I have a month to month lease on a tri-plex that I own and occupy one of the units. I recently purchased and moved in and there were two sets of tenants that I inherited when I bought the property. I have not received rent and I also want to get into the other two units to clean them up and do some repairs prior to renting again. I have delivered my non-renewal to one of the tenants but I have not seen any progress of her getting ready to vacate the property. What should I be looking to do in this situation? Her last day is November 5th. I know she has the letter so she has the information but I have a feeling she is going to try and ignore it? Do I do a follow up with her and ask how the move out is going etc.? Anything you have tried that has worked would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Investor · Shelton, WA · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 6k+ votes
4y
Depending on what state or city you are in it could be difficult or impossible.........and if they are not paying rent why would they leave? Your best bet would likely be cash for keys. Don't give them any money until y'all are standing on the sidewalk, the unit is empty, tenant hands you the keys and signs a 'good bye' document. You should also consult an attorney, again depending on where you are. Good luck!
Property Manager · Denver, CO · Member since 2021 · 667 posts · 587 votes
4y
@Ryan Knutson Unfortunately, all signs you are describing point to a tenant that in all likelihood will not be out by the deadline. When we send a notice of non-renewal, it is written by our attorneys so it contains very strong language about what happens if they aren't out by the deadline. You can try reaching out to her and remind her that if she's not out by your date, the eviction process will begin in earnest so she knows you are serious. And if she's not out, start the eviction process immediately. Don't give her more time to play games with you.
@Ryan Knutson Unfortunately, all signs you are describing point to a tenant that in all likelihood will not be out by the deadline. When we send a notice of non-renewal, it is written by our attorneys so it contains very strong language about what happens if they aren't out by the deadline. You can try reaching out to her and remind her that if she's not out by your date, the eviction process will begin in earnest so she knows you are serious. And if she's not out, start the eviction process immediately. Don't give her more time to play games with you.
Thank you for that response. That is helpful and I have a feeling with the current situation that you are right. I need to let her know that things are serious and she will be moving out. It was even noted by the insurance agent when they came out to do an onsite inspection that the tenant needs to leave as they have their things everywhere. Not ideal, but will get through it.