Property Manager · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
How are property managers/investors who have mulitple units (50+) handling key management? I’d love to have something with a master key and also something thats easy to re-key.
- landlordlocks.com seems like a great option, although their website is terrible which makes me question their professionalism - anyone have experience with them?
- Kwikset Smartkey looks like its easy to re-key at turnover, but I don’t think it has the option to create a master key - am I missing something?
- Kiwkset 816 Key Control Deadbolt - this one has two cylinders so I think one can be a master key, and one can be rekeyed for tenants at each turnover - anyone using these that can confirm?
- Anyone using electronic keypads? Are there good options that don’t require them to be connected to the tenants wi-fi?
Any other options or things I need to consider when putting together a forward looking plan for large scale key management?
Investor · Los Alamitos, CA · Member since 2014 · 35 posts · 18 votes
5y
@Joe Norman Appreciate your update. Knowing they are Amish actually softens my attitude towards their site! lol.
I've hummed and hawed about this decision for so long already that it's time for me to just pull the trigger. I think I'll go with the landlordlock option but only roll out 20 and see how it goes. I'll circle back to you in a few weeks to check in. Have a great week and thanks again for the update!
Investor · Los Alamitos, CA · Member since 2014 · 35 posts · 18 votes
5y
Hi @Joe Norman! I've been circling this question for a few months now. I've looked into all the options you've mentioned above and I was between Landlordlocks and the Kwikset Key control deadbolt.
I spoke to the people over at Landlordlocks about 3 weeks ago and they walked me through the whole system. The biggest problem I saw with them was the cost to upstart my units. But it has remained my top option and just today I was set to order through their website.
I already knew their website was bad (brochure style) but their order page is the worst. Doubt crept in with the purchase I was just about to make and I decided to do a quick search for other user reviews and found this post. Your comment about questioning their credibility resonated with me for sure. The order page is that bad. I've got 74 units I'm keying for so for us, this is a major investment.
Curious as to what you ended up going with? Yes, I'm hoping you can tip my scale to one or the other!
Property Manager · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
5y
I ended up going with the Kwikset Key Control Deadbolts but am not 100% sold on them yet. I've had some issues with rekeying the Master/Landlord key to be consistent across all my locks which I'm not sure if its user error or what. I still have some trouble shooting to do before I'm sold on this system but I have high hopes. Feel free to check in with me in a week or two - I'd be happy to do a video chat to show you my system when I'm comfortable with it.
Someone above did comment that the Landlord Locks people are Amish and that that might have something to do with the poor website.
Investor · Los Alamitos, CA · Member since 2014 · 35 posts · 18 votes
5y
@Joe Norman Appreciate your update. Knowing they are Amish actually softens my attitude towards their site! lol.
I've hummed and hawed about this decision for so long already that it's time for me to just pull the trigger. I think I'll go with the landlordlock option but only roll out 20 and see how it goes. I'll circle back to you in a few weeks to check in. Have a great week and thanks again for the update!
Elizabethtown, PA · Member since 2016 · 24 posts · 7 votes
4y
@Joe Norman@Lorraine Pennington found this post in searching for our own lock system. I see you both went opposite routes - any reviews? How are they going?
We have newer properties with Kwikset locks and also have a few older properties that have the very thin doors with the old-style bolt locks (https://www.homedepot.com/p/Pr...) I'm curious if there might be something that would work for both? Or perhaps we just need to buy/install new doors. Thanks!
Real Estate Broker · New Holland, PA · Member since 2016 · 51 posts · 38 votes
4y
I use landlord locks and would highly recommend them. I just switch them over as units turn. Any kind of master key system will make your life much easier 🙂
@Joe Norman@Lorraine Pennington found this post in searching for our own lock system. I see you both went opposite routes - any reviews? How are they going?
We have newer properties with Kwikset locks and also have a few older properties that have the very thin doors with the old-style bolt locks (https://www.homedepot.com/p/Pr...) I'm curious if there might be something that would work for both? Or perhaps we just need to buy/install new doors. Thanks!
I'm very happy with my Kwikset Key Control Deadbolts. The issue I was having is that the Landlord key actually uses a different blank than the Tenant key (even though they appear to be the same). You have to contact Kwikset and they will send you this special Landlord blanks.