Cash Flow Number That is Your Sweet Spot

Cash Flow Number That is Your Sweet Spot

Rob ShahPro Member
Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 57 posts · 18 votes

Hey RE Investors, quick question, how much cash flow do you typically look for per month for a rental investment?  $300 p/month, $600 p/month or more?  For a typical townhouse where rents are $1400 per month not multi family.  

Thanks,

0Reply
23 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · 3412 S. Harlem Avenue Riverside, IL 60546 · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    4y

    @Rob Shah I like to focus on the cash on cash return as opposed to a dollar per door metric. I also like to look at return on equity, and I do my best to gauge how much my total return every year is including appreciation. 

  • Corby GoadeBusiness Member
    Investor · Boise, ID · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    4y

    I operate in a mostly B and better market with no rental regulations whatsoever. Reliable and aggressive appreciation, so I want my properties to at least break even the first year, then I start working on annual rent increases between 5-10% to create better cashflow. All the while my equity grows so I can start leveraging that in to more properties without having to save up another down payment. My market had approx 40% appreciation YoY in August, so you can move quickly with little capital. 

  • Rob ShahPro Member
    OP
    Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 57 posts · 18 votes
    4y

    Thank you @John Warren and @Corby Goade!  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.