Radiant element glass top stove not working. Fix or buy?

Radiant element glass top stove not working. Fix or buy?

Mississauga, Ontario · Member since 2016 · 2 posts · 0 votes

Ok I am not sure if this is the best place to post this but the stove in the rental property we bought looks nice (stainless steel) but one of the heating elements is not working. I opened it to check and saw there was a break in the continuity of the element. Looked online for an exact replacement and YIKES!!! $260 CAD for a replacement only (I will have to install it). I see ones that look the same but have a frigidaire logo instead of LG and have the same size for $50 USD on amazon (USA)... Are these things cross-compatible? Or should I just buy a brand new stove with a warranty from ikea for like $450 (not stainless steel)

0Reply
15 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Upstate, NY · Member since 2012 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
5y

Go online to "repairclinc.com" they have a wealth of knowledge on appliance repairs & OEM product cross compatibilities.

We had a Samsung glass top circuitry fail on us & using the model # & Serial # I called Samsung & found it was warranted for 5 years so they 'eventually' showed up & replaced the entire glass top. Been running for another 5 years. 

We also had the marble counter top install guys break the ceramic glass top of our Siemens Induction Cooktop. That cost them $980, but at least they honored it.

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Upstate, NY · Member since 2012 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5y

    Go online to "repairclinc.com" they have a wealth of knowledge on appliance repairs & OEM product cross compatibilities.

    We had a Samsung glass top circuitry fail on us & using the model # & Serial # I called Samsung & found it was warranted for 5 years so they 'eventually' showed up & replaced the entire glass top. Been running for another 5 years. 

    We also had the marble counter top install guys break the ceramic glass top of our Siemens Induction Cooktop. That cost them $980, but at least they honored it.

  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    5y

    I've replaced them before. The replacement is relatively easy but unless the stove was fairly new I wouldn't do it again. I found that as soon as you were at the point of replacing the element, the top wasn't far from death. The "super-boil" elements get used more than the other elements and so that element (and that part of the glass top) wear out faster than the rest. I've done two where that element and the top both went bad, and not together, so that I had spent money on one and then had to on the other. 

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • Mississauga, Ontario · Member since 2016 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    5y

    That part from repairclinic is $189USD. Thanks for your help guys. I am just thinking of trying my luck with a used/refurbished replacement for like $80 from ebay. If any other element goes out in the next few months, I'll just buy new. I am so glad I got replies in the first place lol

  • Rental Property Investor · Upstate, NY · Member since 2012 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Khalid Ansari:

    That part from repairclinic is $189USD. Thanks for your help guys. I am just thinking of trying my luck with a used/refurbished replacement for like $80 from ebay. If any other element goes out in the next few months, I'll just buy new. I am so glad I got replies in the first place lol

    So now you can post a Youtube on your replacement experience !!! 

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    5y

    @Khalid Ansari it was very easy for ours,  just plug in but you have to open the top, you need to be sure you have the right part. Less  disruptive then a new stove. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.