Looking for property mgmt recs in Anaheim/Orange County

Looking for property mgmt recs in Anaheim/Orange County

Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles · Member since 2019 · 6 posts · 3 votes

Hi BP Fam!

I found a deal in Anaheim on a quadplex that I'm very interested in. Even though I live pretty close in Los Angeles, I don't have much of a RE network in Orange County. 

Does any one have any property manager recommendations? I'm looking for property managers that service the Anaheim/Garden Grove area. Property manager will also have to be fluent in Spanish as most of the tenants only speak Spanish. The property itself is located in a great area (right next to Disneyland, across the street from a school, etc.) but a bit older in stature, around a C/C+.

Thanks in advance! 

0Reply
47 views

Most Popular Reply

Steve RozenbergPro Member
Specialist · Houston, TX · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
7y

@Brian Leung

I would look up NARPM and start with them..Below are some questions I would think would be a good starting point for you to see who really treats their company like a business or a hobby.

My business partner is a regional VP for NARPM and I am happy to help if you need anything please reach out

Questions to Ask prospective management companies

* What are your average days on market for vacant homes?

* What is your average rent amount for all properties managed?

* What is your average work order cost for the owner?

* What is your average make ready cost for the owner?

* Are all my invoices uploaded to my owner portal?

* How do you advertise your vacant units?

* Do I receive video of my pre and post make ready?

* Do you have a setup fee?

* Do you upcharge on maintenance?

* When do you make owner payments? How often?

* Are you a Certified Property Manager?

* Are you a member of NARPM?

* What is your Guarantee?

* Do you provide move in and move out reports

* How many pictures do you take of the property prior to tenant moves in and after the tenant moves out

* Do you get weekly reports when the property is vacant what prospective tenants are saying about your home

* Do you provide monthly newsletters to your tenants

* Do you hold investor education classes to help me become a better investor

* Do you have single point portfolio based management services?

* How many properties do the owners actually own themselves?

* What do you do to ensure that the tenant is responsible for security deposit disputes since that is the largest reason for owner lawsuits

* How familiar are you with the newly changed laws that can affect you the owner if they are not used correctly?

.

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles · Member since 2019 · 6 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    Hi BP Fam! I want to update everyone on my progress in case someone else has the same question as me / wants to learn from my experience.

    Update 5/22

    I did some online research (google/yelp/etc.) and reached out to a couple property mgmt companies. Immediately, within 24 hours, multiple companies reached back out to me. 

    I want to give a shout out to Vantage Realty, Optum Real Estate Management, and Primior Management for getting back to me and setting up a follow-up call with urgency. All 3 companies service the OC area and have experience managing Spanish speaking tenants.

    I talked to each company and explained my property management needs in detail and now I'm waiting for quotes / pricing options.

  • Member since 2019 · 1 post · 0 votes
    7y

    Hi Brian saw your post a few days ago and think there is a way I can help you out where we can both add value to each others. To give you a little background about myself, I live and work here in the Anaheim, CA area have previous property management experience servicing a 30+ unit complex with my parents. I believe I can be able to service your needs with a more competitive rate and help secure a better rate on your ROI, if you would like we could chat, go over your needs and see if I can add value to your situation and hopefully save you some money compared to what you will be paying a property management company.

  • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles · Member since 2019 · 6 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    @Omar Garcia - thanks for reaching out. I would love to learn more about your services but let's take it offline to direct messages.

  • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles · Member since 2019 · 6 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    Update 5/28

    After a week of talking to different OC property management companies, here are the rates for full service property management that I've received. I'm looking for any feedback / comments. Please let me know if these seem high/too good to be true/etc. Thanks!

    Company 1 - 5.8% of monthly rent

    Company 2 - 6.9% of monthly rent

    Company 3 - 8% of monthly rent

    Company 4 - Monthly fee of $200 + $1,250 fee to secure a new tenant

  • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2015 · 62 posts · 33 votes
    7y

    @Brian Leung

    For a fourplex in LA/OC - you should in the 6.5-8% of monthly rent range.

    As a next step, I would suggest asking these companies for referrals to existing clients. Additionally, I would suggest asking to speak with the person that will be your daily contact.

    Finally, company 4 is interesting given you don't see a ton of property management companies offering flat rates but at the same time they aren't incentivized to get higher rental rates due to the flat rate.

    In the end, I would go with who you feel the most comfortable with.

  • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles · Member since 2019 · 6 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    @Wiley Strahan - thanks for the advice! 

    I totally agree with you re: company 4 and flat rates. I'm looking to build a relationship with a property mgmt company that has the same goals of increasing cash flow. A flat rate just seems a bit counter-intuitive to that.

  • Steve RozenbergPro Member
    Specialist · Houston, TX · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Brian Leung

    I would look up NARPM and start with them..Below are some questions I would think would be a good starting point for you to see who really treats their company like a business or a hobby.

    My business partner is a regional VP for NARPM and I am happy to help if you need anything please reach out

    Questions to Ask prospective management companies

    * What are your average days on market for vacant homes?

    * What is your average rent amount for all properties managed?

    * What is your average work order cost for the owner?

    * What is your average make ready cost for the owner?

    * Are all my invoices uploaded to my owner portal?

    * How do you advertise your vacant units?

    * Do I receive video of my pre and post make ready?

    * Do you have a setup fee?

    * Do you upcharge on maintenance?

    * When do you make owner payments? How often?

    * Are you a Certified Property Manager?

    * Are you a member of NARPM?

    * What is your Guarantee?

    * Do you provide move in and move out reports

    * How many pictures do you take of the property prior to tenant moves in and after the tenant moves out

    * Do you get weekly reports when the property is vacant what prospective tenants are saying about your home

    * Do you provide monthly newsletters to your tenants

    * Do you hold investor education classes to help me become a better investor

    * Do you have single point portfolio based management services?

    * How many properties do the owners actually own themselves?

    * What do you do to ensure that the tenant is responsible for security deposit disputes since that is the largest reason for owner lawsuits

    * How familiar are you with the newly changed laws that can affect you the owner if they are not used correctly?

    .

  • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles · Member since 2019 · 6 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    @Steve Rozenberg - thanks for the gold mine of question! I'll definitely ask these questions to the companies I'm interviewing!

  • Alice ParkPro Member
    Member since 2020 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    5y

    @brian leung

    Hi Brian, I am also looking for a property manager in Anaheim and was wondering if you have found someone that you recommend.

    Thank you!

  • Alice ParkPro Member
    Member since 2020 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    5y

    @brian leung

    Hi Brian, I am also looking for a property manager in Anaheim and was wondering if you have found someone that you recommend.

    Thank you!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.