How To Find A General Contractor

How To Find A General Contractor

Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2016 · 316 posts · 130 votes

My group is in contract on a 12 family multi that will require a gut rehab.  How do you track down a GC that can provide a statement of  scope of work needed for the bank and how to present that need to the GC.  What would be the general cost for something like that.  Thanks for your support.

0Reply
14 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · 3412 S. Harlem Avenue Riverside, IL 60546 · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
8y

@Calvin Lipscomb touch base with @Ronan M.. He works that area and owns buildings there. 

I have personally never hired a GC for apartment renovations. You would probably not need an architect if you are just swapping cabinets, tile, floors, etc. I am not sure what the scope of your project is though. I would not personally pay a fee for an estimate. Try to get GC's from referrals so you know they do this type of work. Not all GC's want to do this type of stuff. 

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · 3412 S. Harlem Avenue Riverside, IL 60546 · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    8y

    @Calvin Lipscomb what area of Chicago is the property located in? Most GC's don't like to travel too far due to how large the Chicago market is. 

  • Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2016 · 316 posts · 130 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @John Warren:

    @Calvin Lipscomb what area of Chicago is the property located in? Most GC's don't like to travel too far due to how large the Chicago market is. 

     South Shore area.  Thanks for that fact I have to keep that in mind.  My first project like this.  What should I expect if I am looking for quotes for this job.  Are the renovation quotes free or should I expect to pay a fee?  Should I have architect as part of the team?  Any feedback would be helpful.

  • Real Estate Broker · 3412 S. Harlem Avenue Riverside, IL 60546 · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    8y

    @Calvin Lipscomb touch base with @Ronan M.. He works that area and owns buildings there. 

    I have personally never hired a GC for apartment renovations. You would probably not need an architect if you are just swapping cabinets, tile, floors, etc. I am not sure what the scope of your project is though. I would not personally pay a fee for an estimate. Try to get GC's from referrals so you know they do this type of work. Not all GC's want to do this type of stuff. 

  • Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2016 · 316 posts · 130 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @John Warren:

    @Calvin Lipscomb touch base with @Ronan M.. He works that area and owns buildings there. 

    I have personally never hired a GC for apartment renovations. You would probably not need an architect if you are just swapping cabinets, tile, floors, etc. I am not sure what the scope of your project is though. I would not personally pay a fee for an estimate. Try to get GC's from referrals so you know they do this type of work. Not all GC's want to do this type of stuff. 

     Thank you.

  • Chicago · Member since 2018 · 214 posts · 165 votes
    8y

    Like the others, you want to find good contractors in all the trades and GC it yourself. This is assuming you don't need extensive stuff, plans, architectural drawings, etc.

  • Contractor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2018 · 59 posts · 12 votes
    8y

    Calvin - interested bidding out on this project pm me more info. Thx rob 

  • Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2016 · 316 posts · 130 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @John Warren:

    @Calvin Lipscomb touch base with @Ronan M.. He works that area and owns buildings there. 

    I have personally never hired a GC for apartment renovations. You would probably not need an architect if you are just swapping cabinets, tile, floors, etc. I am not sure what the scope of your project is though. I would not personally pay a fee for an estimate. Try to get GC's from referrals so you know they do this type of work. Not all GC's want to do this type of stuff. 

     It is going to be rather extensive.  There is led paint that has to be removed and the entire plumbing will have to be replaced.  I have an architect providing designs and suggestions.  This will be the first project for my group and myself so the whole process is a bit challenging but, rewarding in the long term.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.