acre of land for building small homes

acre of land for building small homes

Pflugerville , TX · Member since 2016 · 10 posts · 5 votes

If I buy an acre of land and I want to put small houses or cottages on it that are lets say 1000 sq feet maybe two bed two bath, how many could I build?  I am just referring to size not zoning the property. 

0Reply
33 views

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Hurst, TX · Member since 2015 · 40 posts · 22 votes
    10y

    It would depend on the shape of the acreage and assuming it is the county and not a city, they may have some say on road type, size, etc...  The largest hurdle will be finding a water and sewer solution for that high density.  I don't know if it is state wide but the counties in and around DFW have limited us to 1 water well per 2 acres and aerobic septic to half acre lots.  If you are close to a co-op water supply that could help, not sure if it is cost effective or not.  If you find a solution to water and sewer for that density let me know.  I've been looking...

  • Pflugerville , TX · Member since 2016 · 10 posts · 5 votes
    10y

    Sure will thanks

  • Broker/Investor · Georgetown, TX · Member since 2011 · 249 posts · 146 votes
    10y

    It depend on where it is done as the regulations vary county by county. I assume you intend to build outside the city limits which will leave you at the mercy of the county's septic regulations. Since you are probably in Williamson County the limit is ONE residence per subdivided acre. If you are lucky enough to have it considered commercial, then you can have as many units as meets the projected flow rate of the septic system installed. 

  • Lender · Dallas, TX · Member since 2015 · 283 posts · 128 votes
    10y

    Are you looking to sell off the homes or rent them out. 

    I have explored this in great detail in Texas and can give you a lot of feedback  on how to do this regardless of min lot size. The biggest issue is in building restrictions with respect to building size.

    PM and I can fill you in.

  • Longview, TX · Member since 2015 · 9 posts · 2 votes
    10y

    @Nicolas 

    @Account Closed I am curious to something similar.  I just purchased a 6.48 acre tract with a single family home in the middle outside of city limits.  The plans are to build 3 new construction homes that will use about 3 acres up including the existing home, have about 3.5 acres left and want to build duplex rentals.  There is co-op water close so that is not a problem but I'm not sure how the aerobic systems would work out.  Is there an equation of how much sprayable land is needed for how many sq ft the duplex would be?  I have enough road frontage to build approx 8 duplexes and that would leave over an acre of "dead" space I was hoping to convert to the sprayable area if needed.  I am in Gregg County, East Texas.  Any suggestions or thoughts?   

  • Broker/Investor · Georgetown, TX · Member since 2011 · 249 posts · 146 votes
    10y

    @Joe Ferguson it all depends on the septic requirements the county has established. Here in Williamson County it is only one living structure per septic system, per 1.0(+) acre, which can be a SFR, duplex, 4-plex or apartment. Just north of us in Bell County the land requirement is half that of Williamson. It is all based on the soil makeup in the area. I presume that counties to the east which have more sand in their soil might have easier restrictions. Take a look here: http://www.co.gregg.tx.us/septic-systems-information or call Paul Root - his # is on that page.

  • Longview, TX · Member since 2015 · 9 posts · 2 votes
    10y

    Thanks @Jarrod Weaver I will give him a call!

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2016 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    Great question, I also have contemplated about buying acreage and setting up cabins or container homes. 

    I could start off with a couple of acres, set up 1-2 cabins to begin with and could start with a fairly small budget considering i just need a few acres etc.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.