Why do you generally issue 30-day no cause notices? (Oregon)

Why do you generally issue 30-day no cause notices? (Oregon)

Investor · Ashland, OR · Member since 2018 · 202 posts · 38 votes

I'm curious, what are some of the reasons you decided to go with issuing a 30-day no cause notice in the state of Oregon (in the first year of someone's tenancy)? 

I have a problematic tenant who has lease violations, but I'm not sure how to go about providing adequate proof to the courts for an eviction. 

Would it be easier to issue a 30-day no cause notice? At least with a 30-day notice, there's nothing to prove, no issue or hassle. I've never evicted anyone before, and only bought this property a year ago.  

0Reply
16 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Rochester Hills, MI · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    When you say first year of someone's tenancy do you mean they are someone in the middle of a 1 year lease? They are not on a month to month?

    What kind of violations do they have in your opinion?  

  • Bjorn AhlbladPro Member
    Investor · Shelton, WA · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    5y

    The 30 day notice would be my first choice and hopefully the tenant chooses to cooperate. Check your local laws I seem to recall Oregon has 60 days and LL pays moving costs? Anyway check I am not in Oregon. All the best!

  • Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 691 votes
    5y

    @Ellie Narie "A “no-cause” eviction means that your landlord is not giving any reason for the eviction. The notice must clearly state the date that the tenancy will end. In private rental housing, it is not necessary for either party to give a reason for ending the tenancy, although a landlord may not give such a notice for an illegal reason."

    But, if this is government subsidized housing, you cannot evict a tenant with a no-cause notice. 

    Read more here:  https://www.osbar.org/public/l... 

    Hope that helps!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.