Should I lease or sell my condo in Arcadia, CA?

Should I lease or sell my condo in Arcadia, CA?

Member since 2018 · 4 posts · 0 votes

Hello Everyone, 

Would like to seek some recommendation about my situation:

  • Bought my condo (detached garage) 3 years ago at $432k in Arcadia, California
  • I will be moving to Seattle in a couple of months
  • The property management company says I can try to rent it out for $2595 and they charge 5% management fee a month, $130. So my fix cost will be $2250 for mortgage, insurance and tax plus $310 HOA. Which brings me to a total of $2690.
  • If I sell my place now, it's valued at $550k and $570k will be the max

Should I rent it out or sell it?

0Reply
33 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
8y

@Sandy Fu Currently, your total costs for this apartment exceed the rent you will bring in by $95 (as per your post) i.e. rent $ are less than costs. 

You can hold onto this property and "lose" $95/month. I would only recommend doing this if your market is ultra hot and appreciating like crazy. Otherwise, ditch this, roll your proceeds through a 1031 exchange (@Dave Foster can help you) into a newer property. 

One word of caution: You might not find better pricing or value in Seattle as that is another over-heated market.

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2018 · 6 posts · 3 votes
    8y

    Rent it out and if it doesn't work out in your favor, sell it.

  • Rental Property Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    @Sandy Fu Currently, your total costs for this apartment exceed the rent you will bring in by $95 (as per your post) i.e. rent $ are less than costs. 

    You can hold onto this property and "lose" $95/month. I would only recommend doing this if your market is ultra hot and appreciating like crazy. Otherwise, ditch this, roll your proceeds through a 1031 exchange (@Dave Foster can help you) into a newer property. 

    One word of caution: You might not find better pricing or value in Seattle as that is another over-heated market.

  • Dave FosterBusiness Member
    Qualified Intermediary for 1031 Exchanges · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    8y

    @Sandy Fu, Sell.  @Omar Khan's got the rental picture nailed and it's bleak.  But I don't think you have to 1031 which makes is a sweeter deal.  That 100K ish of profit will be tax free because it's your primary residence.

    Take the tax free profit and run - no question.

    The 1031 Investor5137 Reviews
  • Rental Property Investor · Honolulu, HAWAII (HI) · Member since 2011 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y
    Sandy Fu calc your return on equity and even with appreciation (something you can’t count on) you are likely in low single digits. Problem is you need to get some experience as a remote investor. I started investing in seattle and it’s a primary market just like where you are at. I would say that seattle is even more worse rent to value numbers. If you need help calc this return in equity let me know.
  • Member since 2018 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    8y

    @Dave Pockets, @Omar Khan, @Dave Foster, @Lane Kawaoka - thanks!

    I am actually in a market which is kind of overheated as well - Arcadia, California. The problem is if I sell it, the money will be sitting in my bank account depreciating unless I can find something else to invest in.

    @Lane Kawaoka I was thinking of investing in Seattle but like you and @Omar Khan said, it's pretty overheated and the rent is worse. 

    Any idea what / where to invest in, if I decide to sell in California?

  • Dave FosterBusiness Member
    Qualified Intermediary for 1031 Exchanges · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    8y

    @Sandy Fu,  for cash flow - bout anywhere but CA.  For appreciation - the closer to the beach or the mountains in the Golden State the better.  Choose your druthers. Losing 1K a year isn't a bad trade off for $40K of appreciation.  But who can count on that - especially if that 1K is needed for food on the table and braces for your kids.

    The 1031 Investor5137 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.