Inheriting tenant towards end of the month

Inheriting tenant towards end of the month

Member since 2020 · 6 posts · 3 votes

Hello BP Friends,


I  just closed on my first multifamily property (out of state) and one of the units is currently occupied with a month-to-month tenant.

I have mailed a formal introduction letter letting them know how to pay rent moving forward and submit maintenance requests. The letter won't arrive until Friday and I wanted to give them a heads up of this information since I'll be using Apartments.com to collect rent. I understand it can take 1-3 days to verify a bank account before the tenant can use the ACH transfer payment method.

The previous property manager provided me their phone number but they didn't have their email. Are there any concerns if I reach out via text to the tenant asking for their email so I can send the intro letter formally via email as well?

I wanted to give them ample time to get everything set up before the 1st. 

Wanted to hear from fellow BP members what their thoughts are on this approach. 

Thank you!

0Reply
30 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Monroe, WA · Member since 2018 · 177 posts · 98 votes
    5y

    All communication is good communication. A phone call followed up by a text if needed is completely appropriate. An introduction to who you are and setting the stage for communication is ideal and I would suggest a tenant would appreciate a personal heads up to what they can expect in the mail from you.  

    • Member since 2020 · 6 posts · 3 votes
      5y
      Originally posted by @Tracy Minick:

      All communication is good communication. A phone call followed up by a text if needed is completely appropriate. An introduction to who you are and setting the stage for communication is ideal and I would suggest a tenant would appreciate a personal heads up to what they can expect in the mail from you.  

      Thank you Tracy. That was my thinking as well. 

  • Real Estate Broker · Rochester Hills, MI · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    Always best to ask the seller/current PM to make an introduction via text, call, email, letter to the new owner/manager.  I would give the current owner/PM the contact info you want the tenant to have and they should tell them as of X date to contact you.  

    No matter if they do that or not, you should of course reach out to provide simply and clear directions and information.  They will likely call the PM / Seller so that is why it is good they have the contact info you want them to have as well.  

    • Member since 2020 · 6 posts · 3 votes
      5y
      Originally posted by @Scott M.:

      Always best to ask the seller/current PM to make an introduction via text, call, email, letter to the new owner/manager.  I would give the current owner/PM the contact info you want the tenant to have and they should tell them as of X date to contact you.  

      No matter if they do that or not, you should of course reach out to provide simply and clear directions and information.  They will likely call the PM / Seller so that is why it is good they have the contact info you want them to have as well.  

      Thanks Scott. That's a great approach. Will reach out to the prior PM and ask them to share my contact info with the tenant. That way tenant isn't confused by a new phone/email addressing them about their rent. 
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.