Another landlord disclosing what I said in reference about tenant

Another landlord disclosing what I said in reference about tenant

Member since 2017 · 2 posts · 0 votes

I’m in need of some advice from seasoned investors. I’m in Oklahoma and have two rentals. I gave a professional, honest, reference for a past tenant via turbo tenant. The landlord told the tenant what I said and the tenant called me freaking out. Is this legal? I know it’s not ethical but didn’t know if it was legal. Thank you in advance. 

0Reply
14 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Edmond, OK · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
6y

This is why we are seeing a lot of people no longer giving references for tenants. Our "reference" for past tenants are lease dates and rent amount, whether tenant paid rent on time, gave appropriate notice prior to moving out and/or received their security deposit back. Anything else could be considered an opinion and I don't want to be involved in "opinions." 

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Chandler, AZ · Member since 2020 · 295 posts · 272 votes
    6y

    Its possibly in poor taste , but sure its legal.  Take this example: Maybe you said something untrue about the tenant.  Now can they come after you for libel.  Be careful what you post online as there are plenty of platforms where seemingly private posts became public.

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    6y

    @Ramona H.  They could have been verifying what you said.  Stick to the facts-don't all have to be positive, but be honest.  Either tell the former tenant that what you said was confidential and you won't confirm any information or lie and say you didn't give them a reference.

  • Rental Property Investor · Concord, GA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y
    When I get a tenant reference from a previous landlord, I just ask two questions; 1. Was the tenant timely with their rent? 2. Would you rent to them again?
  • Member since 2017 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    Thanks guys! 

  • Rental Property Investor · Edmond, OK · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    This is why we are seeing a lot of people no longer giving references for tenants. Our "reference" for past tenants are lease dates and rent amount, whether tenant paid rent on time, gave appropriate notice prior to moving out and/or received their security deposit back. Anything else could be considered an opinion and I don't want to be involved in "opinions." 

  • Rental Property Investor · Norman, OK · Member since 2018 · 43 posts · 23 votes
    6y

    Great advice everyone, thanks.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.