Northern VA Open Networking

Northern VA Open Networking

When:

Where:Ono Brewing Company, 4520 Daly Dr #102 Chantilly, Virginia 20151

Cost:Free

Disclaimer: BiggerPockets does not support or sponsor any meetups unless otherwise noted. Do your due diligence before attending any events. You may be agreeing to attend an event that includes promotion, pitching, or high-pressure sales tactics or techniques. Poster certifies that there will be no pitching of products or services at this event.

Jin LimPro Member
Investor · Washington DC · Member since 2016 · 131 posts · 77 votes

Hello, everyone!

We had a good turnout last month at my NoVA Open Networking event! This event is for all investors, new and experienced, to come hang out and talk real estate.

I've noticed a there weren't as many meet ups happening in NoVA, so I've taken upon myself to try and host a meet up for other investors in the Northern Virginia area. The face-to-face meetings helps me stay focused on my own real estate investing goals and I hope this will become a regular thing!

The open networking style seemed to work so there will be no agenda again. Just come out, network, and have fun!

Last month we had two total strangers from Texas meet and both of them were looking to invest there. Last I heard, they're exchanging contact info for their team out in Austin. That's the power in these types of meet ups!

A number of folks that came out last month also wanted to learn more about how I manage to invest out of state using the BRRRR Strategy. Now I'm hosting a virtual event for them this weekend to talk about it!

Looking forward to creating more value for you everyone through these meet ups. I hope to see you there!

I'll also remember to bring name tags this time. hah

9Reply
115 views

Most Popular Reply

Leesburg, VA · Member since 2019 · 34 posts · 19 votes
4y

@Jin Lim

I don't need to 1031 the property as it was originally owner occupied before we turned it in to a rental and we have lived there 2 of the last 5 years so we can sell and clear all the proceeds without capital gains tax. That's the main reason we are selling now because if we held it another year then we wouldn't be able to sell without paying the taxes. We bought a SFH in Cleveland, Ohio and it's been a great property for the 11 months that we've owned it which is why we decided to sell the Tysons property while we can do so without capital gains taxes with the intention of buying a few more OOS properties that cash flow as opposed to hoping for appreciation on the Tysons condo.

@Daniel Muscarella @Matt Raleigh my last post didn't tag you both but I'm in Leesburg and would be happy to meet you both some time to talk real estate and OOS investing. 

See this reply in the discussion

46 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · McLean · Member since 2020 · 23 posts · 13 votes
    4y

    Thanks for hosting meetup Jin. See you guys there !

  • Sue RicheyBusiness Member
    Residential Real Estate Broker · Reston, VA · Member since 2017 · 8 posts · 8 votes
    4y

    Hi Jin.  Couldn't get to the Nov event but would definitely be interested in future ones.  I'll keep an eye out for the next one!  And thanks for organizing- would be great to meet up with other investors.

  • Jin LimPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Washington DC · Member since 2016 · 131 posts · 77 votes
    4y

    @Sue Richey Looking forward to seeing you at the next one!

  • New to Real Estate · Northern Virginia · Member since 2021 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    4y

    Hey Jin, I live in Haymarket and just purchased a lot in Haymarket in a new development.  Would love to meet up with the group next time.  There are great breweries in the PWC area :)

  • New to Real Estate · Ashburn, VA · Member since 2022 · 9 posts · 4 votes
    4y

    Hey Jin,

    Any more of these scheduled? I'm new to the game, and committed myself to hold off on the trigger finger and spend 2022 building my team. I'm in Ashburn and I liked your mention of potential out of state investors. NoVa deals just don't cut it, in terms of the budget and ROI that I'm looking for. I'd love to meet someone locally who also has OOS ambitions!

    Do you know when your next meeting might be?

    Thanks,

    Matt

  • New to Real Estate · Ashburn, VA · Member since 2022 · 9 posts · 4 votes
    4y

    Oh I should add that we do have cash ready and are interested in certain cities where we have found much more favorable ROI! Just making myself hold off at this time so I can learn. Looking for another newbie to share info/thoughts, and support each other to go through with it.

  • Lender · Member since 2020 · 11 posts · 2 votes
    4y

    @Matt Raleigh I would love to chat sometime. I live in Chantilly, and I am kind of in the same boat as you. Brand new to REI, have cash and am ready to invest. I am looking into OOS markets as well.

  • Jin LimPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Washington DC · Member since 2016 · 131 posts · 77 votes
    4y

    @Matt Raleigh @Benjamin Sampson

    I haven’t held any meet ups since this last one, but I am looking to do one some time in Feb!

    Shoot me a connection and I’ll let you know when I do hold the next one!

  • Member since 2021 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    4y

    Hi All,

    In the same boat as @Matt Raleigh and @Benjamin Sampson! @Jin Lim can you include me on the next meeting as well. Thank you! 

  • Jin LimPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Washington DC · Member since 2016 · 131 posts · 77 votes
    4y

    @Matthew Ridgeway will do! Sent you a connection request. :)

  • Member since 2021 · 6 posts · 2 votes
    4y

    Hi! Missed the last meetup. Would love to join the next one! @Jin Lim

  • Member since 2022 · 1 post · 0 votes
    4y

    Hi Jin,

    i just joined the BP yesterday and would love to attend your next event. please keep me posted, i am in the DMV area.thanks 

  • Jin LimPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Washington DC · Member since 2016 · 131 posts · 77 votes
    4y

    @Janice Tu @Seynabou Dieng I'll keep you guys in the loop for the next one!

  • Sean McDowellPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Columbia SC / Norfolk, VA · Member since 2019 · 40 posts · 18 votes
    4y
    Sign me up for the next one in the NOVA area.  We primarily invest in Norfolk/Virginia Beach, but a good deal is a good deal in NOVA.  Thx!
  • New to Real Estate · Member since 2022 · 23 posts · 5 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Matt Raleigh:

    Oh I should add that we do have cash ready and are interested in certain cities where we have found much more favorable ROI! Just making myself hold off at this time so I can learn. Looking for another newbie to share info/thoughts, and support each other to go through with it.


     Hi Matt, I live in the Leesburg area and am interested in Real Estate.  We should definitely chat and see where it goes. 

  • Leesburg, VA · Member since 2019 · 34 posts · 19 votes
    4y

    Hi @Jin Lim I sent you a connection request and would love to attend the next meet up whenever you organize it. I’m located in Leesburg like @Daniel Muscarella but I just started investing OOS last year due to the capital requirements to cash flow in NoVA. I’m selling a rental property in Tyson’s right now and plan on buying more OOS properties with the proceeds. I’d love to talk to @Matt Raleigh and others who are interested in this strategy at a meet up or otherwise.

  • Jin LimPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Washington DC · Member since 2016 · 131 posts · 77 votes
    4y

    @Paul Ellington I'll keep you in the loop!

    I agree with your sentiment with the NoVA market which is why I invest OOS as well! Are you planning to 1031 your Tysons property? Which market are you investing in now? I'm investing in the KCMO/KCKS market!

  • Leesburg, VA · Member since 2019 · 34 posts · 19 votes
    4y

    @Jin Lim

    I don't need to 1031 the property as it was originally owner occupied before we turned it in to a rental and we have lived there 2 of the last 5 years so we can sell and clear all the proceeds without capital gains tax. That's the main reason we are selling now because if we held it another year then we wouldn't be able to sell without paying the taxes. We bought a SFH in Cleveland, Ohio and it's been a great property for the 11 months that we've owned it which is why we decided to sell the Tysons property while we can do so without capital gains taxes with the intention of buying a few more OOS properties that cash flow as opposed to hoping for appreciation on the Tysons condo.

    @Daniel Muscarella @Matt Raleigh my last post didn't tag you both but I'm in Leesburg and would be happy to meet you both some time to talk real estate and OOS investing. 

  • Jin LimPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Washington DC · Member since 2016 · 131 posts · 77 votes
    4y

    @Paul Ellington That's dope! I assume you're going to stick to the Cleveland market?

  • Leesburg, VA · Member since 2019 · 34 posts · 19 votes
    4y

    @Jin Lim That's the plan for now! I'm getting the condo fixed up right now in preparation for listing it and once we have money in the bank it will be time to start putting offers in which is always the exciting part! Are you actively pursuing more properties in KCMO/KCKS? 

  • Jin LimPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Washington DC · Member since 2016 · 131 posts · 77 votes
    4y

    @Paul Ellington Yessir! Closing tomorrow on another SFH BRRRR! :)

  • Rental Property Investor · VA · Member since 2020 · 218 posts · 133 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Jin Lim:

    @Paul Ellington Yessir! Closing tomorrow on another SFH BRRRR! :)

    OOS BRRRR? Thats is awesome. Would love to chat with you sometime. Or meet up?
  • Rental Property Investor · Jacksonville, NC · Member since 2011 · 55 posts · 18 votes
    4y

    If there are more scheduled events I would love to hear about them!

    I am agent/investor living in Old town, Alexandria.  If meeting space is an issue I would probably host a smaller meetup at my brokerage!

  • Jin LimPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Washington DC · Member since 2016 · 131 posts · 77 votes
    4y

    @Nick Shri It is! I invest mainly in KCMO. Sent you a connect request.

    @Janine Badic I will let you know! Out of curiosity, where is your brokerage located? Is it also in Alexandria? 

  • Rental Property Investor · Jacksonville, NC · Member since 2011 · 55 posts · 18 votes
    4y

    @Jin Lim Yes, very close to the King St Metro station.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.