Best Northern CO Cities for Rental ROI

Best Northern CO Cities for Rental ROI

Realtor · Loveland, CO · Member since 2016 · 20 posts · 10 votes

I'm interested in what you all are seeing for yearly ROI numbers on single family rentals in Northern Colorado. Do you have specific cities that are giving you a better ROI overall than others? I'm seeing Cap rates around 6-8% typically in the Loveland and Fort Collins areas based on market prices. Obviously cash-on-cash returns can improve by leveraging money, or by buying distressed properties and rehabbing them.
Anyone have a favorite city for rentals, or is it just one deal at a time?

1Reply
8 views

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Honolulu, HI · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Benjamin Wishart:

      I'm seeing Cap rates around 6-8% typically in the Loveland and Fort Collins areas based on market prices. 

    1.  How are you defining market prices?

    2.  What evidence do you have that the typical cap rate actually is 6-8% or is that just a number you made up?

  • Realtor · Loveland, CO · Member since 2016 · 20 posts · 10 votes
    10y

    @Account Closed I'm using recent sales for a comparative value for the homes, and I'm using rental values and rent estimates to determine the gross income. 
    If a $300k house rents for $1800-2000 per month that gives a gross return of 7-8% annually. When you estimate taxes, insurance, vacancy, and maintenance you end up in the 6-8% ballpark. This is the rate I'm seeing in this price range. I've done most of my research in this range because this is about median price in the Fort Collins/Loveland area. 

  • Investor · Honolulu, HI · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Benjamin Wishart:

    @Account Closed I'm using recent sales for a comparative value for the homes, and I'm using rental values and rent estimates to determine the gross income. 
    If a $300k house rents for $1800-2000 per month that gives a gross return of 7-8% annually. When you estimate taxes, insurance, vacancy, and maintenance you end up in the 6-8% ballpark. This is the rate I'm seeing in this price range. I've done most of my research in this range because this is about median price in the Fort Collins/Loveland area. 

    If I'm in a ballpark the most investing I'll do is for a beer or a hot dog.  Seems like you are omitting a lot of operating expenses.  Can you detail all your calculations for us on a property we can verify a sales price?

    Also it looks like you are buying NOI that ranges from $18,000 to $24,000 for a $300,000 property. That is a pretty BIG range. If these $300,000 properties are truly comparable how do you account for such a large range in NOI ?

    Now if I were to believe your cap rate comps, which you haven't produced then if I'm buying a $21,000 NOI at 6% I would be paying $350,000 but if I bought the same NOI at 8% then I would be paying $262,500. THAT'S $87,500 DIFFERENCE!!! Geez. What's up with that?

    See how using guesstimates to calculate NOI gets you a CRAP rate?

  • Realtor · Loveland, CO · Member since 2016 · 20 posts · 10 votes
    10y

    Bob, my intent with this post is not to analyze deals, but to get feedback on rental returns relative to cities in my area. That is why I am using ballpark numbers. I fully realize that a difference of a couple percent in a Cap rate makes a huge difference. If I determine that one city has an average return that is 2% higher than another, I will focus my time and energy on that city. 

    Thanks for your input, but I don't see that you are really answering the question I asked. 

  • Investor · Honolulu, HI · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Benjamin Wishart:

    Bob, my intent with this post is not to analyze deals, but to get feedback on rental returns relative to cities in my area. That is why I am using ballpark numbers. I fully realize that a difference of a couple percent in a Cap rate makes a huge difference. If I determine that one city has an average return that is 2% higher than another, I will focus my time and energy on that city. 

    Thanks for your input, but I don't see that you are really answering the question I asked. 

    Your question and analysis is flawed.  "Returns"?  How the heck are you measuring them?  Do you want a PROFITABLE market.  SF, NYC, LA or Honolulu are the place you want to be.  For profit you want rising rents and appreciation.   

  • Realtor · Loveland, CO · Member since 2016 · 20 posts · 10 votes
    10y

    Thanks for your input @Account Closed!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.