Fort Smith, AR · Member since 2017 · 1 post · 0 votes
I am looking to buy a house. I liked the house but the only problem is there is a detention pond next to the house. I am just wondering whether this would be something I should be worried about and back off on this deal or if i should get certain specific information before I should proceed. I would appreciate your input regarding this.
Rental Property Investor · Fayetteville, NC · Member since 2014 · 884 posts · 670 votes
9y
@Rama Theegala - Do you know if the property is in a designated flood zone? I'm not an expert, but I have noted that most newer housing communities are being constructed with detention ponds. They are necessary due to the amount of impervious surfaces associated with foundations, driveways, roads, etc. If its a new community - you may be able to ask the developer about it. We used to own a home next to a detention pond (dry most of the year). It didn't prevent us from buying the property and it didn't hinder us from being able to sell it. Some people consider it a plus because nothing can be developed in that area... Just my 2 cents.
I am looking to buy a house. I liked the house but the only problem is there is a detention pond next to the house. I am just wondering whether this would be something I should be worried about and back off on this deal or if i should get certain specific information before I should proceed. I would appreciate your input regarding this.
Does it actually detain or retain water? Is it in good shape? Is it on the property you are trying to purchase or is it community property? Every newish development has a detention basin for rain runoff from the streets. If it looks like it 1) holds water instead of draining it into the ground or 2) is in bad shape, consider that in your purchase. The community will most likely be responsible for any repairs and they can be pretty steep. That usually means a special assessment if there is an HOA.
Jeffersonville, IN · Member since 2016 · 36 posts · 20 votes
9y
As mentioned, detention basins are a stormwater facility designed to hold back water during a rain event. It allows water to be slowly released back into the local waterway / drainage system. Usually, a HOA or local community will maintain the basin.
If the basin is overgrown, I would be concerned since it will not hold the proper amount of volume. Otherwise, find out who takes care of it to see if you will get a charge on your taxes for the basin.