Seeking a Mentor to guide start-up BRRRR for small multifamily

Seeking a Mentor to guide start-up BRRRR for small multifamily

Member since 2020 · 23 posts · 3 votes

Hello BP Members,

We are most concerned with the Portland laws favoring tenant rights rather than the landlord?

Professional experience is necessary before we move forward.

Would you encourage WA instead?  

Cheers,

Jeffrey Baxter

Onegoodcarpenter.com

Not sure if my posts are able to be viewed as I am not a Pro Member yet?

0Reply
16 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2020 · 64 posts · 17 votes
    4y

    @Jeffrey Baxter. Your posts can be seen and I'm not a pro member either. I am not an expert, in fact I just have a house hack rental. But from the groups that I've joined everyone says that Portland is too difficult to manage a rental. I don't know that Washington is much better. We are looking to buy in southern Oregon. Mostly because we are priced out of buying anything from Eugene on up to Portland

  • Contractor · Portland OR · Member since 2021 · 39 posts · 24 votes
    4y

    @Sharon Beatty I am very curious to how you see the Southern Oregon market.  I lived down there for a few years, even just visited down there last weekend.  I am interested in how others view that market because I see some potential upside in some areas of real estate. 

    My thoughts are as follows:

    Klamath Falls - yuck, lived there for years, no way

    Grants Pass - Lived there from 1998-2004 - great small town, not much industry, in right neighborhoods could do rentals, going to get low class tenants if going multifamily, average working incomes are low in this area. Rogue River is nice tourist attraction.

    Roseburg, similar to Grants Pass with less short term rental upside.  

    Medford, White City, Central Point - Enough industry and space to grow?  Probably where I would go with long term rentals or multifamily.

    Jacksonville - Scenic and cute, short term rental option only to me.  (Britt Theater)

    Ashland - WINNER to me, but like Jacksonville I think I would do short term rentals there, take advantage of Shakespeare festival (Fall/Winter), Britt Theater (Spring/Summer - Jacksonville), and Mountain Skiing in the Winter.

  • Real Estate Broker · Medford, OR · Member since 2020 · 1 post · 0 votes
    4y

    Hey all, thought I'd drop my thoughts in here. I do almost exclusively multifamily in Southern Oregon. I'm hearing more and more that investors are 1. Being priced out of PDX and/or 2. Don't want to deal with various issues up North. I'm personally working with multiple investors that are completely pulling out of Portland for the foreseeable future and heading South to Bend or Medford-area. @Roarke Van Brunt great points on the areas out here. I really like Central Point for owning existing multifamily and own units there myself. Medford has pockets of good areas, but the whole area has decent long-term potential. There's private investors out here that personally own 2,000+ units in Jackson Co alone - obviously they see some upside here. Ashland has always outperformed all the other markets down here; if you can grab something at a decent price in Ashland, it's almost a no-brainer. I'd look at any riverfront properties for short-term rentals - Gold Hill, Rogue River, etc. Happy to chat more, hope this helps! 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.