Freedom!! Freedom !! (2) But!! But! But!

Freedom!! Freedom !! (2) But!! But! But!

Atlanta, GA 路 Member since 2014 路 221 posts 路 109 votes

hi y'all

I'm free!!! My passive income from real estate more than meets my monthly expenses!!!

What a unreal feeling!!

Leaving my well paying job was final hurdle for the equation of new rich

Automatic income , time, and mobility are all here!!

But!  But!! But!!  I am still struggling with a old "E" mindset !!

We are so conditioned to work, for works sake.  The security of a job and defined income, is like a addiction that Needs to be broken

I'm free!!!!!! 

Not turning back!!!

4Reply
150 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor 路 Riverside, CA 路 Member since 2011 路 2k+ posts 路 3k+ votes
10y
Originally posted by @Daniel Peavey:

I bought 7 houses in 5 years, for average 40k

I took no profit

Reinvested and paid off properties

I still owe some mortgage but have enough cash to cover

 It is amazing how little most people really need to break out of the rat race, but unfortunately, they get sucked up into wholesaling and flipping meanwhile totally losing site of why they got into real estate in the first place. They basically leave one job for another that might have bigger checks, but also comes with waaaay more stress.

A repeat consulting client of mine sat down with me and it was the same story I've heard before; 

Client: I made over $100K flipping houses, but I still feel broke! 

Me: Taxes and overhead are killing you huh?

Client: I pay so much in taxes and all my first quarter profits will go towards overhead.

Me: How many rentals you own?

Client: None...

Me: Time to get yourself some rentals.

When I got into real estate, the first thing I did before I bought a house was to analyze a year's worth of expenses to see what it would take to set me free. $4,400/month was all I needed. I've since doubled that a few times just for insurance, but once the primary residence is paid off, there isn't much else left to pay for.

See this reply in the discussion

70 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor 路 Houston, TX 路 Member since 2014 路 128 posts 路 87 votes
    10y

    congratulations!  I am working toward that as well.  However, I also have trouble imagining not having a regular job.  It is exciting and terrifying at the same time.  Enjoy your new freedom!

  • Atlanta, GA 路 Member since 2014 路 221 posts 路 109 votes
    10y

    Sean, if I take social security at 62, they penalize me if I make over 15k

    I know that is w2 income

    But is it investment income also??

  • Atlanta, GA 路 Member since 2014 路 221 posts 路 109 votes
    10y

    ann

    It is weird!  It is unbelievable freeing

    Yet we don't realize how security conscience we are, especially my generation because we were taught to get a good job with benefits 

  • Ottawa, Ontario 路 Member since 2016 路 61 posts 路 13 votes
    10y

    @Daniel Peavey Congratulations!!

    I hope to get there one day.  And people such as yourself provide the inspiration and motivation.  Thanks for posting your accomplishments!

  • Atlanta, GA 路 Member since 2014 路 221 posts 路 109 votes
    10y

    anyway I can help Allen

    Just ask

    Or vice versa

  • Developer 路 San Diego, CA 路 Member since 2016 路 13 posts 路 7 votes
    10y

    The over 15k penalty applies if you are earning more than 15k (outside investment income) so if you decide to still work your day job while taking SS then you will encounter that penalty.

    If you take SS at 62 you will get about 75% of your full benefit and you will lock it in. If you wait until 66 you will get 100%, if you wait till 69 you should get around 130% of your benefit.

  • Flipper/Rehabber 路 Wooster, OH 路 Member since 2016 路 40 posts 路 17 votes
    10y

    I always get a little excited when I read a topic like this... a little because of my own personal hopes & goals, but moreover, because I'm so happy to know that someone else was able to get off that hamster wheel. What a liberating feeling that must be. Congratulations & enjoy life!!

  • Atlanta, GA 路 Member since 2014 路 221 posts 路 109 votes
    10y

    Sean, 

    Great info.  Question!!  If I take social at 62, and continue to invest, will my social security still be excluded from penalty, even though I still produce more passive income??

  • Atlanta, GA 路 Member since 2014 路 221 posts 路 109 votes
    10y

    Jill, 

    Love that!! Hampster wheel, lol

    Jill, it feels unreal!!!

    Like on a cloud!!

    Victorious!!!  The rat race conquered!!

  • Boston, MA 路 Member since 2015 路 47 posts 路 4 votes
    10y

    Good for you Daniel. Congrats!

  • Wylie, TX 路 Member since 2016 路 42 posts 路 11 votes
    10y

    That's awesome!!!  I'm just getting started, and hope to be where you are in 10 years.  Hearing success stories gives me hope and motivation!

  • Atlanta, GA 路 Member since 2014 路 221 posts 路 109 votes
    10y

    hi Rob, I'm originally from Malden Mass

    Thanks!

  • Atlanta, GA 路 Member since 2014 路 221 posts 路 109 votes
    10y

    I'm here to help Patrick

    Ask me anything

    Stay focused and keep your vision

    Walk not in feelings

    And never let outward circumstances deter

  • Developer 路 San Diego, CA 路 Member since 2016 路 13 posts 路 7 votes
    10y

    Yes the passive income is excluded from the penalty calculation, I caution to consider waiting, remember its a guaranteed multiple increase if you wait vs taking the risk investing. Increasing your cash flow 57% from your income at 62 compared to 69 is a tall order in any investing. With SS you just have to wait 7 years... Food for thought.

  • Atlanta, GA 路 Member since 2014 路 221 posts 路 109 votes
    10y

    I have my own electrical company also

    Sean it depends on how much I want to work lol

    The great thing with investment income is I'm not penalized

    If I decide to work electrically I will probably wait

    Depends on how many 4 k electrical services I do lol

    Thanks for help

  • Investor 路 Massillon, OH 路 Member since 2015 路 266 posts 路 156 votes
    10y

    nice job! 5 years! That's awesome my friend!  

  • Sewell, NJ 路 Member since 2016 路 8 posts 路 2 votes
    10y

    Way to go Daniel! Want a student?

  • Sewell, NJ 路 Member since 2016 路 8 posts 路 2 votes
    10y

    If you don'the mind me asking how much Capitol did you start with? Are any of the properties financed?

  • Atlanta, GA 路 Member since 2014 路 221 posts 路 109 votes
    10y

    I worked overtime .  I'm in, or was 馃槉 A industrial electrician.  I worked many weekends.

    First i paid my house off

    Then saved about 20k

    Key:  is buying houses low

    You make money when you buy

    Also borrowed against 401

    My ROI was over 60 percent

    I took no profit

    Sent in at least 1k a month to pay off 4 properties

    I still have a few mortgages

    But enough cash to pay off

    Keep some mortgages to reduce my taxes

    And remember cash still king

    To purchase more cash cows

  • Atlanta, GA 路 Member since 2014 路 221 posts 路 109 votes
    10y

    lol student eh?  Have had a few request for that 

    How does that mentoring work??

  • Columbus, OH 路 Member since 2015 路 9 posts 路 0 votes
    10y

    Hey Daniel, Basically, mentoring is you sharing your knowledge and wisdom in a given field of work. Being an advisor to a younger less experienced colleague. Are you primarily a local investor.?

  • Atlanta, GA 路 Member since 2014 路 221 posts 路 109 votes
    10y

    Yes, basically in Atlanta

  • Rental Property Investor 路 Honolulu, HAWAII (HI) 路 Member since 2011 路 4k+ posts 路 2k+ votes
    10y
    When are you going to quit?
  • Atlanta, GA 路 Member since 2014 路 221 posts 路 109 votes
    10y

    what?  Quit what Lane??

  • Investor 路 Katy, TX 路 Member since 2015 路 32 posts 路 19 votes
    10y

    Congrats my friend. I'm hoping to emulate your success. I have another 8-10 doors to go before I reach the take this job and shove it level. I appreciate you sharing- the motivation is electric.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.