Crafty tenants that i NEED to evict in NJ

Crafty tenants that i NEED to evict in NJ

Member since 2021 · 61 posts · 11 votes

Hello expert advisors, I have a 3 family home in Union City NJ and have a very crafty tenants. They moved in in November 2020 and since then have never been able to pay rent. However, they have received multiple forms of rental assistance from the city/state/feds. Currently they are receiving rental assistance from the CARES Act. I receive the rent 4 months late but nonetheless, it comes in in chunks. I am less concerned about the rent but more about how crafty and authoritative this young couple is, I am trying to evict them but because of how friendly NJ is, I'm unable to do so, here are the following areas they are in breach of the yearly lease:

1. I had given them a payment plan to pay security deposit in three parts on move in, they paid the part that was required before move in but not the remaining two

2. They smoke in the house, however - I have no "proof" to prove that they do in the court of law except that I smell it and see a cloud of smoke arising from their unit every time I enter

3. They stated there would be 4 persons living in the unit and we have 4 names on the lease, however - how they've added two more adults - an ailing father and a child from maybe another parent they have custody over

4. The man is authoritative, rude and always talks with attitude when I want to discuss anything with him, nothing ever reaches commonground due to his tone and approach

5. I had given them a Notice to Quit back in august because we decided to go move in into that unit, but they called and let me know they "wouldn't move out so easily" and asked to take them to court

I am in such a difficult mindspace and need assistance here. Anyone, anything? I really need them out.

Thanks in advance!

1Reply
27 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Rochester Hills, MI · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y

    Not sure I have great ideas for you other than to hire an experienced landlord/tenant lawyer.  Not a lawyer, but one that specializes in this type of law to help you navigate the shifting landscape that is eviction law these days for everyone.  

    Also, to everyone that might read this, take note of point number 1.  This is a major red flag and one everyone should learn from.  We have never (or rarely) work out when an SD isn't provided upfront.  It is something we no longer (and haven't for years) worked with a tenant on.  If you don't have the move in funds including SD, move on.  100% of the time that was the tip of the iceberg and those tenants are pretty crafty like Anjli is working through now.  

  • Investor · New York City, NY · Member since 2014 · 23 posts · 13 votes
    4y

    I feel for you so much, we had a similar tenant the we have inherrited with the house!!! I can PM you my lawyer (he is reasonable and honest, will not be promissing you things that he can not deliver), but there is not very much you can do. If you are allowed please go forward with moving into that unit, this is probbably the only way you have to evict them. 

  • Member since 2021 · 61 posts · 11 votes
    4y

    @Olga Shkolnikova yes please send me the attorney. What did you do with the inherited tenant?

  • Real Estate Agent · Mineral Wells, TX · Member since 2011 · 58 posts · 5 votes
    4y

    Hello from the great state of Texas. I have been in your shoes and it’s a hard uphill road. I ALWAYS call the police or sheriffs department and ask for an officer to enter the unit with me. All of a sudden the rude and volatile volatile person is very meek. When can do this in Texas and I hope you can in your state.

    We send an email, text and letter to the tenant giving them a date we will post this information on the front door for a 3 day quit. We set a time to arrive with the officer and have paperwork to serve the tenant; (everything you go over in front of the officer) Here in Texas they can do nothing other than observe but they do have to write a report for their department which is a great tool when you sue the tenant for damages or eviction.

    Good Luck keep records of every text, email at this point do not speak in person with the tenant unless you have protection and witness. 

  • Investor · Texas & Oklahoma · Member since 2020 · 67 posts · 38 votes
    4y

    @Anjali L.

    In one of the towns I invest in, the property manager I use charges a $100 fee to go through the eviction process on your behalf. Now, this service is included if you already use her as your property manager. She calls this her "use me and lose me" service for people who self-manage but don't want to hassle with an eviction.

    Not sure if there are any property managers who do similar work in your area. But, you also just might consider using a property manager for this property anyway. You'll probably get better tenants, might be able to charge higher rents, and will have WAY less stress. 

    Good luck! And I hope you let us know how it goes as things progress.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.