Good numbers, great house, bad neighborhood

Good numbers, great house, bad neighborhood

Darren MesibovPro Member
Member since 2017 · 38 posts · 7 votes

I'm an out of town investor under contract on a house for $110k.  The house is in good shape and is occupied by a tenant who pays just over $1,000/mo.  The block it's on is ok.  Maybe it's a C or C-. I drove to see it last night. The problem is that It's off Patton, south of Drake and is flanked on two sides by the military base so there's only one way in and out, which is through a terrible looking neighborhood. It's not the worst I've seen, but I certainly wouldn't walk around there at night. This block is a small C island on a dead end street in a sea of D+ housing. I haven't done well in the past with great spreadsheet numbers in bad neighborhoods. My property manager thinks this is ok, but I'm concerned about long term value, higher turnover costs and lower quality tenants as compared to a nicer neighborhood. I don't need a beautiful spreadsheet with numbers that I can't hit. My partner, who is very smart but less experienced than I am is not concerned.  Any thoughts would be appreciated. 

0Reply
15 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Huntsville, AL · Member since 2015 · 181 posts · 136 votes
    5y

    When did the tenant sign the lease?  Weren't they at 840 on this house as of like...a month ago?

  • Darren MesibovPro Member
    OP
    Member since 2017 · 38 posts · 7 votes
    5y

    Lease was signed 6/29 and move led in 9/1. I don’t doubt that rent is at least $50 above market where it currently sits.

  • Rental Property Investor · Huntsville, AL · Member since 2015 · 181 posts · 136 votes
    5y

    PM me.  This is the Gazette, property, isn't it?  We walked it and met the tenants, and the old listing had them paying 840 in rent.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.