Favorite North Side Chicago Neighborhoods for 2-4 units?

Favorite North Side Chicago Neighborhoods for 2-4 units?

Rental Property Investor · Prospect Heights, IL · Member since 2017 · 9 posts · 4 votes

Hi everyone,

I am looking to move into the city of Chicago and house hack a 2 - 4 unit, what north side neighborhoods are your favorites?

1Reply
21 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
6y

@Frank Serrano 

I house hack a 4 unit in Edgewater/Rogers Park and love the area. Albany Park and Irving Park are where you can find the highest cashflow right now and still be near the hot areas. I also have a lot of clients buying in Logan Square and along Milwaukee Corridor. 

You need to find a good deal though for the north side to work. Markets hot. We usually do this by finding properties with under market rents that haven't been raised for many years and then either just raising them with professional leasing or mild renovations. 

When running numbers keep in mind new lower interest rates for house hacks. I have a lender that will do in house 3.75% to 4% fixed 30 year with no pmi at 5% down right now closed 2 loans with him recently. This is a huge savings over previously higher rates.

Feel free to reach out if any questions on specific north side areas. 

See this reply in the discussion

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 238 posts · 68 votes
    6y

    I've always been a fan of Albany Park myself, but I moved down south once it got outside my price range. A lot of the north side is just crazy expensive right now and property taxes up there are a nightmare. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2019 · 448 posts · 320 votes
    6y

    I'm partial to Lakeview, Edgewater and Rogers Park.  

  • Jake FugmanBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 256 posts · 250 votes
    6y

    @Frank Serrano depends on budget and strategy (cash flow or appreciation). Its tough to find anything in good condition that hits the 1% rule so you will need to look for a fixer if you want to be w/in 45 min commute downtown.  Around $125-150k/unit I like Lincoln Square. Under $125K/unit West Rogers Park has some good value.   Anything under $125k on the northside will be in pretty distressed condition from my experience. 

    The Axon Group4.981 Reviews
  • Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    @Frank Serrano 

    I house hack a 4 unit in Edgewater/Rogers Park and love the area. Albany Park and Irving Park are where you can find the highest cashflow right now and still be near the hot areas. I also have a lot of clients buying in Logan Square and along Milwaukee Corridor. 

    You need to find a good deal though for the north side to work. Markets hot. We usually do this by finding properties with under market rents that haven't been raised for many years and then either just raising them with professional leasing or mild renovations. 

    When running numbers keep in mind new lower interest rates for house hacks. I have a lender that will do in house 3.75% to 4% fixed 30 year with no pmi at 5% down right now closed 2 loans with him recently. This is a huge savings over previously higher rates.

    Feel free to reach out if any questions on specific north side areas. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2019 · 448 posts · 320 votes
    6y

    ^ This.  Pretty much all I look for in Chicago are value add deals...distressed, mismanaged, vacant, BK, etc.  A turnkey property in the North Side of Chicago...let's just say it doesn't usually pencil.  

  • Rental Property Investor · Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 76 posts · 64 votes
    6y

    @Henry Lazerow

    Is your lender national or local?

  • Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y
    @Steven Lowe is absolutely right.

    @Frank Serrano -- My question is: Why are you only looking at the North side? You'll get better/more pickin's on the South side. Follow the Orange line and stay within easy walking/commuting (bus) distance to the Orange line and you'll have better chances of finding something where the numbers work. Ditto the Green and Red lines although they can be spotty.

  • Rental Property Investor · Prospect Heights, IL · Member since 2017 · 9 posts · 4 votes
    6y

    @John Clark I'm mostly interested in the North Side so I can stay a bit closer to family and friends near there, but if I can find properties in good neighborhoods around other areas I'm open to it

  • Rental Property Investor · Prospect Heights, IL · Member since 2017 · 9 posts · 4 votes
    6y

    Thanks for all the information everybody! I will check out the areas you all mentioned

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2011 · 15 posts · 6 votes
    6y

    @Henry Lazerow 5% down with no PMI at those rates? Sounds too good to be true. Would love to get more info about this type of loan.

  • Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    He normally does special doctor loans and just offers same set up for my north side clients with good income/credit. We didn't believe it at first either but I closed 2 with him so far this year it's legit. My local conventional lender can do 4.25% no pmi right now on 2 flats also at 5% down. Rates are down all over you just got to shop around. 

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2014 · 155 posts · 42 votes
    6y

    Irving park, rogers park, albany park, avondale

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.