ADU Advice Bay Area

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Santa Clara, CA · Member since 2019 · 160 posts · 156 votes
7y

@JaNae Anderson

I recently got permit approval in SJ (Willow Glen) for a 630 sqft attached ADU + 170 sqft addition to the existing unit. I'm happy to share my experience working with architect, the city, and contractors here. It took me about 4 months to get my permit and now I'm 3 months away from completion of the construction. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

I do want to point out that starting from July 2018, owners now can rent out both units without living in the property. With more relaxed rules from July 2018, it makes a lot more economic sense to invest into building an ADU: http://www.sanjoseca.gov/DocumentCenter/View/78534

Here's the cost breakdown of my project:

Architect + structural engineer$ 7,000
Park fee$ 4,450
School fee$ 2,192
Permit application$ 2,653
Permit Issuance$ 9,416
Contractor (estimated)$ 170,000
Inspections (estimated)$ 4,000
Landscaping and other miscellaneous$ 300
Total (estimated)$ 200,011

Good luck with your project!

See this reply in the discussion

38 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2018 · 313 posts · 230 votes
    6y

    @Michael Frank - HAHA. I was thinking the same thing on this thread and many other ADU threads.

  • San Jose, CA · Member since 2020 · 1 post · 0 votes
    6y

    @Chen Zhou thank you for sharing your experience! Your ADU looks so open and inviting. I'm looking to build a detached ADU for my property in San Jose also and am looking for an architect and structural engineer. Would you mind also sharing their contact information with me? Thank you!

  • Member since 2019 · 7 posts · 2 votes
    6y

    I moved out of the sf bay area (redwood city) two years ago, to Portland, but I've recently heard really good things about the ADU startup cottage. The site is cotta.ge. I looked into them for our adu but, like most of these companies, they only work in CA right now. maybe they're worth talking to also to get a bid?

    I wish we had more startups/infrastructure here in Portland for adus. They're legal here too, and probably easier and cheaper to build than in california, but it's still a hugely expensive long process. If anybody has experience building an adu in PDX if love to hear from you! That's our next big project we're going to embark on. 

  • San Jose, CA · Member since 2019 · 1 post · 0 votes
    5y

    @Chen Zhou - I really like how your ADU turned out and how you got it under budget. That's amazing! I am interested in doing this for my place in San Jose. Can you PM me the contacts as well? I really appreciate it. Thank you

  • Investor · Vallejo, CA · Member since 2016 · 72 posts · 25 votes
    5y

    Thanks for responding @Andrew Maxion I'm actually going the new construction route for my ADU. My plans are currently with the city waiting for approval. I'll be sure to keep you guys posted.

  • Investor · Vallejo, CA · Member since 2016 · 72 posts · 25 votes
    4y

    Hey guys, it's been a while but I wanted to give an update on my first ADU. I'm approx 30 days away from breaking ground to start construction. It's been a long journey but I'm still pushing through. The pandemic didn't help at all with timing and pricing but I'm extremely excited that it's really going to start soon.

  • Member since 2022 · 14 posts · 4 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Andrew Maxion:

    Hi @JaNae Anderson,

    I know it's been a year since you posted, but a lot has changed! The new bills that Gov. Newsom passed on January 1, 2020 definitely made building ADUs a lot easier and more affordable than ever before.

    There are a few things to consider when starting and that is to decide on which method of building makes sense. If you are looking for a cost effective and quick turn around, I would recommend a prefab solution. This would allow to control a lot of the cost because the unit is being built off site in a factory rather than having a 12 month construction. This would help eliminate unnecessary labor cost and avoid a lot of weather delays that can prolong an ADU project.

    Hope this helps and happy to discuss more!

    Prefabs sounds great but I've heard folks have had a lot of trouble making them work in the bay area. Especially since a lot of the cost savings can be wiped out by renting a crane etc. Might you know of any specific successes in the bay area I could take a look at?
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.