Disclaimer: BiggerPockets does not support or sponsor any meetups unless otherwise noted. Do your due diligence before attending any events. You may be agreeing to attend an event that includes promotion, pitching, or high-pressure sales tactics or techniques. Poster certifies that there will be no pitching of products or services at this event.
Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
The first meetup of the new group, KickAss Real Estate Investors, will be on Tuesday, September 27th. Once we have an idea of how many we will have and the interest, I will book a place. I'm checking with a few different venues right now. Please go on to the Meetup website and sign up so that I have one place with all interested people. (PLEASE SIGN UP ON BOTH PLACES, that way I can make sure you're notified when I have the location, etc. in addition, it helps draw more people to the meetup when they see there's good participation)
Things in the market are changing. More listings are becoming available, and home prices have started to stabilize. What does all of this mean for investors? Will there be another crash? Will money be available? What is the best strategies and niches? Partnerships? Creative ideas? LET'S TALK!
It's been awhile since we had a meetup. Getting enough BP members consistently has been a challenge. I'm starting a new meetup, where we will open to others too. My daughter/broker, whom some of you have met, will be co organizing with me. By having more interested parties, it will be better for BP members opportunities. We will have guest speakers, on subjects from lending, the market, title/escrow, building officials, etc. Let me know what it is you're interested in learning about.
Please respond on this thread too, and comment.
Call or text me with any questions. (530) 782-1800 Karen Margrave
Some of the local areas that have properties investors may be interested in are:
Redding, Shasta County, Tehama County, Siskiyou County, Cottonwood, Anderson, Palo Cedro, Shasta Lake, Lake Shasta, Mt. Shasta, Shingletown, Burney, Lewiston, Trinity Lake, Trinity Center.
Types of properties currently in high demand: ADU, STR, Short Term Rental, Long Term Rental, Storage, MFD, SFR, MFR, fixer. What are you looking for?
Investor · Redding, CA · Member since 2019 · 48 posts · 14 votes
3y
@Karen Margrave. Im still definetely interested in attending a meetup. I have honestly been just watching the market in Redding at this point and managing my one mid-term rental. I am in the process of starting a handyman business as well. If you know of anyone that could use a reliable/skilled handyman I would definetely appreciate the referral.
Real Estate Agent · Seattle, WA · Member since 2019 · 243 posts · 246 votes
4y
Oh cool - is this a Redding specific meetup? I have a few properties there; it's getting trickier to invest w/ the latest discussion around regulations/ordinances.
Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
4y
@Eric Yu Yes, it's specific to Redding. If you have any questions, I am a licensed GC and a Realtor, with years experience in Redding, developing projects of all types. What types of regulations are you referring to, the STR?
Our market is very unique. We have a lot of driving factors that will continue to keep demand up. We had the fires, which put a lot of strain on housing, then Covid refugees relocating from larger cities, investors buying to rent STR, LTR, room space to students at BSSM, plus the normal growth.
@Eric Yu Yes, it's specific to Redding. If you have any questions, I am a licensed GC and a Realtor, with years experience in Redding, developing projects of all types. What types of regulations are you referring to, the STR?
Our market is very unique. We have a lot of driving factors that will continue to keep demand up. We had the fires, which put a lot of strain on housing, then Covid refugees relocating from larger cities, investors buying to rent STR, LTR, room space to students at BSSM, plus the normal growth.
It's been a big discussion in town for what to do with STRs. Join the Shasta County STR group on FB to stay involved there. It's a healthy market for sure, but will be interesting to see what ordinances/approach the city decides on for STR in the long term.
Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
4y
@Eric Yu I'm aware of what they're doing. A lot of it is politics, and ignorance. Unfortunately, people are over reacting and lumping all the shared housing situations in together and thinking they're all STR related. They're not. I have written to the City Council myself on this. I understand the problems posed by shared housing set ups, as it changes the make up of neighborhoods, and creates a lot more traffic, noise, etc. At the same time. many of the shared housing is for other types of residents, (seniors, sober living, BSSM students, and just people sharing homes due to the lack of housing in Redding) The city putting all the blame on STR owners, is short sighted. We do however; need to find solutions to housing in Redding.
What types of rentals do you have? How many? Do you live here in Redding?
Real Estate Agent · Seattle, WA · Member since 2019 · 243 posts · 246 votes
4y
@Karen Margrave 100% agreed. Thanks for writing into the city about this as well. Agreed - I think STRs just generally have a bad public image these days, when in reality, 99% of stays go without a hitch.
I have a mix of 2 STRs, 1 MTR, and 1 LTR currently.
If you can, sign up on the Meetup site too. Link is in post. I don't have the location set, waiting to see how many will be coming.
Things are beginning to open up a tiny bit on pricing. I've seen some great deals come on MLS that would be good for rehabbers, etc. Curious for those of you that own STR in the area how they're doing? I know in southern CA some areas are seeing STR investors bailing out and selling properties. Not sure why, maybe because some of those areas have a large number of Chinese investors?
Should that happen in our area, it could open up more opportunities for buyers, both for owner/users and LTR investors.
@Karen Margrave Are you going to try and do a meetup next month?
If there's enough people that want to come to a meetup, I'd love to have one. I try to get conversations going on these threads, but it's very rare anyone posts. I'd like to see what local investors are doing, are they looking for deals, have deals to sell, need information, etc.? Having started meetups in O.C. and in Bend, there was more participation from BP members, but in Redding, members don't share as easily. I have lenders, title companies, insurance agents, etc. that I can get to come talk, but I'll need to be sure we will have people there.
When I schedule the next meetup, I will have a guest speaker so everyone will know what the subject matter is. Right now on deals it seems the most critical things are Financing, Insurance and possibly someone from Cal Fire. Insurance these days is a huge factor, especially for STR buyers looking at properties up in the outlying areas. PLEASE WEIGH IN ON SUBJECTS YOU ARE INTERESTED IN! Also, what day is best for a meetup for you?
Investor · Redding, CA · Member since 2019 · 48 posts · 14 votes
3y
@Karen Margrave. Im still definetely interested in attending a meetup. I have honestly been just watching the market in Redding at this point and managing my one mid-term rental. I am in the process of starting a handyman business as well. If you know of anyone that could use a reliable/skilled handyman I would definetely appreciate the referral.
Investor · Redding, CA · Member since 2019 · 48 posts · 14 votes
3y
@Karen Margrave I am currently on Nextdoor and getting my business account set up and will begin advertising here shortly. What FB groups would you recommend posting on? Thanks.
there was talk of a Redding meetup. sorry I was so busy working this summer I had no time.however it is now winter and I have time if we wanted to do a meetup. thanks
there was talk of a Redding meetup. sorry I was so busy working this summer I had no time.however it is now winter and I have time if we wanted to do a meetup. thanks
sory if I'm way out of the loop. thanks
I didn't get a lot of interest in doing a Meetup. I think with prices being so high, and now with interest rates, there's a lot of people waiting and hoping the markets going to crash before investing. Our market here still has a lot of demand for rentals, and they bring top dollar, so numbers can still work! Set your keyword alerts to Redding Meetup, Redding, etc.
prices are a bit high. I'm hanging out for a bit because my first rehab rental didn't go as planned. not me the feds. even though I may be on the side lines for a bit it's still good time to educate ourselves. prices are coming down a bit. well thanks and we will talk soon
prices are a bit high. I'm hanging out for a bit because my first rehab rental didn't go as planned. not me the feds. even though I may be on the side lines for a bit it's still good time to educate ourselves. prices are coming down a bit. well thanks and we will talk soon
@Ryan Havens I think the larger meet ups were struggling a bit but. I'm always interested in meeting up and chatting with people looking to invest.
If anyone is interested in meeting up let me know, I'm always ready for a cup of coffee.
Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
3y
@Eric Yu I just wanted to check in and see how everyone's doing. The markets still tight, but people are still buying. Are you still looking for a STR?
The City has outlined what the new rules are going to be. Message me if you're interested.