Rental property insurance in Dallas, Tx

Rental property insurance in Dallas, Tx

dallas, TX · Member since 2019 · 17 posts · 1 vote

I am looking to get some insurance on my single family rental property and am unsure of what exactly to get and also looking for any good agent recommendations in the local D/FW area. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1Reply
33 views

Most Popular Reply

Ronald RohdePro Member
Attorney · Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
6y

I recommend John Lee, in Richardson. Does a lot of rentals and they have great customer service.

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Topeka, KS · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    I get the same dwelling insurance for my rental as I do for my personal home.  I just don't ensure for replacement cost like I do for my personal residence.  I ensure for about what I paid for the property, so if I purchased for 40k and put 10k into it I would ensure for 50k. 

  • DFW, TX · Member since 2018 · 41 posts · 20 votes
    6y

    I personally just called the same insurance company that does my homeowners policy, and said that I needed a landlord policy. They provided me with dwelling coverage, and then asked if I wanted to also cover any bigger ticket items that I had in the property (clothes washer and dryer in my case). The landlord policy was a little more expensive than my homeowners policy.

  • dallas, TX · Member since 2019 · 17 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    Thank you Jacob for the information you provided.

    Thank you Amy. I will give them a shout and see what they offer.

  • Kansas City, MO · Member since 2015 · 42 posts · 20 votes
    6y
    You would need property coverage which covers direct physical damage to the property, like fire, wind/hail, vandalism, theft and so on. Special Form coverage is always the most comprehensive, but comes with specific exclusions. Just make yourself familiar with them. I recommend adding sewer and drain back up. Loss of rents is fairly inexpensive so I would add that too. If you have any detached structures on the property, like a detached garage or a shed, make sure you have Other/Additional Structure coverage.

    In regards to liability coverage, investors typically choose $1MM per occurrence limit for their general liability. I would ask if there are any breed exclusions when it comes to the general liability policy, if you allow pets on the property. Let me know if you have any questions. I'm happy to help.
  • Sam BrustPro Member
    Insurance · Garden Grove, CA · Member since 2020 · 36 posts · 10 votes
    6y

    @Rolando Frias best option is to find an insurance agent that specializes in rental property insurance. They will be able to guide you on the best coverage options needed, as well as shop different insurance carriers to find the best policy to fit your budget and needs.

    Feel free to message me for any related questions.

  • dallas, TX · Member since 2019 · 17 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    @Account Closed thank you for the great information and also the vote. I will start looking into agents who specialize in rental properties.

  • Ronald RohdePro Member
    Attorney · Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    I recommend John Lee, in Richardson. Does a lot of rentals and they have great customer service.

  • Andy WebbPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Carrollton, TX · Member since 2013 · 750 posts · 538 votes
    6y

    Ideally find a broker that is familiar with landlords and their needs and that shops multiple insurance companies.  As opposed to a captive agent (e.g. that only works with one agency, such as Farmers...).

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.