Sequence of Installing Vinyl Plank Floors w/Plumbing and Cabinets

Sequence of Installing Vinyl Plank Floors w/Plumbing and Cabinets

Member since 2021 · 20 posts · 1 vote

I'm redoing a rental.

We've replaced the subfloor and are going to put vinyl plank flooring. 

What sequence should it be installed in the below? 

I need to put down the toilet, bathroom vanity and kitchen base cabinets. 

Should it be installed before the vanity, before the toilet? 

0Reply
20 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Sumter, SC · Member since 2015 · 334 posts · 531 votes
    4y

    @Rema W. I've always installed flooring before I set the toilet and after I place cabinets/vanities. 

  • Investor · Marbury, MD · Member since 2017 · 52 posts · 57 votes
    4y

    Put cabinets and toilets down first then install the planking. Nothing gets installed on top of the planking cause they need to expand and retract with temperature changes, plus you need at least 1/4" space between the flooring  plank and baseboards or walls to allow for movement

  • Dana WhickerPro Member
    Investor · Fernandina Beach, FL · Member since 2014 · 557 posts · 374 votes
    4y

    Solid vinyl plank flooring does not expand and contract. Not enough to be of any concern whatsoever. The old wood laminate flooring rules do not apply to vinyl.

    With that said I install vinyl plank after the vanity and cabinets, and before the toilet.

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y

    High-end remodelers always lay the floor before cabinets. Height issues. Movement has never been a concern....

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.