areas to do it, I'd focus on areas that are most desirable for tourists and/or locals - these will likely be most lucrative for you.  If you find anything, you're welcome to share with me.  I know of 2 different individuals who are planning to visit O'ahu next couple months and are looking for places to rent.    

Good luck 

See this reply in the discussion

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Kaneohe, HI · Member since 2020 · 193 posts · 163 votes
    5y

    Hi Adam - I recommend trying with smaller "owner managed" properties rather than with property managers.  You'll likely have better success dealing directly with an owner as most property managers will likely be risk averse to subletting - especially in this market.  

    And for best areas to do it, I'd focus on areas that are most desirable for tourists and/or locals - these will likely be most lucrative for you.  If you find anything, you're welcome to share with me.  I know of 2 different individuals who are planning to visit O'ahu next couple months and are looking for places to rent.    

    Good luck 

  • Investor · Brandon, MS · Member since 2017 · 55 posts · 23 votes
    5y

    Hey @Bryan Vukelich I’m working with a couple that owns a home with 2 units and could have a 3 rd 2 bedroom unit built on the property. They want me to run it for them and lease it out. Could I call you and ask you some questions sometime?

  • Michael BorgerPro Member
    Rehabber · San Diego, CA · Member since 2010 · 500 posts · 208 votes
    5y

    I did this for a while when I was a grad student at UH Manoa. Find a mom and pop owner of a place with multiple rooms -- sign a master lease with a right to sublet. Screen your tenants and you should be reasonably ok.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.