Mid-Atlantic Real Estate Investors Association (MAREIA)

Mid-Atlantic Real Estate Investors Association (MAREIA)

Real Estate Investor · Jessup, MD · Member since 2017 · 10 posts · 8 votes

Just in case any of you guys who are in the central Maryland area (probably those of you more Baltimore-centric) were wondering about the local REIA, I'd like to offer my insight.

I had the opportunity of attending an amazing event hosted by MAREIA today. I got a ton of useful information to say the least. The fact that there were so many seasoned investors in the room was a perk because I was able to hear how they really think and about the things that concern them. 

I myself am a brand spanking new investor and I feel that attending these things if possible would be a great opportunity for new and old investors alike to pick up a tip or two that could add some value and new tools to their repertoire. 

The attendees generally agreed that although there are plenty of REIAs in the area, this is one that continually offers value at each of the various meetings that are held over the course of month. If you're looking for somewhere to network, learn, or just get away from home for few hours (I know I can't be the only one!), I'd recommend that you check these guys out. That's about it BP family. Maybe you guys knew this already, but I just wanted to attempt to add some value in some sort of way. Take care everyone :)

3Reply
47 views

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Baltimore, MD · Member since 2013 · 85 posts · 28 votes
    9y

    MAREIA is for-profit association. Their meetings cost money. They pitch their own extra services. The meetings are specifically designed for newbies, like you. Their services - same thing. I would not give them free advertisement.

    Do a little research first. Discover meetup dot com. Tons of free quality meetings, not designed to get newbies' money.

    The post should have probably been reported. My $0.02

  • Real Estate Investor · Jessup, MD · Member since 2017 · 10 posts · 8 votes
    9y

    @Sebastian Taylor I appreciate your input. I understand where you're coming from, however the only thing that I was posting about was the fact that this association was a hub for local investors. Yes there is normally a cost associated, however today's was free. There were plenty of seasoned investors there who readily gave input about various topics of concern. The only thing I only wanted to allude to was the fact that there was quality information being given there. 

    If something like this needs to be reported, I'd be willing to take the post down myself if needed. 

    Additionally, I appreciate the tidbit about the meetup website. I'm fairly familiar with it, but of course I've got plenty of more learning to do. If you've got any personal recommendations for a guy like me, I'd like to hear about those two cents as well! Until then, take care my friend!

  • Baltimore, MD · Member since 2013 · 85 posts · 28 votes
    9y

    Today was a workshop with Larry goins, wasn't it? $49.00 for non-members? How is it free.

    I cannot recommend you anything as I don't know what is your area of concern. If you ask a question, I will try to answer. If you pitch for somebody who's business model is to get money from newbies because they are naïve clueless, being that mareia or larry goins, I feel I add my two cents so others are fully aware.

  • Towson, MD · Member since 2015 · 161 posts · 44 votes
    9y

    @Calvin Watson Thank you for your input. I have not been to that REIA, but it has been on my radar. I think there is value in any gathering you go to as a new investor, whether paid or free. Yes many pitch their own educational opportunities, and there is definite value in them in my opinion, but ultimately you will find what combination works best for your interests, budget, goals, and personality. Many of the local REIA's have free events, which give you the opportunity to see if it is a good fit for you. The key is to go with what environment challenges you, supports you, and lifts you up at the same time, while you being able to do the same for others in the group. Again, thank you for your input! Keep learning and sharing.

  • Real Estate Investor · Jessup, MD · Member since 2017 · 10 posts · 8 votes
    9y

    Well @Sebastian Taylor funny story actually. The part about the event being about 50 bucks for non members is true. I'd be lying if I said the event wasn't supposed to be a paid event. I did a bit of reading on what was going to be offered at the event and thought I'd sign up. Upon just taking that extra step, I got registered for free. When I arrived there, everyone else had gotten the same. There was one gentlemen who had somehow paid for his registration and he was promptly reimbursed.

    As for the part about you discrediting Mr. Goins and the REIA - well that just isn't fair. Even if a person paid to attend the workshop, the price would be more than appropriate. I am well aware that there are some people in the real estate game claiming to be the gurus that will help a person achieve the "get rich quick" level of success that might seem unrealistic and slightly unethical, however I can assure you that Mr. Goins and this REIA don't fall into that category. 

    As for new investors, I can even offer some advice that could help remedy the "naïvety" - something that will even help you in your endeavor to invest in regardless of your vehicle of choice! 

    Do your due diligence - Do your part and look at the facts of the situation. Realize that with any type of investing there is risk involved, but do your best to mitigate those risks. You'll never be free and clear of the risk, but you can take countermeasures to reduce it! Yes, there's a possibility that it might not work out, but what if it does?! There's beauty in investing, I'd challenge you to seek it out so that you can see it with your own eyes!

    Listen to what others have to say - You can levy the expertise and experience of others if you are able to do this one thing. They can tell you about things that from their personal experience that range from not working at all to work almost 100% of the time. They can tell you about mistakes that are likely to be made by a newbie and how best to avoid them. People who are already doing what it is you are wanting to do are an invaluable resource. Cherish their input and opinion, but at the end of the day, the choice of how to use it or use it all is up to you. Use it all, take a piece, whatever - just make an intelligent, well-though-out decision because you are an intelligent person! Trust me :) 

    Have an open mind - Just because something hasn't been done yet doesn't neccessarily mean that it can't be. That's how innovation happens! If you think that something can be done faster, better, or any of those comparative words that mean to be "gooder" - then try it out. It could work, it might not, but the experience and wisdom gained coupled with the possibility of coming out way ahead make the efforts more than worth it. (Just make sure you're abiding by the law as you're doing your innovating though! lol) Anything is possible as long as you're willing to put the effort forth and have an open mind!

    Take action - Probably the most important piece, taking action is what will allow you to bring anything into fruition. I think that Derek Sivers said it best. "If information was the answer, then we'd all be billionaires with perfect abs." If you never take action on what you know, then of course it doesn't work. I'd like to challenge all of you to learn, but don't just stop there. Go out and do. If you happened to pay for your investing education, take action on it! Don't allow yourself to label that investment as a waste if you never even attempted to use it!

    Well, that's about it, folks! I hope that at least one person can find some use in this. I pray that many blessings come your way as you work toward your dreams of financial freedom!

  • Real Estate Investor · Jessup, MD · Member since 2017 · 10 posts · 8 votes
    9y

    I really appreciate your input @Angela DeBorja! I'd hope that everyone can find some type of group that meshes well with their person. Having that environment challenges you, supports you, and lifts you up at the same time is something that could make a world of difference. If the person never tries, they'll never realize how strong and capable they are. It's when we take action, maybe fall short, and go back at it even harder the next time that we are able to gain the experience and become great. I'll definitely be checking out other places in my local area in time. And thank you for your encouraging reply!

  • Real Estate Investor · Silver Spring, MD · Member since 2015 · 19 posts · 8 votes
    9y

    @Calvin Watson & @Angela DeBorja It's great that you are scouting different REIAs and meetups where you can meet more investors. I've attended the BWI REAI meetup which is free. They have monthly meetings with 30 minutes of networking before the main presenter. 

    Check it out.

    https://www.meetup.com/BwiMeetup/

    I haven't had any issues with this meetup and, as with everything, think twice before opening your wallet.

  • Real Estate Investor · Jessup, MD · Member since 2017 · 10 posts · 8 votes
    9y

    Thank you @Ntiense Inokon for the tip! I'll definitely check that out. 

  • Real Estate Investor · Jessup, MD · Member since 2017 · 10 posts · 8 votes
    9y

    @Sherman Ragland thanks for that tip, sir! I've subscribed to your REIA's e-mails. I just have to find time to make it out! From the little bit that I've read, there's definitely value with you guys. Thank you for the invitation.

  • Baltimore, MD · Member since 2016 · 75 posts · 11 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Calvin Watson:

    Well @Sebastian Taylor funny story actually. The part about the event being about 50 bucks for non members is true. I'd be lying if I said the event wasn't supposed to be a paid event. I did a bit of reading on what was going to be offered at the event and thought I'd sign up. Upon just taking that extra step, I got registered for free. When I arrived there, everyone else had gotten the same. There was one gentlemen who had somehow paid for his registration and he was promptly reimbursed.

    As for the part about you discrediting Mr. Goins and the REIA - well that just isn't fair. Even if a person paid to attend the workshop, the price would be more than appropriate. I am well aware that there are some people in the real estate game claiming to be the gurus that will help a person achieve the "get rich quick" level of success that might seem unrealistic and slightly unethical, however I can assure you that Mr. Goins and this REIA don't fall into that category. 

    As for new investors, I can even offer some advice that could help remedy the "naïvety" - something that will even help you in your endeavor to invest in regardless of your vehicle of choice! 

    Do your due diligence - Do your part and look at the facts of the situation. Realize that with any type of investing there is risk involved, but do your best to mitigate those risks. You'll never be free and clear of the risk, but you can take countermeasures to reduce it! Yes, there's a possibility that it might not work out, but what if it does?! There's beauty in investing, I'd challenge you to seek it out so that you can see it with your own eyes!

    Listen to what others have to say - You can levy the expertise and experience of others if you are able to do this one thing. They can tell you about things that from their personal experience that range from not working at all to work almost 100% of the time. They can tell you about mistakes that are likely to be made by a newbie and how best to avoid them. People who are already doing what it is you are wanting to do are an invaluable resource. Cherish their input and opinion, but at the end of the day, the choice of how to use it or use it all is up to you. Use it all, take a piece, whatever - just make an intelligent, well-though-out decision because you are an intelligent person! Trust me :) 

    Have an open mind - Just because something hasn't been done yet doesn't neccessarily mean that it can't be. That's how innovation happens! If you think that something can be done faster, better, or any of those comparative words that mean to be "gooder" - then try it out. It could work, it might not, but the experience and wisdom gained coupled with the possibility of coming out way ahead make the efforts more than worth it. (Just make sure you're abiding by the law as you're doing your innovating though! lol) Anything is possible as long as you're willing to put the effort forth and have an open mind!

    Take action - Probably the most important piece, taking action is what will allow you to bring anything into fruition. I think that Derek Sivers said it best. "If information was the answer, then we'd all be billionaires with perfect abs." If you never take action on what you know, then of course it doesn't work. I'd like to challenge all of you to learn, but don't just stop there. Go out and do. If you happened to pay for your investing education, take action on it! Don't allow yourself to label that investment as a waste if you never even attempted to use it!

    Well, that's about it, folks! I hope that at least one person can find some use in this. I pray that many blessings come your way as you work toward your dreams of financial freedom!

     Good points Calvin!! Especially on raking action. That is the area I really need to work on 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.