Remove existing tenants in 4 unit, owner occupied home in Clifton

Remove existing tenants in 4 unit, owner occupied home in Clifton

Clifton, NJ · Member since 2016 · 1 post · 0 votes

Hello! I purchased this property in 2015 with pre-existing tenants. It was my first real estate investment. The building is 4 units (2 one bedroom + two 2-bedroom) I live in one of the one bedroom units with my gf and renting out the other units. The two 2BDR units are occupied by tenants that have been living there for 16 to 18 years. Only paying about $1100/ month in rent. There's no rent control in Clifton since 2011 but they've been grandfathered in from previous ordinance? I can only raise the rent by 2% a year. The lawyers I've talked to said that it won't be easy to get them out without a reason. They haven't signed a lease with me or anything, and they don't have any copy of the original lease. I'm planning to add my father to the title so that he can move in to one of the units. I called a title company to find out how to do that, they said to call an attorney and record a new deed. Anyone have experience with a good company that could handle this?  

0Reply
7 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Mount Laurel, NJ · Member since 2017 · 5 posts · 3 votes
    9y

    You cannot just remove tenants for the heck of it. If you cash flow, then I would not worry about it especially if they are good tenants that don't cause any problems. You can always adjust the rents of the other units. If it doesn't cash flow unless you raise the 1100/month rent, than perhaps you should have reconsidered the deal in the first place, or got more info on your inherited tenants and their leases.

  • Real Estate Agent/ Realtor · Jersey City, NJ · Member since 2017 · 7 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    I have a title company that I can recommend @Pablo Zirpolo, just inbox me. If they are month to tenants, you can give 30 day notice and request for removal. Unless they have particular circumstances that you  haven't mentioned I don't see why they cant be evicted, especially if its not rent control. 

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9y
    It sounds like you want to move your dad in check for exceptions with a lawyer based on the fact you are owner occupied and moving your dad in. Give lots of notice to them and check the original ordinance for allowed exceptions too.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.