Buying an owner occupied duplex with tenants in Washington?

Buying an owner occupied duplex with tenants in Washington?

Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2019 · 23 posts · 11 votes

I just bought a duplex in Puyallup that I will be moving into. Both tenants are month to month and one side hasn't paid rent in two months (this is the unit I plan to vacate and occupy). The property is closing this Monday the 20th, how do I go about vacating the non paying tenants so I can move in? Do I need to give them 20 or 30 days notice in Washington? Can I send the letter to vacate the day of closing or do I have to wait to give notice to January 1st? Thank you.

1Reply
15 views

Most Popular Reply

Architect · Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2018 · 843 posts · 907 votes
4y

Congrats on the purchase. You should've made the previous owner do the evictions....if not i hope you got a hell of a deal for your trouble. 

You need to file eviction papers/notices immediately. Get a lawyer involved yesterday. State laws are changing, I think Jan 1, that make it even more difficult to get month to month tenants out. If i remember correctly there is a 3 month window to that allows you to change all month to month contracts into 6 or 12 month contracts. WA has effectively eliminated the month to month rental agreements now. Even remove the option that a 12m lease will auto renew into a month to month. Basically never do any kind of month to month ever again unless you can justify the risk. The new law makes to eviction process quadruple the time frame now. Its horrible. 

Get with a lawyer before christmas if you can. 

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Contractor · Nashville, TN · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    You should be able to send notice today if the owner doesn't mind you contacting tenants.

    but the laws vary by state and county. In my area there is the Landlord and Tenant Act and that spells out all the requirements. You can find yours and read through it or just hire an attorney. Unless you plan to build up a property mgmt company it really makes no sense to waste your time reading all that. You'd be better off spending less time Flipping couches on Craigslist or something to pay the attorney.

  • Architect · Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2018 · 843 posts · 907 votes
    4y

    Congrats on the purchase. You should've made the previous owner do the evictions....if not i hope you got a hell of a deal for your trouble. 

    You need to file eviction papers/notices immediately. Get a lawyer involved yesterday. State laws are changing, I think Jan 1, that make it even more difficult to get month to month tenants out. If i remember correctly there is a 3 month window to that allows you to change all month to month contracts into 6 or 12 month contracts. WA has effectively eliminated the month to month rental agreements now. Even remove the option that a 12m lease will auto renew into a month to month. Basically never do any kind of month to month ever again unless you can justify the risk. The new law makes to eviction process quadruple the time frame now. Its horrible. 

    Get with a lawyer before christmas if you can. 

  • Realtor · WA · Member since 2020 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    4y

    Yes, I agree with Nik, reach out to a lawyer and get your facts straight before doing anything else! Laws are changing quickly here in Wa! Sadly, not in favor of investors :/

  • Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2019 · 23 posts · 11 votes
    4y

    Thanks for your replies! I'm going to go ahead and hire a lawyer ASAP to make sure this is taken care of properly

  • Realtor · Bellevue, WA · Member since 2019 · 882 posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    @Kirsten Crotts, visit the RHAWA Covid page to know what you can and can not do for non-paying tenants

    https://www.rhawa.org/covid-19

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.