Frustrated! Can't get offer accepted -- when will this end?

Frustrated! Can't get offer accepted -- when will this end?

NJ · Member since 2017 · 18 posts · 6 votes

It's been a year trying to buy a multi fam for owner occupy -- been offering 30k+ than listing price and waiving everything but nothing seems to work. Idk when this will end.. Mostly looking at Middlesex, and essex county 

0Reply
76 views

Most Popular Reply

Member since 2022 · 15 posts · 21 votes
4y
Quote from @Joseph Antwi:
Quote from @Rachel Rocconi:

Try offering a couple thousand towards the seller's closing costs - a little goes a long way to show you're motivated and willing to work with them!


 yeah just that they not even talking to us because they probably got a cash offer smh 


 I would encourage your agent to look at off market opportunities - expired or cancelled listings, posts for one side for rent (could be a tired landlord or an investor with multiple properties). Creativity is key in this market!

See this reply in the discussion

29 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2021 · 25 posts · 20 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Joseph Antwi:
    Quote from @Hady Farag:

    @Joseph Antwi

    I get it. I finally closed on a 2-family in Newark last week after 10 months searching. It’s crazy how this market is but here are a few experiences I went through that I can share ..

    My first offer on a property I got an accepted offer! I was ecstatic to say the least. Especially at a time where interest rates were at an all time low, I had a quote at 2.5% and the property was a legal 3-family. Then came the appraisal …

    The property under appraised by $175k below the agreed upon price (Imagine a 3-family with 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms in each unit in Newark with no work needed appraising at 475K LOL). I was going through FHA and the hoops they make you jump to fight an appraisal is ridiculous. The deal fell apart and I was pretty bummed out but I wasn't giving up.

    4 offers later I finally got the perfect property for me and did a conventional loan. Most of the time I was getting outbid by people, as much as by 50k over asking price, and that’s just the game. I lived with my decisions knowing I made my best offer and not basing it off on emotions. You’ll find something soon, just revisit your offers and stay competitive. In my experience the offers that were picked were the ones that offer the most money. Good luck and don’t give up


     Thanks for sharing your experience -- where did you end up buying? and also did appraisal come above the price? if so, how did you make up the difference? just cash? 


     I ended up buying in Newark, literally 2 blocks away from where the first property that under appraised for is. And get this, the 2-family I purchased appraised at $575k where the 3-family that I was under contract for appraised at $475k. Didn't make sense to me then and still doesn't make sense to me now.

    From what I've been hearing appraisers are being very conservative in this hot market. I had to come out of pocket for my purchase. I would say go with the mindset of maybe coming out of pocket. 

  • Newark, NJ · Member since 2015 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Joseph Antwi:

    It's been a year trying to buy a multi fam for owner occupy -- been offering 30k+ than listing price and waiving everything but nothing seems to work. Idk when this will end.. Mostly looking at Middlesex, and essex county 

    As a realtor and investor myself, I can tell you in northeast NJ, the market is wild, and is unlike any other market (except for maybe some areas in CA, NY and FL). It has been for quite some time, and it will continue to be. I have many frustrated buyers in your same situation. Unfortunately, I do not see it getting "better" anytime soon, and I am only speaking to this market right now.
    Buyers need to understand a few key points these days (Perhaps this will ease your frustration a bit):

    -Multifamily properties specifically are in extremely high demand. Everyone wants a MF these days.
    -Tons of buyers have cash to purchase $600k or $800k properties outright. Not just serial "investors."
    -MF sellers are accepting offers within 2 to 5 days of being on market. Often times with only one day of showings.
    -Some buyers have been frustrated like you for the past year or 2, and at this point, they are tired of being consistently outbid, so they are bidding $30k to $50k to $75k above asking easily.
    -Sellers are getting away with selling MF props that are fully occupied, and sometimes even with non paying tenants!
    -The buyers are waiving appraisals, inspections, getting their own CO, you name it... Just to get their offers accepted.
    -Not many buyers care about cash flow- you're right! The way they see it, with inflation going the way it is, they are safer putting their money into real estate right now (even if they aren't getting ROI right now).
    - Another part of the cycle is the upcoming interest rate hikes. Buyers are willing to pay more now to secure a lower interest rate, as the difference of an extra $30k on a mortgage can be close to the equivalent of an interest rate point hike. (Keep in mind that most cash buyers are planning to refinance after closing, so yes - interest rates are still a factor here!)

    So with all that being said, that's why I believe this market is in the state that it is in. The only advice I could offer is to suggest purchasing a home that needs more work than you originally wanted or intended to do. That's the only way to filter out some of the competition. 

  • Property Manager · Henderson, NV · Member since 2018 · 501 posts · 317 votes
    4y

    Look for property that needs work.  Take the time (or have your Realtor) to actually visit a crappy looking property to see what the deal is.  For example, I had one where nobody wanted the house because it apparently needed a re-plumb (permits were not showing the required plumbing work). Once under contract the plumber verified that the property actually was re-plumbed but the permits were not completed.  Long story short, the buyer ended up closing on the home $20,000 under market. 

  • Investor · Member since 2020 · 64 posts · 29 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Joseph Antwi:

    It's been a year trying to buy a multi fam for owner occupy -- been offering 30k+ than listing price and waiving everything but nothing seems to work. Idk when this will end.. Mostly looking at Middlesex, and essex county 


    have you considered just buying a SFH and a separate rental? 30k is 20% down in a lot of markets....

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.