ISO: HELOC lender (calculating rental income for qualification)

ISO: HELOC lender (calculating rental income for qualification)

Investor · Member since 2020 · 23 posts · 8 votes

Hi All,

I'm trying to qualify for a HELOC. The problem I'm running into is two-fold:

1) Many banks still have a moratorium on these due to COVID

2) Debt to Income qualification due to unique rental income situation


On #2, I bought a triplex last September, one unit was delivered vacant, I spent a couple months renovating it, then filled it a couple months ago. Both credit unions I've visited so far calculate rental income for debt to income purposes using last years tax return. Unfortunately, last year looks terrible due to the purchase/vacancy/renovation. However, today's reality is much more stable with it fully rented.


Does anyone have recommendations for a bank or credit union that might calculate this differently? Perhaps using the income *.75 model (where I would show a profit)?

I'm in Los Angeles, have plenty of equity in my personal home, and am looking to secure a small LOC of $50k-$100k.


Thank you!

0Reply
11 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lender · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 916 posts · 647 votes
    5y

    @Tim Grich the issue you are running into is that you dont have the current rents reported on your Schedule E. Unfortunately I dont know any credit unions in LA that would base a new HELOC of stated rents as the HELOC market is very tight at the moment.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.