Elk Grove vs Folsom?

Elk Grove vs Folsom?

Fremont, CA · Member since 2020 · 22 posts · 3 votes

Hi BP,

I joined recently and this place is so helpful. I’m a newbie to real estate investing and currently living in Fremont,CA. Because of COVID, I’m working from home for the past year, and most possibly I would be doing the same this year as well. My intention is to move to the new house and stay there until COVID ends while renting out Fremont property, and return back to Fremont property by renting out the new property. So I decided to look out the outskirts of the Bay Area and started exploring Tracy, Brentwood, etc. Recently I came to know Elk Grove and visited a few weeks back and felt that it has good proximity to commuting to the Bay Area because of ACE expansion and future High-speed rail project. Eventually, I started exploring Folsom because of the school district and visited the Folsom ranch and neighborhood. Even though I liked Folsom, price and distance (to Bay Area) are pulling me back.

Can you pls advise which location to choose considering renting proximity and commute (1-2 times/week) to BA?

0Reply
238 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · El Dorado Hills, CA · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
5y
Originally posted by @Rahul Samskruthyayan:

Is Folsom considered as a place for having a stopover for Lake Tahoe ?

 Yes,   Folsom and El Dorado Hills are common stops on the way to Tahoe.  I am biased as I live in the area but Folsom is much nicer than Elk Grove.  Both have nice older downtowns and newer tract homes but the schools and food options in Folsom are better along with access to Folsom Lake and The American River bike trail.  Crime is much lower.   Elk Grove connects to South Sac and some of the crime spills over.  It is not dangerous by any means but there is significantly more action there than in Folsom.  Folsom was the 8th safest city in California out of 228 cities ranked in 2019.  

See this reply in the discussion

34 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Folsom, CA · Member since 2016 · 140 posts · 70 votes
    5y

    Right. Folsom had a few major employers, but residents work all over the Sacramento region. There’s some tech, but plenty of other things like medicine and government. 

  • Ben HowardPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · El Dorado Hills, CA · Member since 2017 · 160 posts · 67 votes
    5y

    @Rahul Samskruthyayan As someone who moved to Folsom from Sacramento (Arden Park) in 1989 and to El Dorado Hills in 2014, I’ve been following this thread and it’s fascinating to read everyone’s opinions.

    Every Monday morning I pull the past seven days Folsom single family housing data and the same for El Dorado Hills. An example from this past Monday, February 8th:

    Folsom

    18 new Active listings

    13 new Pending listings - 11 had multiple offers

    8 new Sold listings

    31 total Active listings - 6 more than the previous Monday

    El Dorado Hills

    22 new Active listings

    20 new Pending listings - 13 had multiple offers

    7 new Sold listings

    65 total Active listings - 3 more than the previous Monday

    For reference, these numbers are less than half the inventory that there was weekly in Q3 of 2020

    When people discuss Folsom, El Dorado Hills, and Elk Grove I like to bring in census data so that the discussion can move from largely subjective to objective. Also worth mentioning is that both Folsom and Elk Grove are cities vs El Dorado Hills which is just an unincorporated area of El Dorado County. In fact El Dorado County only has two cities, Placerville and South Lake Tahoe.

    Folsom:

    https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/folsomcitycalifornia

    El Dorado Hills:

    https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/eldoradohillscdpcalifornia

    Elk Grove:

    https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/elkgrovecitycalifornia

    2019 Estimated Population:

    Elk Grove 174,775

    Folsom 81,328

    2010 Census El Dorado Hills 42,108

    Median Household Income:

    El Dorado Hills $137,726

    Folsom $114,405

    Elk Grove $93,780

    Education- Bachelor’s Degree of Higher Percent of Persons age 25+

    El Dorado Hills 55.1%

    Folsom 51.2%

    Elk Grove 36.9%

    Then there’s WalletHub 2018 rankings:

    Folsom #1 best place to raise a family in California

    El Dorado Hills #4 best place to raise a family in California

    Folsom #1 most affordable housing in California

    El Dorado Hills #2 most affordable housing in California

    El Dorado Hills #1 highest family income (adjusted for cost of living) in California

    Folsom #2 highest median family income (adjusted for cost of living) in California

  • Fremont, CA · Member since 2020 · 22 posts · 3 votes
    5y

    thanks a lot @Ben Howard for your data-backed info.

  • Investor · El Dorado Hills, CA · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    Correct.   You have a prison that employs 2700 mostly 6 figure employees,  Kaiser and Dignity Hospitals, Cal ISO, Verizon,  Safe Credit Union corporate HQ, etc     

  • Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2018 · 313 posts · 230 votes
    5y

    @Ben Howard - Got to this thread late but, as I read through it, I was wondering when a realtor was going to log some serious data into this debate.  The data tells a compelling story.  Thanks.

  • Member since 2021 · 1 post · 0 votes
    5y

    I am investing a couple new homes in EG, and I am also buying a new home in rancho covorda which has decent schools but seems far away... 

  • Santa Clara, CA · Member since 2018 · 44 posts · 7 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Michael Na:

    I am investing a couple new homes in EG, and I am also buying a new home in rancho covorda which has decent schools but seems far away... 

    Thanks Michael.

    Any inputs/leads on how easy/tough it is, to rent a property in new construction areas in Rancho Cordova?

    - South of Douglas, (between Sunrise Blvd and Grant Line Rd).

  • Member since 2020 · 7 posts · 0 votes
    5y

    @Michael Na - which new property in EG and RC are you exploring. can you share the builders name ? 

  • Property Manager · Bay Area-Greater Sacramento · Member since 2021 · 94 posts · 51 votes
    5y

    @Rahul Samskruthyayan Our Elk Grove rentals are flying off the market at high rental rates! Reach out if you’d like to discuss market values in the area.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.