BRRRRR.. 100% cash back, 35% equity, $400 net monthly w/ pics

BRRRRR.. 100% cash back, 35% equity, $400 net monthly w/ pics

Rental Property Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 318 posts · 307 votes

Wanted to share a recent deal we did. So much disrespect thrown out towards Chicago and specifically the South Side of the city, I hope the numbers will change a few minds.

In the words of a local developer I highly respect Leon Walker "the difference between Gentrification and Venture Development is INTENT” http://www.dl3realty.com/venturedevelopment

If you are not in the City, you may not know there is a tremendous resurgence happening on the South Side of Chicago.

As a native of Brooklyn, if you would have told me my neighborhood as a child in the 80s (Bushwick, Brooklyn, NY) would have turned into Million Dollar homes a on every block I would have laughed at you. Fast forward to today, tear downs on my block start at $1MM. This is why I choose buy and hold as my preferred investment style!

So, a few years ago, I notice similar trends in Chicago. New constructions, extensive remodels, additions, and larger developments popping up. I made it my goal to get involved and not let Brooklyn happen all over again. 

Now I am not saying this will be a Million property or Chicago will see such appreciation!!

However, my point is there are great purchase vs. rent ratios in the area. If you are willing to rehab, the numbers are even better. Also, the closer you are to downtown Chicago, I find the tenant pool to be of a higher standard and less violent crime. Properties of similar quality North of the city will sale for easily 2-3x the price.

The Deal:

Purchased 02/13/19 off the MLS... yes, no deals are there, please don't look now :-)

Rehabbed took 33 days. Holding Cost includes $600 Appraisal fee, Utilities $175, HOA Fee $75, Interest on Credit Cards $415. I did the entire rehab on credit cards 😊

Refi-Loan: 30yr, fixed at 7.85%, commercial note, at 65% ARV (this is a non-warrantable condo, hence the high rate)

Rented in 6 days at $1280, tenant pays all utilities including water. $400 move-in fee. Not section 8 (nothing wrong with section 8 renters, I just don’t do it myself)

My Lender does cash out refi 60 days from purchase date. I self-manage as well. Now its rented and I have no money left in the deal.... Pics and numbers below!!

Purchase/Rehab
Purchase $23,645
Rehab $33,000
Holding Cost $1,340
Investment $57,985
ARV $95,000
65% Cashout-Refi $61,750
After Expenses $3,765
Rental Monthly
Rent $1,280
Taxes $108
Insurance $111
HOA Fee $75
Vacancy $64
Maintance $64
Gross $858
Mortgage $447
Net $411 
25Reply
75 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
7y

Congrats man! Glad the brrr worked out!!

See this reply in the discussion

28 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    Congrats man! Glad the brrr worked out!!

  • Real Estate Agent · Merritt Island, FL · Member since 2017 · 974 posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Ibn Abney - nice work!!

  • Real Estate Investor · Palm Beach County, FL · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    That's a grand slam deal congrats! Now it's time for the last "R", REPEAT!

  • Member since 2016 · 1 post · 1 vote
    7y

    Congrats nice work

  • Rental Property Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2016 · 34 posts · 14 votes
    7y

    Congratulations @Ibn Abney you did an amazing job.  

  • Rental Property Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 26 posts · 15 votes
    7y

    Great work!!!!

  • Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2018 · 33 posts · 25 votes
    7y

    @Ibn Abney 

    Great Job!!  

  • Addison, IL · Member since 2018 · 72 posts · 24 votes
    7y

    @Ibn Abney Sound like you hit the jackpot. It's great to know that BRRRR's are still possible in the Chicago market. I was getting a bit discouraged. Thanks for sharing.

  • Seabrook/Galveston · Member since 2018 · 274 posts · 178 votes
    7y

    @Ibn Abney

    Looks good. The HOA is really that low? Most around here I've seen are 300-500 a month for similar ARV properties.

    What does your HOA fee cover as far as insurance and maintenance go?

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2018 · 483 posts · 956 votes
    7y

    Congratulations! I'm still finding deals on MLS. You just have to be patient and ready to move fast.

  • Scott WolfPro Member
    Lender · Boca Raton, FL · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 957 votes
    7y

    @Ibn Abney Wow, looks great! My first deal was off the MLS as well, and is doing great (not nearly as well as this one).

    Seems like a high rate though in today's market.  Did you shop use a mortgage broker or go directly to a bank?  And if you went directly to a bank, did you get multiple offers?

  • Member since 2018 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    @Ibn Abney this is awesome. I’ve been looking at similar deals but have yet to jump on one. Any chance you could give a basic breakdown of what went into the rehab costs? I see you redid the siding and I assume at least a little bit of work went into that kitchen. Wondering how you stretched that $33k to work for you. Thanks and congrats!

  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    Impressive 33 day rehab for such extensive work. Looks great.

  • Stephanie P.Pro Member
    Washington, DC Mortgage Lender/Broker · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Scott Wolf:

    @Ibn Abney Wow, looks great! My first deal was off the MLS as well, and is doing great (not nearly as well as this one).

    Seems like a high rate though in today's market.  Did you shop use a mortgage broker or go directly to a bank?  And if you went directly to a bank, did you get multiple offers?

     @scott wolf. I would bet it's a rate for a cash out, non-warrantable condo with no income verification.  Nice job @ibn abney

  • Investor · Downers Grove, IL · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 955 votes
    7y

    @Ibn Abney 

    nice job! Win win win

    You've locked down a nice investment, with an infinite return on investment.

    Your tenants have a nice place to live in.

    The neighbors and HOA should appreciate the work you've done.

  • Real Estate Agent · Los Gatos, CA · Member since 2016 · 88 posts · 39 votes
    7y

    Congrats on the great deal! Rehab looks great.

  • Rental Property Investor · Corpus Christi, TX · Member since 2017 · 36 posts · 20 votes
    7y

    Thats an awesome brrr

    Now too repeat again and again props!

  • Rental Property Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 318 posts · 307 votes
    7y

    @Scott Wolf

    @Scott Wolf per @Stephanie P. Rate is high due to no seasoning and non-warrant-able HOA.

    Best rate I found was 7.25% but with a lender I was unsure of,

    @Max T. thanks Max!! the key is to use your time under contract to source materials and contractors. We closed on 2/13 and started work 2/14. Looks bad but was mostly cosmetic. Plumbing, electric, and structure was in great shape. Fire damage sacred folks away

    @Dave Sonnenberg I do my budgets by room, not by materials so dont have a full breakdown, but I can tell you materials was only $12K. Of which, I got 3% back using my chase credit card... :-)

    On the repeat phase now. Also, I forgot to add $1500 for the lender Refi fee!!!!! 

  • RI · Member since 2018 · 48 posts · 13 votes
    7y

    How on earth did you rehab that for only 33k???

    Great job btw.

  • Jeremiah AbiadePro Member
    Chicago and surrounding suburbs · Member since 2018 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    Nice! I live in Bronzeville, so I see the possibilities on the south side. I look forward to connecting with you @Ibn Abney at one of your meetups!

  • Rental Property Investor · Channahon, IL · Member since 2018 · 161 posts · 103 votes
    7y

    @Ibn Abney congratulations ‘the Phoenix rises from the ashes’ so to speak!  Good deals are out there, just have to be patient and know your areas to see if the numbers work.

  • Real Estate Broker · Bay Area · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    Nice! That's the correct way to BRRRR.

  • Rental Property Investor · Central Florida · Member since 2019 · 7 posts · 5 votes
    7y

    Very nice congrats!

  • Investor · NV and CA · Member since 2016 · 374 posts · 227 votes
    7y

    @Ibn Abney- Excellent work!

    How do you know if the plumbing has to be replaced?  Is that something that's covered by the inspection?

  • New to Real Estate · CO · Member since 2019 · 22 posts · 7 votes
    7y

    Thanks for sharing. Nice!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.