Landlord or tenant garage door repair

Landlord or tenant garage door repair

Member since 2020 · 7 posts · 2 votes

I have a tenant who recently sent a repair request to my property management concerning the garage door not working. The tenant sent a general request (garage does not close). I requested further information tenant sent pictures and video of interior of garage. I requested pictures of exterior of garage. Based on the video and pictures which included cracks in the middle of garage door, tear/pry marks to the outside corner and the handle loose/separated from base I believe this is malicious damage. I told the PM tenant is responsible for repairs and provide date and pictures of repair. My concern is the PM countered in a follow-up email in essence contends the damage is normal wear and tear and now the PM wants to send a garage technician to evaluate and provide estimates. What does my BP people see as potential issues and any suggestions moving forward. Thanks for any response. Bruce G in California

0Reply
70 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 10k+ votes
5y

If you think it was damaged and you want the tenant to pay for it make sure you’re ready to prove they damaged it. What if a neighbor backed in to it or a thief tried to break in to it?

Send out the technician first to make sure this is an amount worth fighting over. Then I personally would look at the tennants history of repair requests. Are they nit picky or is this their first complain in years? how old is this garage?

If this is your biggest concern at the moment you are golden. :-)

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    5y

    @Bruce Gaines A break in the middle of the door in a wood door, it might have been hit.  Loose handle I think would be wear and tear. Sharing the exterior pictures  might help.

  • Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    5y

    If you think it was damaged and you want the tenant to pay for it make sure you’re ready to prove they damaged it. What if a neighbor backed in to it or a thief tried to break in to it?

    Send out the technician first to make sure this is an amount worth fighting over. Then I personally would look at the tennants history of repair requests. Are they nit picky or is this their first complain in years? how old is this garage?

    If this is your biggest concern at the moment you are golden. :-)

  • Real Estate Broker · Rochester Hills, MI · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    To be honest @Bruce Gaines going off of what you said I would tend to disagree with your opinion on the matter.  You really made a case for a break in.  And if that is what it was it would be your responsibility.  Truth is, we don't know and unless you left something out (besides the photos!) there is no proof either way, no ground for you to say so confidently that this is a tenant caused issue. 

    I agree with your PM that this is 100% not normal wear in tear.  Maybe the tenant got locked out and broke the handle off and tried to pry it open.  Maybe there was a break in attempt.  Unless the tenant says they did this how can you prove it?

    You need more info.  

  • Member since 2020 · 7 posts · 2 votes
    5y

    @Bill Brandt thanks for the advice, the tenant is nit picky a prior request was for something he damaged which required multiple inquiries to get to the truth and make him pay for damage. This appears to be a pattern with tenant vague repair request and when I request further follow up it seems like or is his responsibility.

  • Member since 2020 · 7 posts · 2 votes
    5y

    @Scott M. WOW!! This is why I reach out to the BP family for honest feedback. I can not download pictures at this time but the tenant is aloof and vague requiring several request for pictures and information plus pictures that leads me to believe the damage is his responsibility. I never thought to consider it would be my responsibility if an attempted break in occurred or someone backed into garage. Scott thanks for the feedback.

  • Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    5y

    @Bruce Gaines

    See, this is the kind of information that would push me from 80% landlord’s responsibility towards 50/50 or I’m not so sure. If it’s sub $1,000 repair I would probably cover it and then at the next lease renewal offer it at 5 or 10% over market. Then either they will move out or you’ll feel like you’re getting paid to deal with them if you’re only $25-$50 over market nobody moves for that. It would take more than a year to cover moving expenses. Plus, occasionally you find out you weren’t really over market even at that higher rent. 

    I just had a long term tenant move out i was sure I was charging an extra $100/mo ($1395 instead of $1295). The new tenant moved in 2 weeks later. (Not found a new tenant in two weeks, moved in 2 weeks later.). They’re paying $1850. 

  • Member since 2020 · 7 posts · 2 votes
    5y

    @Bill Brandt congrats on making lemonade from lemons. GREAT advice, thank you.

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    5y

    I agree with Bill-if it is a small amount and you can't prove they did it, then pay it and up the rent at lease renewal-especially if they are a high maintenance tenant.  I would also do a walk through when you are there next and take photos, so you know what the condition was.

  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    5y

    You don't have to prove the tenant did it in Michigan, you just have to be able to prove it's NOT normal wear & tear.

    A tenant is required to return a property to their landlord in the same condition they received it, normal wear & tear excepted. Most judges will also rule acts of nature are not the tenant's responsibility.

    Anything else IS the tenants responsibility! 

    We've successfully collected against tenants for breakin damage several times. It's no different than leasing or renting a car, where you would be responsible for any damage from a theft attempt. 

    Same goes for family, friends, guests, neighbors, etc. who may damage the property.

    Of course, tenants believe they should not be held accountable for anything.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.