Why is there so much vacant commercial real estate?

Why is there so much vacant commercial real estate?

Attorney · Louisville, KY · Member since 2015 · 46 posts · 4 votes

Hi BP,

I'm preparing to close on my first deal, an owner-occupied duplex.  With this one almost done, I'm looking to forward to finding the next opportunity.  I believe that may come in the form of commercial office space. That leads me to my question - WHY IS THERE SO MUCH VACANT COMMERCIAL OFFICE SPACE? I'm starting to notice it everywhere.

In downtown Louisville, there are several prime spots that are vacant in highly visible/heavily foot-trafficked areas of downtown - namely Main and Market Street. If anyone has any theories, please do share. @Clay Smith @Brett K. @Chuck B.

Thanks,

Felix

0Reply
27 views

Most Popular Reply

Chuck B.Pro Member
Investor · Louisville, KY · Member since 2011 · 279 posts · 248 votes
10y

@Felix Sharpe - I've always thought that anything outside of class-A prime areas could sit empty for what seemed like ridiculously long periods. The great thing about commercial though is that once leased it can stay leased for many, many years if you're lucky.  If it's a really desirable area it won't be empty for long though.  e.g. look at Nulu, Crescent Hill, parts of Bardstown Road, etc.  Even when newer businesses are failing rapidly, it doesn't take long for a new one to take over in one of these areas.  Rents are outrageous and nothing stays empty for long on the main strips.

This is one of the reasons I really like residential property... easy, fast lease up!  Commercial though can rent for much more and be a lot more hands off.  

Our old residence is available for commercial lease right now (it's zoned for offices or residential, one of the things that originally drew me to it) and I've recently dropped the price to $9.20 a sq foot to entice some more interest.  Really hot areas might rent for something more like $14 to $20 a sq foot.  East Broadway is definitely not a "super hot" area but I think it could be in 24 months or so when all of the new development is done.   http://www.kcrea.com/listing/29785335 Find me a small law firm looking for impressive digs and I'll make it worth your while!  :)

Best,
 - Chuck

See this reply in the discussion

15 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Socal · Member since 2015 · 222 posts · 34 votes
    10y

    the Great COLLAPSE of 2016?

  • Real Estate Broker · Louisville, KY · Member since 2014 · 362 posts · 232 votes
    10y

    Rental rates are high and actual traffic outside of Mon-fri 9-5 is very low downtown.

  • Buy & Hold Owner · Redlands, CA · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    Leasing agents not attempting to retain existing commercial tenants,

    owners/agents milking every cent possible from a lease and actually driving business out

    Commercial vacancies is a sure sign of declining economy, lost jobs and subsequent home foreclosures . . . its a good measure of the community economic health.

  • Chuck B.Pro Member
    Investor · Louisville, KY · Member since 2011 · 279 posts · 248 votes
    10y

    @Felix Sharpe - I've always thought that anything outside of class-A prime areas could sit empty for what seemed like ridiculously long periods. The great thing about commercial though is that once leased it can stay leased for many, many years if you're lucky.  If it's a really desirable area it won't be empty for long though.  e.g. look at Nulu, Crescent Hill, parts of Bardstown Road, etc.  Even when newer businesses are failing rapidly, it doesn't take long for a new one to take over in one of these areas.  Rents are outrageous and nothing stays empty for long on the main strips.

    This is one of the reasons I really like residential property... easy, fast lease up!  Commercial though can rent for much more and be a lot more hands off.  

    Our old residence is available for commercial lease right now (it's zoned for offices or residential, one of the things that originally drew me to it) and I've recently dropped the price to $9.20 a sq foot to entice some more interest.  Really hot areas might rent for something more like $14 to $20 a sq foot.  East Broadway is definitely not a "super hot" area but I think it could be in 24 months or so when all of the new development is done.   http://www.kcrea.com/listing/29785335 Find me a small law firm looking for impressive digs and I'll make it worth your while!  :)

    Best,
     - Chuck

  • Chuck B.Pro Member
    Investor · Louisville, KY · Member since 2011 · 279 posts · 248 votes
    10y

    @Jay Leisten That's spot on about traffic outside of work hours, but there's something like 6K+ new units coming online between Goss Avenue to the south, Lexington Ave to the East and 10th street or so on the west.  I think that downtown and the "infill" areas directly around it are going to look very different in a couple of years.  (At least, I hope so, because I've been waiting for it for years.  Ha!)

  • Attorney · Louisville, KY · Member since 2015 · 46 posts · 4 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Chuck B.:

    @Felix Sharpe - I've always thought that anything outside of class-A prime areas could sit empty for what seemed like ridiculously long periods. 

    I will be on the look out for a firm. But I wanted to ask, when you say "Class-A" prime, what do you mean? That's not a zoning term is it?

  • Wholesaler · Detroit, MI · Member since 2016 · 9 posts · 4 votes
    10y

    Having lived through a few real estate market crashes, I have found that the commercial properties tend to rebound slower than the residential ones.  This market rebound seems to be no different, however I see a lot of the really large commercial properties are being scooped up because they are really good buys.

  • Wholesaler · Nashville, TN · Member since 2015 · 27 posts · 10 votes
    10y

    @Felix Sharpe i believe we people speak of class A or class B locations, they speak of the general area being highly sought after. Also class A being made of high rents, quality tenants, low turn over and newer buildings less than 15 years old. 

  • Attorney · Louisville, KY · Member since 2015 · 46 posts · 4 votes
    10y

    @Donta Busch Thank you! @Mary Davies Ms. Davies, in your area Dan Gilbert is buying up everything downtown. 

  • Real Estate Broker · Louisville, KY · Member since 2014 · 362 posts · 232 votes
    10y

    @Chuck B. Im looking to start buying around louisville stoneware, as they are pushing for an arts district. Being an artist and former resident of Phoenix Hill, its an area I think has plenty of growth potential as NuLu adjacent and heavy on duplex and first time buyer type shotguns.

  • Joel OwensBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    10y

    Office is HIGHLY CYCLICAL.

    I have never been a fan of office investing but that is just me. The tenant can pull up a truck and move desks and chairs in the middle of the night pretty easily and skip town.

    Medical office is a different animal. They can still move but are cemented more by heavy build out, electrical connections, equipment, etc.

    With office some more space will be taken up by new business starts in an upturning economy. When the economy goes down again they tend to downsize or move back to an in home office.

    Companies have started work and home commute programs where they can work remotely. This has caused office demand shrinkage and excess inventory on the market even though not much new office is being built. For example if companies reduce their footprint by 50% of space needed imagine how much inventory is on the market with no new builds.

    I like retail better. The tenants need the storefront if they are a destination tenant to produce sales and it is harder to move out of the space. Retail tenants do not like disruptions in business and moving so will only do it when absolutely necessary.

    Would only touch regular office in urban core areas. Suburban to rural they are much tougher. It's just not a space I like but others enjoy it. 

  • Chuck B.Pro Member
    Investor · Louisville, KY · Member since 2011 · 279 posts · 248 votes
    10y

    @Jay Leisten I think it's a good plan!  I like the entire area.  I even bought in Smoketown and that's an uphill slog but you can see the progress there too.  

  • Chuck B.Pro Member
    Investor · Louisville, KY · Member since 2011 · 279 posts · 248 votes
    10y

    @Felix Sharpe prime or class A space is just the nicest, most desirable properties. It's a judgement call but for instance, that 5 story at Preston and Main where Old National and Blue Equity are... The building is incredibly slick, great area and rents are very high, maybe 18-24 a foot?  (It's been a long time since I looked). I'd call that class A space.

  • Attorney · Louisville, KY · Member since 2015 · 46 posts · 4 votes
    10y

    @Chuck B. Gotcha. Thanks.

  • Investor · Socal · Member since 2015 · 222 posts · 34 votes
    10y

    yea retail definitely beats 'office' space but in this dreadful economy both are lagging

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.