Best Place to Bank in Chicago Burbs?

Best Place to Bank in Chicago Burbs?

Real Estate Agent · Chicagoland · Member since 2018 · 314 posts · 199 votes

I'm looking to change banks. Does someone have recommendations for good options in the Chicago area, especially in the burbs? I would like to avoid a big chain like Wells Fargo and use something like a credit union. Switching from Marquette. Maybe you hate your bank, I wouldn't mind knowing that too. Thanks to any responses.

1Reply
29 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
4y

Schwab and Fidelity tend to be the best. Fidelity has a no annual fee 2% cash back credit card and their atm card refunds all atm fees even when your out of the country using any banks atms, I save hundreds a year between their ATM refunds and the 2% back on every dollar I charge to a credit card. Sometimes big banks are the best. For financing real estate I have never seen a lender care where you bank, they just want to see proof of funds regardless what bank big or small holds it. 

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2020 · 49 posts · 27 votes
    4y

    Just curious, why switch from Marquette Bank? I just joined this bank recently. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y

    Schwab and Fidelity tend to be the best. Fidelity has a no annual fee 2% cash back credit card and their atm card refunds all atm fees even when your out of the country using any banks atms, I save hundreds a year between their ATM refunds and the 2% back on every dollar I charge to a credit card. Sometimes big banks are the best. For financing real estate I have never seen a lender care where you bank, they just want to see proof of funds regardless what bank big or small holds it. 

  • Jonathan KlemmBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Contractor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y

    @Forrest Williams - I have a couple of great banks that I would recommend.  We do our business banking with Old Second National Bank.  

    We selected them because there are a mid-sized regional bank I believe around 3-4 Billion.  Also, I have good connections at Waterman State Bank, First Eagle, and Wintrust (which is a a bigger bank).

    What are you looking for and why are you switching?  Does the bank need to be in a specific suburb or Chicago?

  • Real Estate Agent · Chicagoland · Member since 2018 · 314 posts · 199 votes
    4y

    I was looking at Old Second National Bank, they seemed good. I've heard good things about Schwab too. I just want a bank that's near where I live (Bolingbrook).

    Marquette lost a wire transfer worth several thousand dollars. While I was there one of the staff bankers was rude and started explaining to me how a credit card worked rather than answering my questions. He couldn't pull up my account info when I asked him to. Their mobile app can't cash the rent checks I get from CEDA. They eliminated a rewards program I liked. When I look for mortgage quotes theirs never measure up. I used to like them but they've really gone downhill. Mostly it's losing the wire transfer that sunk them for me. I'm sure it'll work out, but right now it's been a serious pain for something so simple.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.