Retirement plans for landlord with 1099 income

Retirement plans for landlord with 1099 income

Member since 2019 · 11 posts · 2 votes

I have been a w-2 employee until recently, investing in real estate on the side. I've left that work, and plan to self-manage apartment buildings I own, formalizing that as a 1099 employee of each LLC. All LLCs have partners.

What are my best options to contribute to retirement and maximize tax advantage, either near or long term. Age 42


Thanks!

1Reply
19 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · RVA · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    5y

    Check out the Solo 401k and talk with some of those experts to see if you're eligible.

  • Bjorn AhlbladPro Member
    Investor · Shelton, WA · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    5y

    My wife and I are both RE professionals, have reasonable income from our rentals and pay surprisingly little income tax.

  • Justin WindhamPro Member
    Banker · Nationwide · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    @Jennifer Knestrick

    I agree that the Solo 401k is likely the best retirement plan for you if you are eligible. It allows for investment into real estate and other alternative assets. It also has quite a few benefits over a similar retirement structure, the self-directed IRA.

    Compared to an IRA, Solo 401k contribution limits are about ten times higher. Since there is no custodial requirement for the 401k, you don't need the additional expense and administration of an LLC to obtain checkbook control. You can take participant loans from a Solo 401k, but the IRS does not allow this from an IRA. Built-in Roth components, spousal contributions, and an additional tax exemption also apply to the Solo 401k. Solo 401k plans are often quicker to set up and cost less money over time compared to most self-directed IRAs.

    I would recommend reaching out to a few plan providers to learn more about the structure and to see if you are eligible. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.