Thoughts on Newburgh, NY for first-time SFH buy and hold?

Thoughts on Newburgh, NY for first-time SFH buy and hold?

Member since 2018 · 1 post · 1 vote

Hello, I'm a first time investor trying to keep it simple with a SFH to buy and hold and rent out. Looking in a few areas in the surrounding-ish NYC area, ideally 2 hours max from where I live in Queens. Been thinking of Allentown, PA, Jersey City, NJ and Newburgh, NY. I'm curious about what people think about Newburgh, it was suggested to me by a friend who is an investor. Any thoughts or advice. Thanks!

1Reply
22 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Chappaqua, NY · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 947 votes
8y

@Diana Isern newburgh is def an interesting market.  Do some research before you jump  in. I think it’s a great market and a really good time for newburgh.  

Our next meetup is 9/13 8 am.  Welcome to attend.  There is a ton of experience at the meetup.  https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/311/topics/473601-thoughts-as-we-approach-the-top-of-the-market?page=2

@Paul Constantine that sounds like good advice.  The area near the brewery can be isolated. 

See this reply in the discussion

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2018 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    8y

    Hi Diana,

    I don't know the area great, but I have family that lives about 10 miles away in Washingtonville.  I've been there for a party at the brewery.  I had planned on leaving my car on the street there overnight but was advised by family to make other transportation plans.  Do a quick search of "newburgh ny crime", in 2015 it made the top 10 most dangerous cities in America...looks like it's improved a bit since then.  I'm not advising either way, just my input.  Good Luck!

    Paul

  • Rental Property Investor · Chappaqua, NY · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 947 votes
    8y

    @Diana Isern newburgh is def an interesting market.  Do some research before you jump  in. I think it’s a great market and a really good time for newburgh.  

    Our next meetup is 9/13 8 am.  Welcome to attend.  There is a ton of experience at the meetup.  https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/311/topics/473601-thoughts-as-we-approach-the-top-of-the-market?page=2

    @Paul Constantine that sounds like good advice.  The area near the brewery can be isolated. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Washingtonville, NY · Member since 2017 · 42 posts · 20 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Paul Constantine:

    Hi Diana,

    I don't know the area great, but I have family that lives about 10 miles away in Washingtonville.  I've been there for a party at the brewery.  I had planned on leaving my car on the street there overnight but was advised by family to make other transportation plans.  Do a quick search of "newburgh ny crime", in 2015 it made the top 10 most dangerous cities in America...looks like it's improved a bit since then.  I'm not advising either way, just my input.  Good Luck!

    Paul

     I'm actually in Washingtonville :)

    Newburgh is definitely interesting, keeping on my radar, but not yet ready to pull the trigger.  It seems like you have to get familiar with the different neighborhoods as some are worse than others.  Around the brewery, it does seem sketchy, but if you go up a few blocks inland the area there is copmletely different. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.