San Jose Meetup - Friday 9/12/14

San Jose Meetup - Friday 9/12/14

When:

Where:Whispers Cafe and Creperie 1085 E Brokaw Rd Ste 10 San Jose, CA 95131

Cost:Free

Disclaimer: BiggerPockets does not support or sponsor any meetups unless otherwise noted. Do your due diligence before attending any events. You may be agreeing to attend an event that includes promotion, pitching, or high-pressure sales tactics or techniques. Poster certifies that there will be no pitching of products or services at this event.

Johnson H.Pro Member
Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2010 · 910 posts · 889 votes

Hi All,

Last few months we have had over 20+ BP members attend, chatting about investing in the San Jose area and also out of state. @Jay Y. suggested this meetup and I am helping him post it. We welcome anyone who would like to attend!

When: Friday, Sept 12, 2014, 7:00pm

Where: Whispers Cafe and Creperie (outside patio)

(The cafe is in the same complex as City Sports and in the same building as Five Guys on the opposite side of the building.)

1085 E Brokaw Rd
Ste 10
San Jose, CA 95131

Looking forward to meeting new investors and seeing familiar faces.

Regards,

Johnson

Keywords:

South Bay , South Bay Meetup , Bay Area , Meetup , Meet up , Meet-up , San Francisco , Oakland , Berkeley , Alameda County , Contra Costa County , Solano County , Richmond , Hercules , Concord , Albany , Pittsburgh , Marin San Rafael , South Bay , Peninsula , Walnut Creek , Pittsburgh , Antioch , Pleasanton , Fremont , Castro Valley, San Jose, Milpitas, Sunnyvale, Fremont, Palo Alto, Santa Clara, Mountain View, Gilroy, Santa Cruz

1Reply
267 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
12y

It was definitely another success meet-up for Johnson and Jay.  Thank you for organizing it.  It was nice meeting the new as well as familiar faces.  

@Sam M. , congrats to you and your hubby.  You guys got a steal on the deal.

@Marilynn Woodcock , good luck with your wholesaling endeavor.  Just reach out if you ever need any help from any of us.  Personally, I'll share what I know.

@Andrew Eaton , it was nice meeting and talking to you.  You look younger in person compared to your profile photo.  

@Troy Fisher , It was nice seeing you again in quite a while.  Let's grab some lunch and exchange ideas.  I'm available almost any day for lunch or coffee except weekends.

@Susan Gong , it's always nice to see you.  Let's analyze that deal again.  I still believe you can buy that piece of land for a much lower price.

@Kathryn M. , unfortunately, I have to agree with what J said even though you were only there briefly.

@Helen Chau , under promised and over delivered is my moto.  I'm more than happy to share with you my spreadsheet on how I analyze deals.  

@Yuliany W. , you looked fantastic.  I thought you were dressed to kill.  It was nice seeing you there.

@Kevin Auyong , I'd love to talk to you next time and learn about the process of doing due diligent for out of town investing.

@Kevin D. and @Ezra Nugroho , it was nice seeing you guys again.  Sorry I couldn't stick around long enough to see the numbers on your deal.  Can you email it to me Ezra?  I just want to get a better understanding of these deals.  Kevin, I'll let you know about the thing we talked about after I did my due diligence.  

@Paul Cheung, hope you got the introductory email.  Belinda said she will call you.  Hope things will work out.

@J. Martin, my nephew told me this and it stuck in my mind.  "when your bucket is full, you don't need to say much.  Let individuals with empty bucket make all the sounds."  I thought that was quite profound for a little kid.

See this reply in the discussion

99 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • J. MartinPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    @J. Martin,

    If it's after 12:30pm, I can pick you up.  Just let me know when to be there and which airline.  My guess with a high probability of being correct it's Southwest.  

     You tipped me over the edge Minh!

    Re-booked to SJC, arriving 9/12, scheduled 3:10PM on #568 from San Diego (SAN). On..... you guessed it! State of CA special!! SW. lol  In time to meet @Johnson H. @ 4 if I'm on time ;)  Thanks so much for the ride from the airport Minh!

    Now I just need to get a ride to a BART station at the end of the meetup, before the last BART train, so I can get back up to Oakland at the end of the night.. Who's going to be going back up towards Fremont?.. or South SF..? I'm sure there's someone in this group.. Let me rack my brain..

    And I get to see @Troy Fisher again after being MIA for so long!? Totally worth flying in for! lol How you been man? I think I closed 2 deals since the last time I saw you..

  • Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    J,

    If no one is driving you to the Fremont Bart Station afterward, I'll do it. I just have to be home before midnight. LOL!!!

  • J. MartinPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    Thanks for the ride back towards the City after the meetup @Johnson H. , and on the way there from the airport @Account Closed !

    You guys rock!

  • Johnson H.Pro Member
    OP
    Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2010 · 910 posts · 889 votes
    12y

    @J. Martin - I already offered to take you to Daly City bart if you want it. Just let me know buddy!

  • J. MartinPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Johnson H.:

    @J. Martin - I already offered to take you to Daly City bart if you want it. Just let me know buddy!

     I have a horrible memory! lol I was looking at everyone's picture trying to think of who lived up higher in the Bay, and forgot about the host with the most who already volunteered! Sometimes we fail to see the obvious solutions right in front of us. Thanks Johnson! You'll just have to rip me away before midnight so we can make it back in time! lol

  • Investor · Milpitas, CA · Member since 2014 · 116 posts · 103 votes
    12y

    As usual, I am probably going to be late, coming after my little kids settle down a bit.

    Here are good podcasts on note investing just for further education:

    1. http://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2013/05/09...
    2. http://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2013/07/25...

    And finally, I am going to bring marketing material from a turnkey out-of-state company. Probably not politically correct in this little group, ha! Disclosure: I am not related to this company, I don't invest with them, not even getting any free lunch from them. 

    @Account Closed , wrt your mortgage connection offer, I am now in contact with some Central Pennsylvania CU. I wasn't actually thinking of leveraging much right now, but I figured it doesn't hurt to begin some relationship with them. They seem to be willing to accomodate a California newbie like me. 

  • Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    @Ezra Nugroho ,

    Well, hopefully it will work out. It's only an extra $$250-300/month to service $50k debt so you should consider leverage it up a little bit. Take that money, pay down your primary residence if you have no use for it, and obtain a bigger interest only HELOC.

    Just like any business, a lot of time it's not what you know, but it's who you know. 

    Good luck. 

  • Investor · Milpitas, CA · Member since 2014 · 116 posts · 103 votes
    12y

    @Account Closed That's a great idea! I never even consider creating equity that way! I did think that your friend is strictly a mortgage originator. I didn't know that s/he would originate personal loans. I guess it's both what you know and who you know :)

  • James B.Pro Member
    Investor · Monterey Area, CA · Member since 2011 · 150 posts · 81 votes
    12y

    @J. Martin WOW, I admire your dedication to attend this meetup! It looks like you'll be utilizing planes, trains, and automobiles....

  • Investor · Monterey, CA · Member since 2014 · 30 posts · 17 votes
    12y

    @James B. Hello, James. Hope you will come to our meet-up. It's great networking. Unfortunately I may not be able to carpool with you on 9/12, unless you don't mind leaving Monterey at 8:30am. I have an appointment in Mountain View at 10am. But we can arrange that for future meet ups. Also, there is another meet up closer to home, in Michael's on Main St. Soquel. We just had one last Friday. :-) 

    @Johnson H.  @Account Closed 

    Glad you guys are planning to meet earlier. Works better for me. I will be there around 4:30pm.  

  • Investor · San Carlos, CA · Member since 2014 · 41 posts · 37 votes
    12y

    @Account Closed @J. Martin and others, I look forward to meeting you all.  

    After such an informative post thread earlier in the week, I am inspired and look forward to meet others working on similar projects.

  • Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    @Andrew Eaton ,

    Looking forward to meeting you too and picking your brain a little bit, or whatever is left of it. 

  • Investor · San Carlos, CA · Member since 2014 · 41 posts · 37 votes
    12y

    @Account Closed Not much left of my brain this week.  At the end of next week, I plan on being in better shape.  Why is it that a short week always destroys me?  Recently, I have wondered if it is worth it.

  • Johnson H.Pro Member
    OP
    Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2010 · 910 posts · 889 votes
    12y

    @Helen Chau  - See you there early!

    @Andrew Eaton- Sounds like you should just take the entire week off on short weeks!

  • J. MartinPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Andrew Eaton:

    @Account Closed @J. Martin and others, I look forward to meeting you all.  

    After such an informative post thread earlier in the week, I am inspired and look forward to meet others working on similar projects.

     Andrew,

    I wanted to know what others were doing with construction in the Bay, and introduce you to a few folks, so check out this posting. My tag of you did not work..

    http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/44/topics/145954-construction-rehab-in-the-bay-area---what-are-you-doing-seeing

    Interested to hear how your project develops..

  • J. MartinPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Johnson H.:

    @Helen Chau  - See you there early!

    @Andrew Eaton- Sounds like you should just take the entire week off on short weeks!

     Johnson, I take every almost every 4 day week off, especially if we're not working on Friday either. Took off last week, Thanksgiving, 2 weeks for Xmas, and most of the rest of Sept, Oct, and Nov lol

    We'll see how the "practice retirement" works out ;)

  • Johnson H.Pro Member
    OP
    Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2010 · 910 posts · 889 votes
    12y

    @J. Martin  - If I took last week off I still would be working, it has been hectic. I blocked off Saturday to work as well, I am looking forward to the end of this month!

    Thanks to everyone that has responded with attending. I am looking forward to another great turnout on Friday! See you all soon.

  • Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    Hi everyone,

    As you have noticed, the weather has changed in the last few days. It gets a little cold after the sun goes down so don't forget to bring a light jacket. Looking forward to seeing everyone. 

  • Real Estate Investor · Gilroy, CA · Member since 2014 · 8 posts · 4 votes
    12y

    Look forward to meeting you on Friday!  I'm new to real estate and eager to learn!

  • Investor · Milpitas, CA · Member since 2014 · 116 posts · 103 votes
    12y

    @Account Closed , good thinking about the light coat.

    @Marilynn Woodcock Welcome to BP and to the South Bay community. First post, straight to the meet up thread! That's wonderful, it means that you are doing your homework and willing to learn. Keep at it, and you'd be successful. There are many experienced people in here who are very nice and willing to share their experiences.

  • Johnson H.Pro Member
    OP
    Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2010 · 910 posts · 889 votes
    12y

    I just want to confirm with everyone that there is no change in location as mentioned in the first post. We will be at Whispers Cafe tomorrow. The official start time is 7pm but a few of us will be there as early as 4pm. Like Minh said, bring a light jacket as we take over the outside patio area!

  • Investor · Sunnyvale, CA · Member since 2014 · 24 posts · 16 votes
    12y

    I missed previous meet up, cannot wait to you all this time. Thanks @Account Closed for reminding me about this great event. :)

  • Real Estate Investor · Gilroy, CA · Member since 2014 · 8 posts · 4 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Ezra Nugroho:

    @Account Closed , good thinking about the light coat.

    @Marilynn Woodcock Welcome to BP and to the South Bay community. First post, straight to the meet up thread! That's wonderful, it means that you are doing your homework and willing to learn. Keep at it, and you'd be successful. There are many experienced people in here who are very nice and willing to share their experiences.

    Thank you for your thoughtful note!  I look forward to seeing you!

  • Investor · Bay Area, CA · Member since 2011 · 92 posts · 69 votes
    12y

    For some reason I didn't get notification for the tag, so I just found out today that there's meet up tonight. @J. Martin

  • Real Estate Professional · San Jose, CA · Member since 2009 · 45 posts · 39 votes
    12y

    Too bad I can't be there but my hubby will be.  

    @Johnson H -  cash is king but keeping it in a CD or bank ain't the way to go since inflation is eating away at least 3% year.  Find a vehicle that gives you up to 15% interest risk free for your cash while you're waiting for opportunities.  

    @Kevin D.  There is a vehicle that can make you average 7%-8% for the past 40 years no market risk but you need to know the right person to talk to.  No tenants or toilets involved.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.