ROOFING?? Guestimate before I venture out into the roofing world

ROOFING?? Guestimate before I venture out into the roofing world

Member since 2020 · 13 posts · 5 votes

Hi to all, will try to make this simple...I need a roof or 2 before the '2021 year ends. On the lot, there is a 2 story single-family 2100sf for roof area( very, very rough estimate)  and a 1story duplex (it's shaped like an L ) 2900sf for roof area, very, very rough estimate.

Both roofs are tear-off condition. There is serious fascia and soffit replacement issues throughout on both, with water damage and a couple of leaks last year. I have to, have to, do the Single-family this year, might try to do both but it would be a challenge. The property is in the Los Angeles area.

I will try to ask the right questions for any input, and any advice or suggestions are welcome...

1st how many squares am I looking at per building with the included extra squares...2nd what price per roof am I possibly looking at....3rd  what price per roof for all expected material....4th what possible price per roof for labor....I am leaning toward GAF timberline reflective plus.....

Once again any input is welcomed and I thank you just for reading this... 

1Reply
20 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Madison, AL · Member since 2019 · 487 posts · 658 votes
4y

@Rita Davis

This question is near impossible to estimate without seeing the property and understanding the material costs in your area. For example, we just replaced a roof with some wood repair on an SFH of 1000 SF in AL, and the total cost was $6,500. We chose a metal roof, which costs less, and used the same general contractor to do 90% of the other REHAB, which cut labor costs. 

My recommendation is to find several roofing companies and have them walk the property and provide an estimate. Most companies I have worked with will do this for free, and you can get a good idea of the repair costs and have open competition for the job. 

Sincerely, 

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Madison, AL · Member since 2019 · 487 posts · 658 votes
    4y

    @Rita Davis

    This question is near impossible to estimate without seeing the property and understanding the material costs in your area. For example, we just replaced a roof with some wood repair on an SFH of 1000 SF in AL, and the total cost was $6,500. We chose a metal roof, which costs less, and used the same general contractor to do 90% of the other REHAB, which cut labor costs. 

    My recommendation is to find several roofing companies and have them walk the property and provide an estimate. Most companies I have worked with will do this for free, and you can get a good idea of the repair costs and have open competition for the job. 

    Sincerely, 

  • Bjorn AhlbladPro Member
    Investor · Shelton, WA · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    4y

    @Rita Davis as mentioned above get 3 real quotes and check out the feed back for each. You can do that on google and yelp. I make sure the roofer is licensed and insured=don't just ask. From the sounds of your post you may need new gutters as well.

  • Investor · Scottsdale Austin Tuktoyaktuk · Member since 2021 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Rita Davis:

    Hi to all, will try to make this simple...I need a roof or 2 before the '2021 year ends. On the lot, there is a 2 story single-family 2100sf for roof area( very, very rough estimate)  and a 1story duplex (it's shaped like an L ) 2900sf for roof area, very, very rough estimate.

    Both roofs are tear-off condition. There is serious fascia and soffit replacement issues throughout on both, with water damage and a couple of leaks last year. I have to, have to, do the Single-family this year, might try to do both but it would be a challenge. The property is in the Los Angeles area.

    I will try to ask the right questions for any input, and any advice or suggestions are welcome...

    1st how many squares am I looking at per building with the included extra squares...2nd what price per roof am I possibly looking at....3rd  what price per roof for all expected material....4th what possible price per roof for labor....I am leaning toward GAF timberline reflective plus.....

    Once again any input is welcomed and I thank you just for reading this... 

    That's a little like asking "How long is a rope?"

    Roofing estimates take into consideration "What material do you want, Do you want 20 year or 30 year material, how many peaks & valleys, drip edges and flashing, what pitch is the roof, how many vents do you need, do any sections under the roofing need to be replaced, do you want to add insulation to the attic while it is open and convenient, and several other questions". Some roofers will add other items and some will omit depending on your budget and their level of "finish". 

    You really have to detail it out or you may wind up with a much bigger bill than you thought. The one unknown that always pops up is the number of sheets of plywood underlayment that the roofer will need to replace. That won't be known until the shingles are off. If you are comfortable walking on the roof, it's okay to have the roofer show them to you before they tear them off.  As stated above, you may also need gutters and downspouts.

    Once they have finished the roof have someone walk the roof and look for shiners. Redoing a roof doesn't do you any good if the rain can penetrate the new roofing.

    Yes, I've had many roofs put on my flips and quality of roofers varies tremendously. 

  • Augusta, GA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    I agree with all the above suggestions.  Three estimates and then throw in a couple more dollars for the sheets of plywood it sounds like your roof with the leaks will need.  Well, more than a couple more dollars.  Price can double suddenly if the entire roof needs to be torn off and replaced with plywood (this is unusual for an entire roof).

    If your roofers are like mine also plan on waiting two months (or longer) for an actual start date to do the roofing projects.

  • Member since 2020 · 13 posts · 5 votes
    4y

    Thanks, everyone for your input...I will start by going to some roofing supply stores and getting some referrals from the employees. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.