Rent increase for one of my tenants

Rent increase for one of my tenants

Investor · O'Fallon, IL 62269 · Member since 2021 · 134 posts · 44 votes

I sent a certified letter starting Sept 1, 2021; there will be a rent increase of $75.00 for one of my tenants. If they don't pay the rent increase by Sept 1, what do I do from there? Do I serve her a 30-day notice to vacate the property... And also, how do I make sure I get whatever rent is owed to me throughout September if she doesn't pay what I increased it to...

0Reply
16 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 691 votes
    5y

    @Jayden Hamilton I'd reach out to confirm they received it (or have your PMC do it if you have one). They might have missed it, or might claim to if you didn't confirm. 

  • Dick RosenPro Member
    Property Manager · Gilbert, AZ · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 451 votes
    5y

    I always send out the rent increase as a lease renewal offer and they must sign and return 30 days prior to lease expiration. If they don't return it I change their status to MTM and tac on a MTM rent premium. This will also get the tenant to give you notice to vacate in a timely manner rather than moving out on the last day and not telling you.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.