To flip or to hold - Trenton NJ

To flip or to hold - Trenton NJ

Morris Plains, NJ · Member since 2016 · 28 posts · 2 votes

So, I will be closing on my 1st investment property soon. I saw the property the 1st day it was listed, while at the house speaking to the agent she literally was receiving offers for the house and the phone was ringing off the hook with people trying to see the property.  So, I figured investors with more experience saw something and I offered the list price which later was accepted. Since my offer was accepted a few weeks ago people are still making offers even though the property is off the market. One person allegedly offered $10,000 over ask if things fall through. 

Sooo do you guys think i should flip it or hold it?

1Reply
36 views

Most Popular Reply

Scotch Plains, NJ · Member since 2015 · 89 posts · 31 votes
7y

@Spence O. I’m thinking you won’t make much selling it after commission, some closing costs and then taxes. I’d hold it!!!

See this reply in the discussion

17 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Greenwich, CT · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    @Spence O., there's no way we can offer opinions without specifics.

  • Morris Plains, NJ · Member since 2016 · 28 posts · 2 votes
    7y
    Purchase price is $55,000 its a townhouse. An identical unit next door sold for $75000 a couple of years ago. Pride of ownership shows throughout needs light updating.

    Originally posted by @Jaysen Medhurst:

    @Spence O., there's no way we can offer opinions without specifics.

  • Real Estate Agent · Cupertino, CA · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    ROI?

    tax consequence?

    turn around time ?

  • Morris Plains, NJ · Member since 2016 · 28 posts · 2 votes
    7y
    Rent should easily be $1200-$1300 per month. After I refinance and take my money out mortgage will be around $650 per month

    Or I could sell and make $10,000-25,000

    not sure about tax consequence.

    houses in this area that are priced right are selling in 1-3 days.

    Originally posted by @Sam Shueh:

    ROI?

    tax consequence?

    turn around time ?

  • Scotch Plains, NJ · Member since 2015 · 89 posts · 31 votes
    7y

    @Spence O. I’m thinking you won’t make much selling it after commission, some closing costs and then taxes. I’d hold it!!!

  • Investor · Maplewood, NJ · Member since 2012 · 12 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    Sell on lease option for $90k in 2yrs with rental of$1,400 per month. Profit around $63k in 2yrs. Collect $10-15k as option fee down.

  • Member since 2018 · 30 posts · 8 votes
    7y
    I just purchased my 1st 2 properties in Trenton NJ in October 2018. I am looking to rent because the market is on the rise in the next few years. I purchased at the Sheriff Auction for $11,700 and completed repairs for $28,000. I am all in for $39,700. My house will rent for $1,300. I suggest you buy an hold in the Trenton area.
  • Member since 2018 · 30 posts · 8 votes
    7y
    I also plan to Brrr my property after a few months as I have used most of my cash.
  • Morris Plains, NJ · Member since 2016 · 28 posts · 2 votes
    7y
    Niceee... What part of town? 

    Originally posted by @Gerald Boone:

    I just purchased my 1st 2 properties in Trenton NJ in October 2018. I am looking to rent because the market is on the rise in the next few years. I purchased at the Sheriff Auction for $11,700 and completed repairs for $28,000. I am all in for $39,700. My house will rent for $1,300. I suggest you buy an hold in the Trenton area.

  • Morris Plains, NJ · Member since 2016 · 28 posts · 2 votes
    7y
    Winston, that's a interesting concept. I'm leaning towards holding and aggressively paying off the mortgage aftet I refinance. I hope to pay it off in 5 yrs or so for maximum cash flow.

    Originally posted by @Winston W:

    Sell on lease option for $90k in 2yrs with rental of$1,400 per month. Profit around $63k in 2yrs. Collect $10-15k as option fee down.

  • Member since 2018 · 30 posts · 8 votes
    7y
    @Spence O. How is your property going in Trenton?
  • Rental Property Investor · Sicklerville, NJ · Member since 2017 · 17 posts · 8 votes
    7y

    @Gerald Boone hey Gerald, can you share some specifics on your properties?

    What part of Trenton are you in and how is the tenant pool?

  • Member since 2018 · 30 posts · 8 votes
    7y

    Both properties are on the same street in West Trenton.  They are single family homes in which both tenants receive section 8 subsidy. $1,250 per.property.

    Trenton is a city in which 85% of the people are renters, so buy and hold is the way to go.

  • Morris Plains, NJ · Member since 2016 · 28 posts · 2 votes
    7y
    @Gerald Boone it's going great so far. Rented it out for $1350 per month. Just completed a cash out refinance, I'm actively looking for more. Inventory has decreased with an uptick in prices. How are you making out?


    Originally posted by @Gerald Boone:

    @Spence O.

    How is your property going in Trenton?

  • Member since 2018 · 30 posts · 8 votes
    7y

    @Spence O.

    I'm doing well as both properties are renting for $1,250. Who did you cash out refinance with? The banks that I spoke with will not finance under $50k.

  • Member since 2018 · 30 posts · 8 votes
    7y

    The City of Trenton Auction is on Monday. 

  • Morris Plains, NJ · Member since 2016 · 28 posts · 2 votes
    7y
    I know, did you view any of the properties and have you been to the city auction? Good deals?

    Originally posted by @Gerald Boone:

    The City of Trenton Auction is on Monday. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.