Property taxes and multifamily entity transfers

Property taxes and multifamily entity transfers

Rental Property Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2018 · 41 posts · 19 votes

Does anyone have experience with entity transfers vs actual sales of multifamily properties in Ohio?   I'm aware of the pros and cons of both, but have heard that entity transfers are common in Ohio.  What I haven't heard are specific outcomes as it affected property tax in the end.  I'm curious if anyone has seen a significant increase in property taxes either way, how their lender evaluated the potential increase, and if their lender was on board with an entity transfer. 

0Reply
40 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Apartment / Investment Broker · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2016 · 107 posts · 68 votes
    8y

    @John L.  In my experience, Entity transfers will deter most municipalities from a reassessment in RE taxes.  However, I am seeing more municipalities / school boards annually review larger properties (>$1mm) titles for any changes and will reassess based on what they dig up.  It all depends on the city / school board and its aggressiveness in Northeast Ohio.  

    I have yet to work with a lender that has successfully made a loan on a member stock sale transaction less than $10mm.  However, I am working on a transaction now that the lender is willing to move forward using this purchasing method.  I will be happy to post the results and if successful, the lender providing the loan. 

  • Attorney · Columbus, OH · Member since 2015 · 95 posts · 60 votes
    8y

    @John L. I have experience dealing with these and the potential ramifications. I’d be happy to chat with you more about this. 

  • New Albany, OH · Member since 2016 · 10 posts · 5 votes
    7y

    I did an entity transfer and have had no issues thus far.  Contact me for further details.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.