Where to invest $100k in St. Louis

Where to invest $100k in St. Louis

Real Estate Consultant · Glendora, CA · Member since 2019 · 314 posts · 95 votes

Hi BP,

I will be flying to St. Louis next week in hopes to find my first out of state rental. I have narrowed down a few places to invest based on my budget, rental potential, appreciation, and vacancy. My strategy is cash-flow with minor appreciation. 

Here are the areas I'm thinking of investing in. Any recommendations, suggestions, or input would be greatly appreciated. 

- Carondelet Park

-Tower Grove S

-Gravious Park

-Vandeventer

2Reply
16 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · St. Louis, MO · Member since 2019 · 55 posts · 18 votes
5y

@Brandon Carlson Yes, parts of University City are very expensive because of the old money there and the university. However, just north of the Delmar loop, which has seen a revitalization in recent years, it's slowly gentrifying and you will find good cash flowing properties in B to C neighborhoods (varies street by street), with a possible chance of appreciation.

See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Honolulu, HI · Member since 2020 · 196 posts · 190 votes
    5y

    Good luck Brandon, hope that it works out well for you.

  • Saint Charles, MO · Member since 2017 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    5y

    Hey Brandon! I know you posted this over a month ago. I was curious if you were able to find anything promising when you came out here? I would also suggest the St. Charles area and/or Chesterfield. Both are suburbs of STL with great potential! 

  • Member since 2019 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    5y

    I'm in Jefferson county just south  of St. Louis and there are tons of deals I'm looking at for 40k bought and updated rents are 800 -1,200/mo

  • Investor · St. Louis, MO · Member since 2019 · 55 posts · 18 votes
    5y

    Yes @Brandon Carlson, let us know if you have any updates.

    IMHO, Carondelet Park and Gravious Park fit your criteria the best. Those areas cash flow well and certain blocks will give you minor appreciation. However, much of Tower Grove South has already gentrified, appreciated, and is quite pricey. In Vandeventer you'll be dealing with higher violent crime rates (as with most of North City), but that neighborhood might be worth further exploring based on your criteria. 

  • Real Estate Consultant · Glendora, CA · Member since 2019 · 314 posts · 95 votes
    5y

    @Dalton Schwentker. I have not yet. Submitted a few offers but unfortunately they were not accepted. The search continues... Are you looking to invest in the St. Louis Market?

    @Hans M. Thank you for your input. What does IMHO stand for? lol. What are your thoughts on University City? It's a bit out of my budget but when driving through the town I see it may be a good rental area due to health care occupations. 

    Best,

  • Investor · Asheville, NC · Member since 2020 · 56 posts · 33 votes
    5y

    @Brandon Carlson, IMHO = In my humble opinion.  Of course, that's IMHO, ha!

  • Investor · St. Louis, MO · Member since 2019 · 55 posts · 18 votes
    5y

    @Brandon Carlson Yes, parts of University City are very expensive because of the old money there and the university. However, just north of the Delmar loop, which has seen a revitalization in recent years, it's slowly gentrifying and you will find good cash flowing properties in B to C neighborhoods (varies street by street), with a possible chance of appreciation.

  • Real Estate Consultant · Glendora, CA · Member since 2019 · 314 posts · 95 votes
    5y

    @Hans M. Thank you again for your recommendation. Once I get something under escrow, I will update the thread to let you know what I've purchased. 

    Best,

  • Saint Charles, MO · Member since 2017 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    5y

    @Brandon Carlson I am looking to invest in and around St. Louis. I am graduating in about a month and a half and am on track to get something under contract by the end of 2021. I would be happy to give more information about STL as I have lived here all of my life. Feel free to message me if you have any questions about neighborhoods/etc. I will do my best to help!

  • Real Estate Consultant · Glendora, CA · Member since 2019 · 314 posts · 95 votes
    5y

    @Dalton Schwentker congrats on the graduation, that's a huge milestone! Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated. I will send you a message now. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.