Mariposa Short Term Rentals

Mariposa Short Term Rentals

Member since 2021 · 3 posts · 2 votes

My partner and I have been actively looking for various properties around the country for short term investment. One of the areas we landed on was near Yosemite National Park. We are looking to invest in a 3 bed / 4 bath home that can host 6/8 people. Ideally, we will within an hour's drive from Yosemite and few other local attractions. Fire risks aside, does anyone have experience owning/managing a property in the area and want to share their insights.

0Reply
136 views

Most Popular Reply

Member since 2021 · 15 posts · 15 votes
4y

Hi Brian

When you average our slow season with busy season our occupancy has been about 32%. There is a lot of competition up here. We are in madera county and we just applied for a business license when we were ready to open. Even though our property was in pretty pristine condition I have to say there have been a lot of things arise and with the limited and spotty help to hire that has been a challenge. You definitely won't get a deal on any type of labor up here which has meant we do a lot of the work ourselves. Hiring for electrical work is almost always a month long wait, plumbing 2-3 weeks. Most contractors and licensed personnel are booked well in advance. So those have been my main challenges.  We also love the area so that was our big motivation.

See this reply in the discussion

36 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Yosemite, CA | SF Bay Area · Member since 2019 · 8 posts · 6 votes
    4y

    I recently acquired an arbitrage property in Mariposa and am going through the vacation rental permit process with the county. Not much experience here yet, but I've started the process! 

  • Member since 2022 · 1 post · 0 votes
    4y
     @Josh Johns:

    Jusy curious how long did it take you to aquire a permit with the county of Mariposa? Ive heard that it can take quite a few months. 


  • Yosemite, CA | SF Bay Area · Member since 2019 · 8 posts · 6 votes
    4y

    I’m just finalizing the permit now and I started in October, so yes it does take quite a while. I’m glad this has been during the slow season and that I have a 2 year lease 🙏

  • Rental Property Investor · Pleasanton, CA · Member since 2021 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    4y

    @Josh Johns I'm looking into buying a 3br property in/around Mariposa. Would love to hear details on how did the permitting process pan out for you. Just sent an invitation to connect. Thanks in advance!

  • Judy WensloffBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Oakhurst, CA · Member since 2022 · 17 posts · 13 votes
    4y

    Hello all, I'm a Realtor in Oakhurst with a lot of experience with buying/selling and permitting process in and around Yosemite. Yosemite is in Mariposa County and they are becoming quite strict. Oakhurst at the south entrance to the park is in Madera County with a much easier process. Where you purchase of course depends on your goals, and desire for your own use.  There is a lot to know and discuss, especially if you are looking at Mariposa County, so please feel free to reach out!!

    The Yosemite Real Estate Team - eXp Luxury
  • Member since 2022 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    4y

    I'm looking into STR permitting in Mariposa, but having trouble locating the full list of regulations, requirements, any zoning, etc. Combing through the site for a centralized location listing these details in full with application process. Any guidance appreciated, thanks!

  • Judy WensloffBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Oakhurst, CA · Member since 2022 · 17 posts · 13 votes
    4y
    The Yosemite Real Estate Team - eXp Luxury
  • Member since 2022 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    4y

    Thank you @Judy Wensloff!!

  • Member since 2021 · 15 posts · 15 votes
    4y

    Hi I have been operating in Oakhurst since December 2021, happy to share any insights.

    -Jennifer

  • New to Real Estate · Fresno, CA · Member since 2020 · 13 posts · 7 votes
    4y

    Hi @Jennifer Cooper

    How is your STR doing in Oakhurst? I love the area and wanted to get more information.

    What would you say is your occupancy rate? I'm assuming winter is the low season? 

    Also, was there any permitting process for the STR?

  • Member since 2021 · 15 posts · 15 votes
    4y

    Hi Brian

    When you average our slow season with busy season our occupancy has been about 32%. There is a lot of competition up here. We are in madera county and we just applied for a business license when we were ready to open. Even though our property was in pretty pristine condition I have to say there have been a lot of things arise and with the limited and spotty help to hire that has been a challenge. You definitely won't get a deal on any type of labor up here which has meant we do a lot of the work ourselves. Hiring for electrical work is almost always a month long wait, plumbing 2-3 weeks. Most contractors and licensed personnel are booked well in advance. So those have been my main challenges.  We also love the area so that was our big motivation.

  • Member since 2021 · 15 posts · 15 votes
    4y

    I have been managing our first STR since December 2021. My insights are as follows: set expectations in your listing clearly, its the mountains, there will be leaves and dust. We live in southern california, we have spent a lot time close to our rental as we are almost ready to list our second property.

    This summer our well booster pump went out, then our pressure tank, and now the capacitator on our AC, which means we will probably be replacing the unit because a capacitator will be more than half the price of a new unit.

    Guests run the AC, gas, all the utilities with abandon because they feel they are paying for it. Overall, I generally love hosting and have been a long term landlord since 2010 so Im very used to things breaking and having to immediately fix them.

  • Member since 2018 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Jennifer Cooper:

    I have been managing our first STR since December 2021. My insights are as follows: set expectations in your listing clearly, its the mountains, there will be leaves and dust. We live in southern california, we have spent a lot time close to our rental as we are almost ready to list our second property.

    This summer our well booster pump went out, then our pressure tank, and now the capacitator on our AC, which means we will probably be replacing the unit because a capacitator will be more than half the price of a new unit.

    Guests run the AC, gas, all the utilities with abandon because they feel they are paying for it. Overall, I generally love hosting and have been a long term landlord since 2010 so Im very used to things breaking and having to immediately fix them.


    Yes! I'm a Property Manger in Mariposa, Oakhurst and surrounding areas as well as an Investor Realtor. We're upgrading all our homes to remote control for thermostats and lights. It helps a lot with the utility bills. I recommend all STR owners to go this route. Has saved us a lot of headaches.

  • Howell, NJ · Member since 2020 · 1 post · 0 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Josh Johns:

    I’m just finalizing the permit now and I started in October, so yes it does take quite a while. I’m glad this has been during the slow season and that I have a 2 year lease 🙏


    Hey Josh, curious to know how things have been going for you
  • Member since 2021 · 38 posts · 2 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Judy Wensloff:

    Hello all, I'm a Realtor in Oakhurst with a lot of experience with buying/selling and permitting process in and around Yosemite. Yosemite is in Mariposa County and they are becoming quite strict. Oakhurst at the south entrance to the park is in Madera County with a much easier process. Where you purchase of course depends on your goals, and desire for your own use.  There is a lot to know and discuss, especially if you are looking at Mariposa County, so please feel free to reach out!!


     Hey Judy. I am interested in the area I would love to connect with you.

  • Rental Property Investor · Irvine, CA · Member since 2017 · 25 posts · 4 votes
    3y

    How is this market this year for buying a vacation home and also use it as STR?

    Have not found anything interesting to jump in to action

  • Judy WensloffBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Oakhurst, CA · Member since 2022 · 17 posts · 13 votes
    3y

    Hey Raj,  sorry I didn't see your request above until now! There are actually a couple of properties that have some good potential. They both need money put in to upgrade the land to realize the potential however... give me a call anytime to discuss!  

    The Yosemite Real Estate Team - eXp Luxury
  • Member since 2021 · 22 posts · 0 votes
    2y
    Hi Judy, We are also thinking of buying a cabin in Oakhurst, Fish Camp, Wawona area for STVR.
    Would you know the number of bedrooms that will be more in demand?
    Property in Oakhust would this still be ok for STVR?
    We are planning to go to Yosemite end of the month and hopefully we can see some properties.  

    Thank you
  • Judy WensloffBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Oakhurst, CA · Member since 2022 · 17 posts · 13 votes
    2y

    Hello Aileen,  That will be a beautiful time in Yosemite!  From what we've seen in our property management company, the smaller high end homes (1-2 bedrooms), and the larger (5+ bedrooms) are still doing really well, with 2023 numbers actually exceeding 2022 numbers.  There happen to be a couple of homes with some good potential on the market right now.  I would love to discuss your goals, and show you around if you are ready...  Give me a call 559-797-6797.

    The Yosemite Real Estate Team - eXp Luxury
  • Member since 2021 · 22 posts · 0 votes
    2y
    Good Morning Judy,  Thank you I will give you a call and will reach out before our trip as to which houses we would like to view.  Appreciate your quick reply
  • Judy WensloffBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Oakhurst, CA · Member since 2022 · 17 posts · 13 votes
    2y

    Looking forward to it Aileen!

    The Yosemite Real Estate Team - eXp Luxury
  • Member since 2021 · 38 posts · 2 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Aileen McGann:
    Hi Judy, We are also thinking of buying a cabin in Oakhurst, Fish Camp, Wawona area for STVR.
    Would you know the number of bedrooms that will be more in demand?
    Property in Oakhust would this still be ok for STVR?
    We are planning to go to Yosemite end of the month and hopefully we can see some properties.  

    Thank you

     Hey Aileen! I have to agree with Judy with the 5+ bedrooms! She knows what she is doing! You can contact me for management of Short term rentals or any questions for startup!

  • Rental Property Investor · Irvine, CA · Member since 2017 · 25 posts · 4 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Judy Wensloff:

    Hey Raj,  sorry I didn't see your request above until now! There are actually a couple of properties that have some good potential. They both need money put in to upgrade the land to realize the potential however... give me a call anytime to discuss!  


     Thank you, Judy. Missed this response. Will connect offline.

  • Member since 2021 · 22 posts · 0 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Shehryar Iqbal:
    Quote from @Aileen McGann:
    Hi Judy, We are also thinking of buying a cabin in Oakhurst, Fish Camp, Wawona area for STVR.
    Would you know the number of bedrooms that will be more in demand?
    Property in Oakhust would this still be ok for STVR?
    We are planning to go to Yosemite end of the month and hopefully we can see some properties.  

    Thank you

     Hey Aileen! I have to agree with Judy with the 5+ bedrooms! She knows what she is doing! You can contact me for management of Short term rentals or any questions for startup!

    Thank you Shehryar, Yes I will reach out to you as well.  Where is your office and what area do you specialize in terms of property management.  Thank you

  • Member since 2021 · 38 posts · 2 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Aileen McGann:
    Quote from @Shehryar Iqbal:
    Quote from @Aileen McGann:
    Hi Judy, We are also thinking of buying a cabin in Oakhurst, Fish Camp, Wawona area for STVR.
    Would you know the number of bedrooms that will be more in demand?
    Property in Oakhust would this still be ok for STVR?
    We are planning to go to Yosemite end of the month and hopefully we can see some properties.  

    Thank you

     Hey Aileen! I have to agree with Judy with the 5+ bedrooms! She knows what she is doing! You can contact me for management of Short term rentals or any questions for startup at 559-395-3099!


    Thank you Shehryar, Yes I will reach out to you as well.  Where is your office and what area do you specialize in terms of property management.  Thank you

     Hello, I am remotely based but not far from Oakhurst area. Give me a call and let’s discuss some more when possible.
    I’m not sure if you called me, was it a 925 number?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.