I recently received a notice that my Hudson County, NJ property's taxes have been randomly increased by over 8k due to improvements made. This came as a huge shock to me and it essentially doubles my already high taxes. To make matters worse I haven't even made any improvements and was told this increase was due to improvements made by the last owner almost five years ago which seemed ridiculous to me. I was contacted by a legal firm who specializes in tax appeals and I am awaiting to hear back to schedule a consultation. I was reaching out here to see if anyone else in the area has received such an extreme increase in taxes or if anyone has any experience with the appeals process in Hudson County or anywhere else for that matter. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!
Flipper/Rehabber · Hazlet, NJ · Member since 2017 · 61 posts · 110 votes
4y
I don’t really have a suggestion for you. However, I can identify with your frustration. It’s almost comical how towns can randomly do stuff. Like - in a down market, they can reduce your assessment - but, the rate goes up. And your taxes don’t go down. I try to chalk it up as a cost of business - but, it’s frustrating!
Investor · Maplewood NJ · Member since 2015 · 25 posts · 15 votes
4y
@Andre Taylor-Domville I definitely understand your frustration, I just purchased a house hack in maplewood NJ and my property taxes went up by $2-3k per year. I think you're doing the right thing by seeking legal assistance, I believe there is a formula they follow and should let you know if you fall within that threshold to take that case on or not (I did this for a North Bergen multifamily i bought back in 2019, unfortunately it wasn't successful lol).
@Harry Arnold appreciate the reply, I guess it helps that I’m not alone lol even if it is ridiculous. Hopefully something can be done but if not a cost of business it is unfortunately.
@Moustafa Ahmed yea I was researching the formula and it seemed pretty complicated so definitely going to go with the lawyers. Sorry to hear about your North Bergen property, appreciate the response we’ll see what happens with my situation I guess.
Rental Property Investor · Red Bank, NJ · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
4y
With that amount of $ I would look to go with an attorney. I have appealed here in Monmouth and I have seen the wheeling and dealing done in front of me. The attorneys are known to the assessors and there is a lot of horse trading that the typical Joe Public doesn't get access to.
I have done work on my building and have a 5 year tax abatement in a portion of the taxes.
@Patrick M. yea I agree, the firm I went with exclusively handles these appeals and stated they have relationships with the involved parties. If it was a smaller amount I’m sure I could handle it myself but with this big a change I don’t want to take any chances. Really appreciate the response!
Union City, NJ · Member since 2015 · 31 posts · 14 votes
4y
@Andre Taylor-Domville would you mind sharing the firm you are using? I have a similar situation for the property taxes for one of my properties in Union City. Thanks!
I also live in UC and had a similar situation as you. I bought a legal three family (was converted from a 2 family by the previous owner). The state had it registered as a three family but only after closing did I find out the town didn’t when my taxes for the year increased by 33%. I spoke to three lawyers about appealing and was told I didn’t have a chance because my new assessed value was still significantly below my purchase price.
Such is life in Union City, unfortunately.
Two things: 1) definitely pursue legal and see if they can help. 2) I wonder if you can fight for a tax abatement given the “significant” improvements you’ve made to the home that warranted the tax increase.