Rental Property Insurance + Security Deposit Accounts

Rental Property Insurance + Security Deposit Accounts

New Haven, CT · Member since 2016 · 23 posts · 8 votes

Hi All,

Been a landlord for a few years in CT, but am curious as to what others are doing concerning 2 items:

1) Insurance for non-owner-occupied Multi-Family properties.

I recently switched a 2-family that I used to partly owner-occupy to a Landlord policy, since it is now fully rented.

It's in a great area, in awesome condition, updated plumbing/electrical/safety, etc.  Wonderful property with great tenants.  TOTAL nightmare to find landlord insurance - I spent 2 months of heartache and runaround to eventually find a good rate. 

What are you doing for insurance?  Is there a better type of policy to insure a small multi-family rental?  This is in New Haven (but an "A" area) and an older building so I understand there are costs associated with that.  The 300% swings in price from one carrier to another are what I don't understand.  

2) Security Deposits.

Are you simply holding these in a savings account, in your own name, separate from your other funds?  Or creating one of the "CT Security Deposit" accounts that no bank seems to understand a thing about?  I found one bank that would actually do them, but its a complete nightmare each time.  The staff has no idea what they're doing - yet another thing I've spent a month calling around about with no straight answers.  Other banks want the tenants to appear in-person, which is a burden and in some cases not even possible.  None of my friends who rent in the area, regardless of mom & pop landlord or major management company, have had to fill out W9 forms nor appear in person at a bank...

The interest rate on those escrow accounts is comically low, barely above the state minimum that you are required to give back to the tenant.  Seems a bit silly when there are 1%+ savings accounts available.  When you have a great tenant that's been with you for 4 years, it's almost embarrassing to hand them back their money + $3.17.

0Reply
23 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Stamford, CT · Member since 2017 · 30 posts · 10 votes
    8y

    Try NReig.com 

  • Northford, CT · Member since 2016 · 19 posts · 5 votes
    8y

    Matt.  I bought my first 2 unit in Hamden last year.  Had trouble w insurance search also.  Amazing the range of quotes.  Did find something reasonable through a broker. 

    I was able to set up an acct for my tenant security deposit with a W9 at Patriot Bank.  Think closest one to you is in Milford.  Tenant did not have to go to bank in person. 

  • New Haven, CT · Member since 2016 · 23 posts · 8 votes
    8y

    Thanks for the tips.  I'm set for insurance on this property now for the next year, but have another I will need to requote soon.

    I will check on Patriot Bank - honestly I'd never heard of them.  I'm using Liberty Bank for some Security Deposit accounts right now, and although I like Liberty for many other things, all 3 branches I've tried are LOST when it comes to security deposit accounts.

    I have a unit that will be rented to a group of international Post-grad researchers later this year.  Have a deposit, but won't be able to get a physical W9 until August.  And even then, no SSNs...

  • Milford, CT · Member since 2017 · 14 posts · 3 votes
    8y

    I use an insurance broker and had no issues insuring.  Mine is a SFM though - not sure if that makes a difference, but they knew it would be a rental.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.