Which comes first: home equity line of credit or modification?

Which comes first: home equity line of credit or modification?

Member since 2019 · 2 posts · 0 votes

Hi, I am confused and need some advice. I started an application to get a home equity line of credit to consolidate debt. This will help a lot because I have a huge amount of debt and all the individual monthly payments are killing me. Consolidating will bring that payment down some (and make it into one payment) and it will also be a lower interest rate than my current debts. 

The catch is that I also started an application to modify my mortgage while in the process of researching and applying for this HELOC. I have a permanent hardship that has led to the need to modify.

Am I correct in thinking that I need to get the home equity line of credit FIRST, then do the request to modify my mortgage? Is it correct that a HELOC will be near impossible to get if I do the mortgage modification first?

Also, if I go for the HELOC then will I not be able to get the modification on my first mortgage at all (like will that alter something to where I can't get that sometime down the line)? I feel like having both will completely remedy the situation I've found myself in, or at least make it manageable, but I want to make sure that I do this in the correct order so I don't jeopardize getting either of them. Also, if anyone thinks it's a better idea to just do the HELOC (it's fixed rate and the payment will be the same for 20 years) and wait on the modification then I want to know that too.

Some extra info: I am not behind on my first mortgage....YET. I decided to ask about the modification now because with things how they currently are I can see it all headed that way. The HELOC would resolve the extremely high monthly payments I have with other debts though and probably make my first mortgage affordable. However, if anything else catastrophic happened down the line I would absolutely need the option of the modification, so I don't want to do anything to jeopardize my chances in getting a modification. My problem is that I can't figure out if a HELOC would jeopardize that.

I hope this all makes sense. I know it’s a lot of information, but I appreciate any advice. I DON’T want to sell my house because I won’t be able to find another in this area for a reasonable price, and I must stay in this area for medical stuff. I also would prefer to avoid considering bankruptcy since Tennessee doesn’t have a very big homestead exemption. I will definitely lose my house if I file for bankruptcy, so I’m looking for another way to resolve things to where things are affordable. 

0Reply
32 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Ned CareyPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    7y

    @Jennifer Kirila welcome to BP. From getting the loan point of view I think it makes sense to do the loan mod first. From a net cash flow perspective I think the HELOC will help the most. Perhaps you can go to one lender and get both at the same time.

    When it comes to these types of choices the ideal is to run actual numbers on the options available to you.

  • Member since 2019 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    @Ned Carey so let me make sure I'm understanding what you are saying here. I should do the mortgage modification first? I have read that modifications affect credit negatively. Wouldn't that then mean that I would have a harder time getting a good rate on the heloc? 

    Unfortunately I can't get the modification and heloc done through the same place. Or at least, I can't get the fixed rate heloc. I don't feel comfortable doing a variable heloc. 

    The money from a heloc will help resolve the HUGE financial burden I'm currently experiencing by consolidating debt. But I guess what I'm wondering is will doing a second mortgage jeopardize being able to obtain a mortgage modification? Most especially will it jeopardize obtaining a mortgage modification if I apply for the modification very soon after opening the heloc?

  • Ned CareyPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    7y

    @Jennifer Kirila If you do a HELOC the original lender will probably not like that either. That will affect your debt to income ratio. If you can afford and qualify for a HELOC then Why not just refinance the first mortgage for more money?

    I believe most HELOCs are adjustable. It may be tough to find one that is not.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.