Using a Private Investigator to locate property owners

Using a Private Investigator to locate property owners

Raleigh, NC · Member since 2015 · 62 posts · 9 votes

Does anyone in the NC market have a recommendation and/or experience using a Private Investigator to locate homeowners? All information will be helpful. Thanks in advance

0Reply
59 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Cary, NC · Member since 2014 · 120 posts · 89 votes
8y

Hi @Walnar Agenor, I was also wondering how to find people, I'll let you know what I come up with as well.

@Linda Weygant  Your response seems a bit aggressive? Why do you assume the worst like he is trying to sue them. ? 

I also don't think that most people are necessarily looking for anonymity when they fail to put down their actual address vs. the property address in the public record. Here in NC is the default for it to be the property address and most folks don't think about it when they buy an investment property. Walnar may very well be doing them a favor by contacting them. 

I personally, applaud his tenacity and resourcefulness.

See this reply in the discussion

18 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Des Moines, IA · Member since 2016 · 922 posts · 533 votes
    8y

    @Walnar Agenor

    I don't know.  We are looking to locate an old tenant that never took water utilities in his name (utility here in Des Moines unfortunately kind of dropped the ball and didn't let us know until a month of his move out)

    I'd be curious to hear how this goes.  Thanks for the idea though I'm going to call around to get some rates etc.

  • Linda WeygantPro Member
    Investor and CPA · Arvada, CO · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Walnar Agenor:

    Does anyone in the NC market have a recommendation and/or experience using a Private Investigator to locate homeowners? All information will be helpful. Thanks in advance

    Why would you do this?

    If the public record is not sufficient for you, then the property owner is looking for a degree of anonymity.  What is such an emergency that you feel you need to circumvent whatever privacy the homeowner wants?  If you're looking to sue, then the public record has all the info you need.

    If your burning need to buy their property is greater than their desire for anonymity or privacy, just stop.  I can promise you that they will not be pleased to hear from you, particularly if they find out you hired a PI to find them.  

  • Rental Property Investor · Cary, NC · Member since 2014 · 120 posts · 89 votes
    8y

    Hi @Walnar Agenor, I was also wondering how to find people, I'll let you know what I come up with as well.

    @Linda Weygant  Your response seems a bit aggressive? Why do you assume the worst like he is trying to sue them. ? 

    I also don't think that most people are necessarily looking for anonymity when they fail to put down their actual address vs. the property address in the public record. Here in NC is the default for it to be the property address and most folks don't think about it when they buy an investment property. Walnar may very well be doing them a favor by contacting them. 

    I personally, applaud his tenacity and resourcefulness.

  • Houston, TX · Member since 2015 · 81 posts · 19 votes
    8y
    Have you tried just paying someone who has access to a skip tracing service? It’s a small fee. They get multiple phone numbers for you etc
  • Linda WeygantPro Member
    Investor and CPA · Arvada, CO · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y

    @Christian Hansen - I didn't assume he was suing - I put it out there as a possibility.  Considering OP is a Wholesaler, my assumption is that he's really aggressively marketing, actually and really, really thinks that his right to try to get that property under contract supercedes the owner's desire for privacy or anonymity.

  • Raleigh, NC · Member since 2015 · 62 posts · 9 votes
    8y

    @Christian Hansen Yes please let me know your findings. Thanks

  • Raleigh, NC · Member since 2015 · 62 posts · 9 votes
    8y

    @Brittany Villamil I currently use a basic Skip service which can be hit or miss. I will most likely try to work with someone who has a software that can generate more up to date results. Thanks for the advice.

  • Houston, TX · Member since 2015 · 81 posts · 19 votes
    8y
    Walnar Agenor my mom is licensed or certified through whatever agency approves it (not sure official name, if it’s the government?) she has access to. their SSN and criminal records..if they’ve every filed for bankruptcy etc it’s crazy! Someone comes out and checks up on her and inspects etc. We’ve always managed to find the owner. Maybe it is different than what you’ve been using?
  • Investor · Menifee, CA · Member since 2015 · 534 posts · 216 votes
    8y
    I have used a PI before and it paid out big time with a property. I have TLO and other ways to find people and the PI is my last option to use if it makes sense to find someone to make an offer on their property. Linda Weygant yes it can make a seller upset but if all things add up to benefiting a seller then I go for it. I look at how much I spend on a mailing list at times and get nothing out of it so paying the PI on a vacant property, that is in need of a lot of work, has years of back taxes on it etc etc is worth it to me. I did it not long ago on a property and the heir was pleased I paid for the terms of succession fees with my lawyer and purchased as is. I currently have the same PI looking for another owner who is going to lose his house to tax auction soon if all back taxes not paid and property is vacant and highly distressed. Family members have not seen him in years so even if he tells me to pound sand I can tell his family he is alive at least and he will know he is going to lose his house to tax auction and he can rectify his problem himself. Not being able to find owners can be a good thing with the right property and situation cause that means no one else is talking to them about buying their property! Until you hire a PI when all else fails in locating that person.
  • Raleigh, NC · Member since 2015 · 62 posts · 9 votes
    8y

    @Brittany Villamil Thanks for the reply. That is something I would be interested in. Does your mom offer these services? Please DM me so we can connect

  • Raleigh, NC · Member since 2015 · 62 posts · 9 votes
    8y

    @Mike Flora agreed. Please DM me. I would like to discuss. Thanks

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Brittany Villamil:

    Walnar Agenor my mom is licensed or certified through whatever agency approves it (not sure official name, if it’s the government?) she has access to. their SSN and criminal records..if they’ve every filed for bankruptcy etc it’s crazy! Someone comes out and checks up on her and inspects etc. We’ve always managed to find the owner. Maybe it is different than what you’ve been using?

    most likely nexus lexus. Its an Accurant product. i had that when i was a lender.. you need brick and mortar and business purpose.. wholesaler probably can't get it. 

    but I have seen other business s that i did not think could get it get it... its not cheap though.. but it works..

    one of the very best ways though is to simply ask all the neighbors .. 

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    8y

    @Linda Weygantm people that are paranoid about wanting anyone to know what they own tend to use land trusts, LLC , Corps etc.. with registered agent being their attorney.. I have bought a few when I contacted the attorney for the trust and then they pass on the info.

    and or the other reason you cant get people is as described above.. gone missing ,  left society.. forgot they owned it.. inherited it and did not know.. all those things I have dealt with over the decades.. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Richardson, TX · Member since 2014 · 511 posts · 161 votes
    8y

    @Walnar Agenor Your best bet is to find a VA through upwork. Some of VAs have access to TLO. I tried getting access to Lexis Nexis but they wouldn't authorize me the account. A VA should be charging you anywhere from 20-25 cents per record. I wouldn't use a PI unless that you think there's a really good reason the owner might sell.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    @Walnar Agenor Your best bet is to find a VA through upwork. Some of VAs have access to TLO. I tried getting access to Lexis Nexis but they wouldn't authorize me the account. A VA should be charging you anywhere from 20-25 cents per record. I wouldn't use a PI unless that you think there's a really good reason the owner might sell.

    thats my understanding of Lexis Nexis they just cant give out that powerful tool to anyone .... for us we were a legit brick and mortar HML shop.. they send out inspectors check licenses etc etc before they sign you up..

    Most PI's if their business warrants it have the product though that how they find people.

  • Rental Property Investor · Friendswood, TX · Member since 2010 · 663 posts · 508 votes
    8y

    We have TLOXP to locate people .  There are requirements, you have to have legitimate uses for it.  Marketing is not one of them.  I think the charges are about a dollar a record .  I know you can go down in price with volume but i think 20-25cents.. maybe not but could be wrong.  Nexus i think is a similar tool . But you have to meet requirements for it, not anyone can have it.  It really is amazing though all the stuff that is out there.  Very powerful tool.. 

  • Raleigh, NC · Member since 2015 · 62 posts · 9 votes
    8y

    @Jay Hinrichs Thank you for the advice. When you mention 20-25 cents, is this the usual fee per person when using a VA?

  • Raleigh, NC · Member since 2015 · 62 posts · 9 votes
    8y

    @Account Closed Thanks

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.