SFH - charge extra for snow/mowing or put on tenants? What paint?

SFH - charge extra for snow/mowing or put on tenants? What paint?

Member since 2021 · 8 posts · 1 vote

We are entering the game with our first rental (family member was supposed to move in but passed away, so we already are in possession of this property). It's a very small 850 sq ft, no basement SFH on a street of nearly identical houses in a decent neighborhood. Because it's so small, I feel like we're already disadvantaged when asking for good rent (rentometer implies $1200 would be on track, more would be a stretch). I'm wondering if we'd be shooting ourselves in the foot by trying to charge even more to include mowing and snow removal (we're in the great lakes area)? The 1400 sq ft single family home next to our primary has been a rental for the last 8 years or so and part of a large portfolio with a professional management company and their tactic is to professionally landscape once yearly and put grass and snow removal on the tenants, so I know it's done both ways locally. The tenants are not so great about keeping on top of the mowing.

Bonus question: What color paint (preferable behr) do you find your tenants like in the NE/Mid west?

Thank you from a newbie! 

0Reply
21 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Rochester Hills, MI · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y

    In MI and frankly, from what I have read on BP it is commonplace for landlords to make tenants responsible for yard/snow.  More than likely this is commonplace in your neck of the woods too.  You can call a few landlord ads and ask them to check for yourself.

    While you are at it, look at the photos of the local rentals and chances are you will find the same color being used in the vast majority of them.

    Two birds, one stone.  

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    4y

    For SFH, the tenants should be in charge of mowing the lawn and shoveling snow. If they fail to do it, then put a clause in the lease of what fines will be charged.

    Unless you are the one doing the shoveling and mowing, you aren't going to make any money off of doing that and it will take more of your time.  Also including it in the rent will up your price and honestly most tenants only look at the rent price, they don't look at what it includes. So usually utilities are not included.  If any are tied to the home (eg water), have the bill come to you and then the tenant pays you.

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    What I like most about single family homes is how passive they are.  I stop by once in the spring to trim bushes and mulch if necessary but that is it.  It is up to the tenants to mow and handle snow and I do not negotiate on this.  Many neighbors have lawn care companies come around and if they don't want to do it themself I suggest some names I see.  For paint I have been using behr ultra tinted with sherwon Williams accessible beige.  It is a grayish beige and people like it.  I just started using it so I don’t know about longevity but I’m using flat ultra scuff resistant and we’ll see how it holds up.  

  • Investor · Bayside, NY · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    @Caitlin B.

    I agree with you, most renters are not that good with mowing. I owned a SFR rental for nearly 40 years. With professionals busy with their careers, or young ones busy with their social lives, mowing is on the bottom of their priorities. For the first 15 years, I had tenant do lawns. That changed after I had a tenant, after the tragic death of his live in girlfriend, suffered a bout of depression so severe that when I visited him, not only was the lawn not mowed for over six months, but looks like he didn't have a haircut, shave, or bath for that long. He was so weak he can hardly walk. What should I say to the guy "hey, what's going on with the lawn"?

    The property is in an "A" neighborhood. The town also had few rentals available, and all the neighbors are homeowners utilizing landscapers to care for the lawns, all neatly mowed, edged, besides having spring cleaning, mulched, etc. Neighbors complained to the town and they threatened penalties and fines if I didn't take care of the eyesore.

    These days, the SFH should rent for $3,000/month, though I charged less. Landscapers charge me $125/month for 4 mows/month. My rent includes mowing. Based on this, if I charge $100 more a month or $100 or $100 less, it doesn't matter to most people if I cover mowing. What mattered to me is all the neighbors are happy, the town is happy, mowing is done, and I don't have to hassle with the tenants, the neighbors or the town.

    All in all, as I don't use a PM, the rental is 40 minutes away, during vacancies, I can get the landscaper to shovel snow during the winter, pick up junk mail in between. Recently, the tenant had a rat problem, need the landscaper to clear the foundation of the building so the pest control people can see where rats enter. Years ago, I was going to hire a PM, and he asks me "do you have a plumber you use regularly and a good landscaper"? I answered "yes" to both and he told me, "in that case, you don't need me, you don't have to pay me $250/month to check if tenants did the lawns or call the plumber". 

    Bottom line, I'm $100/month ahead. How about that. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.