Seeking Advice on Pursuing a Career in Home Loans

Seeking Advice on Pursuing a Career in Home Loans

Member since 2020 · 1 post · 0 votes

I'm seeking advice on pursuing a career relating to home loans. The titles of job positions in this area that appeal to me are: processor, auditor, underwriter, closing coordinator, closing facilitator, credit analyst, compliance specialist and operations assistant. Of course, what I would be trying for would be an entry level, assistant-type position. I would like to work on the back end, if that's the right term. I do not want to be a loan/mortgage officer/adviser/consultant or assistant to such, doing marketing and selling.

I worked for the last 15-plus years as a real estate assistant and office manager. My husband, who is older (I am in my late 40s), retired last year and closed the brokerage. In the course of my work in real estate, I learned a lot about home loans but I did not obtain a real estate license or any kind of certification for doing loans. I do not have a college degree. I attended high school in postwar Vietnam but the school, for ethnic Chinese, was not officially recognized by the Vietnamese government.

I am fluent in Chinese (the two major dialects, Cantonese and Mandarin) and Vietnamese. My English is not as good but I am able to communicate and read documents well. Here in San Jose there are of course large populations of people whose first languages are Chinese and Vietnamese and who are active in the real estate market. I was thinking that my language skills might be desirable. Ideally, I would like a career that involves at least a large component of remote work (working from home). I do not want to be involved in front-line sales (for example, fielding calls from people who are shopping for loans).

I believe I have many skills and personal qualities that are important to work in this area: I am detail-oriented, conscientious, patient and good with numbers, as well as able to carefully read documents and catch errors. I am skilled with Excel and able to quickly learn new programs and platforms. As mentioned, I have a background in real estate that gives me at least a basic understanding and appreciation of the home loan process (and various related considerations, including consumer credit).

The specific questions I have at this time are these:

1. What is the best way of exploring the different paths in this area (processor, auditor, underwriter, etc.)—and could I begin as an assistant of some sort and work my way up from processor to underwriter (if that would be a good objective)?

2. What sort of training program(s) would be most advantageous—and do such programs offer job placement?

3. Would my lack of educational credentials be an obstacle—and are there opportunities for working remotely in this area? In other words, is my desired goal realistic?

Any guidance would be most appreciated. Many thanks!

0Reply
21 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Gina RiccitelliPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 14 posts · 5 votes
    6y

    You understand your strengths and have some clarity on what fits your professional goals and needs, great start! 

    My thoughts: First, with your history, you must have some lenders or loan officers that you worked with in the past. Can you reach out to them and ask them what and who they know who could give you 15 minutes to ask a few questions about their business? (do not ask for a job!) (Google: 'informational interview.')  Speak with at least 3 financial contacts that you know.  Or, try your local bank, during a slow time, simply ask the loan officer for no more than 10 minutes to ask a few questions. (This will require interacting with people! ;-)  In my experience, people are generally glad to give you a few minutes and let you interview them!  In person, or by phone. Just respect the time commitment.

    Second, what you want to do is reverse-engineer careers of those who are doing what you want to do. To do that, use LinkedIn. Search profiles of underwriters, for example, to see their career path, research the companies they worked for, the qualifications, technical jargon and skills mentioned. You may find a job title that closely aligns with your current skills, and sets you up for the career path you desire and will grow into.

    Third, search job postings for clues as to the skills you would need to understand.

    For example, below is a job posting found on LinkedIn. Highlight the skills you have, and don't have. Search profiles based on these skills to see if there is a place you, too, can start. For example, search other's profiles with: "A" paper, Calyx Point, LAPP, or Stearns, Ginnie Mae. Every unique word or phrase can lead you to a possibility.

    As an Underwriter you will be responsible for managing and monitoring the daily workflow of your files and be an expert on agency loan guidelines and Stearns Lending, LLC internal underwriting procedures. Underwriter must make sound decisions on loans regarding credit worthiness of borrowers while working closely with Retail MLO's, [TH2] and operations staff.

    Job Responsibilities: As an Underwriter you will be responsible for managing and monitoring daily workflow of your files and be an expert on agency loan guidelines and Stearns internal underwriting procedures.( <<hint! search unusual combinations of terms)

    Underwriter must make sound decisions on loans regarding the creditworthiness of borrowers while working closely with Retail MLO, and operations staff.

    Desired Skills, Experience, Or Education

    Our ideal candidate will possess; Minimum of 4 years’ current conventional and government underwriting experience in a wholesale or retail environment

    DE / SARS / LAPP designation preferred

    Current knowledge of RESPA and MDIA regulations

    Strong knowledge in “A” Paper, FNMA/FHLM; FHA/VA programs beneficial

    Proficiency with MS Excel, MS Word, Desktop Underwriter, Loan Prospector, and Calyx Point.

    2 years AUS experience.

    Working knowledge of “Empower” is a plus

    Demonstrate high volume productivity.

    Must be detail oriented, organized and work efficiently under pressure.

    Excellent written and oral communication skills.

    Strong organizational and analytical skills.

    Demonstrate an OUTSTANDING level of customer service skills.

    Work independently and be “self-motivated”.

    Stearns Lending is an equal housing lender and is licensed to conduct business in 49 states and the District of Columbia. Additionally, Stearns Lending is an approved HUD (United States Department of Housing and Urban Development) lender; a Single Family Issuer for Ginnie Mae (Government National Mortgage Association); an approved Seller/Servicer for Fannie Mae (Federal National Mortgage Association); and an approved Seller/Servicer for Freddie Mac (Federal Home Loan Mortgage Corporation). Stearns Lending is also approved as a VA (United States Department of Veterans Affairs) lender, a USDA (United States Department of Agriculture) lender, and is an approved lending institution with FHA (Federal Housing Administration).

    Stay committed to your vision, grounded in your strengths, and you will find your opportunity!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.